Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he really among the four or five best performed HBs this year? Think Wood, Murphy, McVeigh, Shaw and Kolodjashnij would be ahead of him at least.
Probably those just ahead of him, Kolo, Shaw and Mcveigh would have conceded more goals than Wright, but they're more attacking players.

Wood only just beats him, but Wright should be considered for the top 40 squad, but that will be filled with midfielders.

Honestly, the most ridiculous thing i have read here since the "Gibson is vital to our game plan" bizo of the pre season.

Wood = 1st rounder, Wrighty we'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder.

AA squad... please mate.

Honestly, the most ridiculous thing i have read here since the "Gibson is vital to our game plan" bizo of the pre season.

Wood = 1st rounder, Wrighty we'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder.

AA squad... please mate.
Just an educated opinion on it all using comparative stats to Wood and he stacks up well stats wise, not going to get into another pointless argument with you about players.

His ability to use both sides of his body to dispose of the footy effectively gets us out of so many bad situations, it's not even funny.

He's definitely one of the players we should be building our future around.

His ability to use both sides of his body sets him apart from just about every other player on our list.

The amount of one sided players would now be at the highest level in my time watching AFL and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I know you hate him but give me a spell.

Hate is too strong. I like him, glad he plays for us... think he makes a few too many blues with ball in hand to ever be considered elite, not to mention not being fast or good enough to combat the games truly elite small forwards. The odd aberation aside (breust last year etc)

Levi was worth pick 25, so i don't think we'd get more than a 3rd rounder.

Atley, MacMillan and McDonald will be / are all better than he.

Easton Wood would get a 1st rounder? Are you on ice Arjen?

You have been around footy long enough to know that some players are so hot right now. He just happens to be one of them.

Nah mate, will hit the gear later tonight though if you want in?

Hate is too strong. I like him, glad he plays for us... think he makes a few too many blues with ball in hand to ever be considered elite, not to mention not being fast or good enough to combat the games truly elite small forwards. The odd aberation aside (breust last year etc)

McDonald at this stage is nothing but a plodder. Slow as a wet week, and doesn't lower his eyes enough with disposal by foot. Jesus I hope the pick 8 we payed for him in 2013 pays off otherwise we could be made to look like right fools choosing sentiment instead of logical choice based on talent...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonald at this stage is nothing but a plodder. Slow as a wet week, and doesn't lower his eyes enough with disposal by foot. Jesus I hope the pick 8 we payed for him in 2013 pays off otherwise we could be made to look like right fools choosing sentiment instead of logical choice based on talent...
If it was purely a sentimental pick WC wouldn't have bid pick 7 for him. He'll come good, just a slight case of the 2nd year blues.

dude, why do you have 98 in your username?

98 wouldn't be used by a true North supporter under any circumstances.

McDonald is 5 years younger mate and is judged unfairly. His kicking has improved a lot simce he came back in to the team.

The third round starts at pick 40.

dude, why do you have 98 in your username?

98 wouldn't be used by a true North supporter under any circumstances.

McDonald is 5 years younger mate and is judged unfairly. His kicking has improved a lot simce he came back in to the team.
'98 wouldn't be used by a true North supporter' Jesus crucify me for my age and supporting my club.... I am a loyal member and just stating my opinion...

'98 wouldn't be used by a true North supporter' Jesus crucify me for my age and supporting my club.... I am a loyal member and just stating my opinion...

It's because 1998 doesn't exist in the minds of many North supporters.

It's because 1998 doesn't exist in the minds of many North supporters.
There's a big gap between Victoria and WA too. I don't what it is or even care to know.

Yeah, you're young and loyal. But your opinion on Luke doesn't make much sense, as demonstrated by the "choosing on sentiment" call, which the next post proved to be rubbish.

I sort of agree with ya Ajen, although I think Sammy is highly skilled on both sides but doesn't use his skills enough. He's got into the safe option of kickin long to a contest too often. I think he's good enough to start tacking more risks like trying to hit someone on the 45 and try to create more. he's good enough for it.

You have been around footy long enough to know that some players are so hot right now. He just happens to be one of them.

Nah mate, will hit the gear later tonight though if you want in?

Yet you continually ride Harpers dick so why on earth would anyone listen to your opinion on any player on our list.

I honestly don't get the criticism on Sammy in truth. He has been our best defender all season bar none.

Blame everyone else for not going past him.

Yet you continually ride Harpers dick so why on earth would anyone listen to your opinion on any player on our list.

AFL rankings:

Sam Wright @ 302
Wood @ 56

Your honour, I rest my case.

Re: Harper, yes i would play him ahead of many regulars. He'd, imo, have played for the doggies this year had that trade gone through..... why?

hard, fast & skilful my friend.

dual sided, good bloke, private school edumacated, aerobic capacity, training form and wonderful listener in bullshit meetings should not dictate who gets a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back