#19 Nick Salter (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure salter would've been given AFL time this year had he not been injured. He was listed as an emergency before hurting his foot. He'll get his chance, I'm sure of it.

I goddamn hope so. A future of John Butcher and Nick Salter with Westhoff floating through sounds damn awesome on paper at the very least. Butcher for the contests, Salter for the leads and the accuracy, Westhoff providing a bit of both to keep the opponents on their toes.

I see a forward line made up of Stewart, Westhoff, and Butcher as much more likely Bernie. Though I do hope Salter gets a chance to prove me wrong, I love his old fashioned style.

My PAFC Future Forward Line

FP Gray FF Salter FP ______
FF Moore CHF Butcher FF J Westhoff

Great mix there now Salter stay at home FF Lynch role Butcher in tredders mould Westhoff stretching the backline's hieght with moore as moore swaps through the middle

Now hopefully Hitchcock/young/newton can develop into that roving/crumbing forward in the other FP

Thoughts on Salter for the coming season?

Will he finally manage to break into the side on a regular basis? If not how many games can you see him playing?

0-7

Paul Stewart should get picked before him as that 190cmish defender and is behind quite many if he would play forward, shame really. All depends on injury, can't see him cracking our best 22 without significant improvement

I see him playing nearly all of them barring injury. Really cemented his spot in the back 6 in the last few games he played of 2011 IMO.

He'd have to be rated behind butcher, schulz, westhoff, lobbe, daniel stewart, maybe even renouf now as a forward option. And despite the good things he does in the back like his composure and attack on the ball and beautiful, he's still no good in a contest. Personally I would like to see him in the chaplin role, but he'll be a depth player, no more.

With Butcher having an interrupted pre season, Salter need to play in the forward line in the pre season games. He needs to be given the opportunity to show what he can do up forward, and if he can't cut it, then that will help to indicate whether he has a future in attack.

With Butcher having an interrupted pre season, Salter need to play in the forward line in the pre season games. He needs to be given the opportunity to show what he can do up forward, and if he can't cut it, then that will help to indicate whether he has a future in attack.

Couldn't agree more, I remember reading articles when he was first drafted saying they wanted him to be the replacement for Tredders yet we have barely seen him in the forward line for more than 2 minutes over the whole time he has been with us.

#19 NICK SALTER

24 / 191 / 96

212487.jpg

SANFL Stats:
Games: 2
Disposals: 28
Disposal Efficiency: 60.7
Marks: 8
Clearances: 0
Tackles: 2
Inside50: 7
Rebound50: 3
Goals: 2
Best Players: 0

VOTES:
BigFooty: 1 (=34th)
Port:
Macca19: 2 (37th)

AFL Stats:
Games: 6
Disposals: 87
Disposal Efficiency: 85.0
Marks: 16
Contested Marks: 1
Clearances: 4
Tackles: 11
Inside50: 8
Rebound50: 34
Contested Possession: 23
Goals: 0
Goal Assists: 0
Best Players: 1

Notes:
* 1st Disposal Efficiency
* 10th Rebound 50s

Nick was another player whos year was shortened significantly due to injury. He managed just the 8 games across all competitions due to a foot fracture that kept him out of the first 3 months of the season and a claf injury that shouldn’t his year a few games early.

He spent all his six AFL matches in defence and ended up leading the league in Rebound 50s per game. Mind you, Nick also played in a number of our worst losses for the year meaning that the ball was in his area a lot. He struggled in his key defensive role and was often beaten by his opponent and had little support from teammates.

Nick seems destined to spend the rest of his AFL days in a defensive role, despite some impressive form up forward in his first two seasons at the club. He was offered a new two year contract at the end of the season. Hopefully with a big pre season and an injury free year we can see some of the consistent form we know he can perform throughout 2012.

oscrw8.jpg

Previous History
2008 – 31st
2009 – 29th
2010 – 27th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salter's unlucky run with injury continues:

Link

Salter Struck Again By Foot Concerns

Port Adelaide defender Nick Salter has endured another setback in his push to fill a mainstay position in the Power back line with scans and x-rays showing "slight stress to the bone" according to Football Operations Manager, Peter Rohde.

Link

Looks like another set back to Salter's injury concerns.

"In other injury news, Nick Salter has suffered a setback with his foot injury, being forced to undergo surgery to insert a screw in his fractured foot.

It is an unfortunate setback for the 24 year old who suffered a similar injury early in 2011, which sidelined him for almost three months.
" -portadelaidefc.com.au

The big question venturing into my thoughts is whether Port will delist him at next seasons end? If he can make it back before the end of the year and play a few games to remind everyone why he's here, he would be ok, but what are the chances of that happening?

Gotta feel for the bloke. He's had Matthew Primus-like luck when it comes to his injury.

Originally posted by Macca19

#19 NICK SALTER

248726.jpg

SANFL Reserves Stats:
Games: 2
Disposals: 24
Marks: 9
Goals: 3

SANFL Stats:
Games: 3
Disposals: 21
Marks: 1
Goals: 3

Notes:
2012 was not a good year for Nick. He managed just the 5 matches of football throughout the season and only 2 at senior SANFL level. A persistent foot injury saw Nick miss 15 matches throughout the year. It remains up in the air whether Nick will have a contract for 2013.

f1h98i.jpg

Salter returns from injury this week and will resume in the SANFL reserves.

Link

Salter returns, Mitchell placed back on rookie list

mitchellR313_246_246X316.jpg

IN a bittersweet stroke for Port Adelaide, defender Nick Salter has been removed from the long-term injury list and is available to play football this weekend, but rookie Kane Mitchell will be forced back to the SANFL as a result.

Salter was cleared to return to football by club fitness staff on Wednesday after suffering a foot fracture during the pre-season.

He will play for aligned SANFL side Woodville-West Torrens this weekend, initially in the reserves.

Link

As posted by Doctor Feel

A story about Nick Salter:

Nick Salter was no sooner through the Ainslie door than coach Chris Rourke was on to him about bringing some of his mates across from Adelaide.
The former Port Power player is the only ex-AFL player that a Canberra club was able to land during the off-season and he joins ex-St Kilda player Nick Heyne at the club at the Tricolours.

He played 21 games in six years with the Power, his career curtailed by stress fractures in his feet.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-to-ainslie-20140328-zqo30.html#ixzz2xH2WS6Vj

I can still recall Nick Salter's first AFL game against the aints, when after two enormous 1st qtr goals he was knocked absolutely rotten by a head high Goddard tackle.

Foot problems aside, I still believe he was poorly utilised by both Choco and MP when they tried to turn a natural goal kicking forward who was arguably the longest and straightest kick on the list at the time into a defender.

There has been a defensive mania on some players. We have had some very good attacking and midfield players who have not been anywhere near as good in the backline. Peter Burgoyne, Steven Salopek, Danyle Pearce, Nick Salter, Jasper Pittard, Adam Kingsley, Stewart Dew; even Ben Jacobs' 1 or 2 good games were played in midfield or forward. In some of these cases(Pittard and Kingsley in particular) we did have a first-rate midfield so there was nowhere else to play them. Stewart Dew was a first-rate forward and scored bags of 6 but did not play there as much as he should. Salopek and Pearce were either not accountable enough or too easily isolated against a larger opponent for defensive positions.

It would be fair to say as well Ken already has Salter's card marked when he arrived at the club, when we were screaming out for another body forward in the middle of last year, he plucked Butcher from obscurity, and even gace Campbell Heath a run in the forward lines when Salter was showing decent (not great admittedly) SANFL form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back