Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Who r U and what have you done with ARJEN?

Honestly don't know where he sits.

Has the potential to be a decent B grade player, but would hope our 2016 back 6 looks like this:

McDonald - Tarrant - Thompson
Atley - Carlisle - MacMillan

with Mullet, Vickers-Willis, Durdin & Nielson as back up.
And if we have a spate of injuries, Wells & Dal can go back.

In my eyes... that is premiership standard. Wrighty is just too slow and not robust enough to play the role. I certainly don't despise him (ala gibbo) but I ain't waving pom poms either.

Has the potential to be a decent B grade player, but would hope our 2016 back 6 looks like this:

In my eyes... that is premiership standard. Wrighty is just too slow and not robust enough to play the role. I certainly don't despise him (ala gibbo) but I ain't waving pom poms either.

Have another closer look at Atley game.......missed many a target he did. McDonald will eventually go forward even Atley for that matter. Wells is in his last year. We all know it for 2016, and at best that may be a handful of games.

Nah bro, you're wrong here... you would have been (W)right twelve months ago, but he has actually improved out of sight. His intercept/contested marking is outstanding for his size, and his gliding like pace with the ability to kick off both feet is unmatched. He's found his own now and is an integral part of our 22.

I'm wrapped he's in. After his cut-off v essendon last year I would have signed him for 35 years if I were on the board. It's up to him how far how wide, far and wobbly he goes but as far as i've seen over the last few years he's been cranking it up and if I could I would provide the stats. They're out there........

So old mate is saying that because Wright signed a contract in '14 for one year with a trigger, he didn't have to sign to be a contracted player for '16.

He must be talking about an extension.

1641669_orig.gif

I have confidence things will be sorted and a fair offer and extension agreed upon in the coming months.

Onya Sammy!

Nah bro, you're wrong here... you would have been (W)right twelve months ago, but he has actually improved out of sight. His intercept/contested marking is outstanding for his size, and his gliding like pace with the ability to kick off both feet is unmatched. He's found his own now and is an integral part of our 22.

Well said, Marky Marksup. Never really understood Arjen's issue with Wrighty, but then I can't say I've ever tried that hard. I assume it's just a glitch. (Aka 'a Spurk quirk'.) Probably best to ignore it and move on (and hope that he doesn't mistake any of this as an invitation to further extrapolate on his theories on Sammy).

Back on topic....as you point out, Sam's ability to kick off both feet alone is a huge asset. People who bemoan our lack of skill and polish should be rapt that we have this bloke in our side. I sometimes reckon his ambidexterity is so seamless that people kind of almost forget its there.

Walters is a gun.

What has happened to Wrighty since the Elimination Final is nothing short of staggering.

I think we underrate the confidence that eventuates from a successful finals campaign. A couple of players have mentioned that that experience has been a major boon for their development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Forwards TennisPlayerAndy Gasometer still wtfing over this. Up there with the selection of Gibson as sub in 2013 against Carlton when he was in hot form.
After all that crap we dished up in Adelaide and Wright was first to go.. god almighty

I know. There were ******* riots in Katamatite that night...well a wheelie bin was kicked according to the Shepparton News.

I think he came in underdone, so probably shouldn't have been playing.

Been fantastic for a while now. Hoping an extension is a formality.

Late inclusion the next week so all good.

But to pick him out of that pile of crap was ridiculous. Ironically he is probably in our top 3 most consistent players.

Well said, Marky Marksup. Never really understood Arjen's issue with Wrighty, but then I can't say I've ever tried that hard. I assume it's just a glitch. (Aka 'a Spurk quirk'.) Probably best to ignore it and move on (and hope that he doesn't mistake any of this as an invitation to further extrapolate on his theories on Sammy).

Back on topic....as you point out, Sam's ability to kick off both feet alone is a huge asset. People who bemoan our lack of skill and polish should be rapt that we have this bloke in our side. I sometimes reckon his ambidexterity is so seamless that people kind of almost forget its there.

I hope people actually realise how hard it is to kick on the opposite foot as well. I wouldn't kick a goal in a game of Auskick on my left...

That was a strange little article (from The Age, IIRC) about Wright's SA manager not sounding too happy with what the club announced had occurred. Hopefully, it was just a wording technicality in the press release.

What was the story with his ankle issue late in the final quarter?

Stepped on a player's ankle as he went to contest that pack where Picken ended up goaling.

Brad said it was a minor rolled ankle & he should be fine.

Put him on Dedildo to clamp him down Floggard style!

Jacobs on Crutchin
Not only did he cut Dedildo to shreds he is the master of the intercept. That intercept from the Conca utensil-up and consequence daisy cutter (on the left mind you) to Higgins in the clutch was 2014 *EF-esque!

I have a massive man crush on the..

mad-max-interceptor-920-1.jpg

I genuinely don't know which is his better foot - right or left?

I saw AT LEAST two beautiful passes to Higgins off the left on Sunday alone, not to mention all the other times he's done it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back