1st Ashes Test Day 3 Cardiff

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the pitch fellas? I didn't watch any of it last night.

Bit of uneven bounce but still a good track.....now watch us get rolled for 200 on this!

I think England have fallen into our trap perfectly. Put them in a position where they have to win... Then chase down 400+ to win and demoralize them for the rest of the series. We have lulled them into a false sense of security. Get ready for an Aussie 5-0 whitewash

Last edited:
I'll be surprised if Aus chase this, they'll probably look to chase it and be rolled for ~280

Day 5 is apparently going to be a wash out, best option for Aus here would to bat out day 4 and hope most of the 5th days play is washed out otherwise it's 0-1 England.

Tail starts at 6, we are no chance unless one of the top 3 can make 150+, but even then its unlikely.

Conservative and illogical selections will be to blame for this loss.

The fact they almost didn't pick Lyon as well just further shows how they seem to have NFI. Lyon always does his job for the team but always seems to be on the brink whereas others get a free ride. So frustrating.

Anyway I'm still hoping we can pull off a miracle but expecting to be bowled for under 250.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think England will be too unhappy about getting bowled out last night, with a lead of 411 and rain forecast on Sunday they probably would've declared overnight anyway.

Hard to see Australia chasing that down, even just surviving for a day will be tough enough with the pitch getting harder and harder to bat on..The England bowlers don't give away too many freebie loose balls like Starc or Johnson do either so runs will be hard to come by.

Have to say I've been impressed by England, Bayliss looks like he has instilled a really tough aggressive edge to them that is unlike England teams of old.

If Australia lose this test which seems likely they will have their work cut out winning the series as England don't look like rolling over.

Day 3 Player rankings

Australia
Watson 4/10 - bowled better than the figures suggest, once again under utilised by Clarke. Batting absolute failure.
Lyon 8/10 - bowled well deserving his 4 wicket haul.
Haddin 3/10 - at least he didn't drop anyone, but performance behind the stumps wasn't anything to write home about and the way he batted was not what was required at that time, we needed to build a partnership and he never looked like he was even interested in doing that.
Johnson 4.5/10 - looked alright batting but needed to build something with Haddin. but bowled a lot better than 1st innings (although that wouldn't of been hard)
Starc 7/10 - bowled much better than 1st innings.
Hazelwood 7/10 - consistent again with the ball showing he is up to test level.

Clarke 6.5/10 - much better performance as captain and blinder of a catch.

England
Cook 3.5/10 - knew scoring runs would be much easier with new ball than old, setting the tone for the top order
Lyth 5/10 - much better performance, but there are some questions about how he plays spin.
Balance 2/10 - didn't handle short delivering that reared up. Can expect a lot more of them for the remainder of the series.
Bell 7.5/10 - any half century of this pitch is well deserved
Root 7.5/10 - backed up well from 1st innings.
Stokes 6/10 - solid 42 with the bat.
Butler 4/10 - didn't look all that comfortable out there. Kept well for the time for the short time he was out there
Ali 5/10 - ok with bat, just sort of average for the day. Tonight is his big day to shine.
Broad 6/10 - bowled well was clearly only ever going to chase quick runs, but he is #9.
Wood 9.5/10 - can't really fault anything he did, bowled well, great cameo to push lead over 400.
Anderson 8.5/10 - set the tone cleaning up tail quickly. Proved is a proper #11 with bat.

Although Australia bowled much better day still belongs to England. Cleaning up last 5 wickets quickly and setting target of over 400. Australia will need to bat out of their skins to win this from here, but if they take there time and can get through Day 4 could salvage a draw because weather forecast for Day 5 is terrible.

If Clarke has lost faith in Watson with the ball then his position will be filled. Hopefully marsh can come in, bowl a tight line, and winkle out a wicket here and there.

I'll be surprised if Aus chase this, they'll probably look to chase it and be rolled for ~280

Day 5 is apparently going to be a wash out, best option for Aus here would to bat out day 4 and hope most of the 5th days play is washed out otherwise it's 0-1 England.

Yeah? If the Aussies can somehow be hanging on through the last session, you just know they will play an extra half an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back