Traded 2. Billie Smedts (2011-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Billie Smedts

Thanks for these!

Love seeing those run downs, and further evidence he is a good mark, has amazing agility getting out of congestion and has good vision!

At times the ball drop does seem a little bit dodgy , then other time its look alright. Highlights can be selected but he really only made one clanger that I saw on those two vids.One may just have to wait till we seem him under the pressure of a step to really judge.

The impressive thing is the way he was happy to play forward and back , and was quite a strong mark( Bartel-ish ). Perfect NO but this kid should be a real win for us.

Just popped up on my facebook...

Linkage here
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/cats tv/tabid/7942/default.aspx#playvideo

No good at all :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Wish him all the best, hopefully a speedy recovery - good pre season and we get to see him next year

EDIT: For those that can't get the video to play*: Smedts has had hip surgery and gone for the year but club confident it will fix the problem for the long term.

* Rubbish AFL site. The only way you can get anything to work on it is by using IE and even then the video only come up with the top corner of Balme's head. At least it had sound

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/GeelongNews/NewsArticle/tabid/3933/newsid/121665/default.aspx

AS Geelong’s top draft pick, Billie Smedts had every right and reason to think he would get to play AFL football at some stage during 2011.

Initially feeling serious pain in his back, Smedts was diagnosed with problems that required surgery in May to shave bone off both hips, 12 weeks rehabilitation and a mountain of disappointment.
“It hasn’t been the dream start I wanted,” Smedts said. “It’s the first year I’ve ever missed football and it just happens to be the most important year to me. It’s been extremely difficult.

Midfielder James Kelly has mentored Smedts when it comes to dealing physically and mentally with a season-ending injury, while defender Andrew Mackie has kept him updated and educated on game plan and tactics.

“I can’t wait,” Smedts said on Monday. “It’s been a long time coming, but it’s going to be good getting out with the boys.
“I always thought I was a chance to come back this year, but that was just wishful thinking. I finally got my head around it and I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can and get my body in as good a shape for next year as possible.’’
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/GeelongNews/NewsArticle/tabid/3933/newsid/121665/default.aspx

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back! (Nine senior players remain

# 2 Billie Smedts

Height - 189cm Weight - 79kgs
Drafted 2010 - pick 15, 2011 Games - 0

The knock about young kid from Warrnambool who's father Alby played VFL for the Saints and Bulldogs entered season 2011 hoping to break into the senior side as a utility player capable of playing as either a medium sized forward or back, with the feeling that the club may have ear marked him for a position in the back half and for awhile pre-season for 2011 started looking promising for our #15 pick in the 2010 draft until early 2011 when during pre-season training he started to notice some pain in his back. Scans lead to the discovery in early May that Billie had a issue with bone spurs on his hip joints that would require surgery to correct.

The surgery was completed successfully and was at the time expected to see a 12 week recovery time but the club thinking of Billie's long term health decided to have him sit out for the year and allow him to fully recover in time to be right to take part in all the pre-season training for season 2012.

Billie has joined the players as part of the training camp at Falls Creek and has been taking part in all of the drills and sessions in a bid to impress the selection committee in hopes of being able to get a game in 2012 something that all Cat fans look forward to seeing.

"I feel like I'm starting my career with Geelong now," Smedts said.

"The first thing is just to get through the pre-season and get my body in the best shape I can, so that when the NAB Cup comes around I can hopefully put my hand up and get a few games.

"I hope I can show some things to 'Scotty' [Cats coach Chris Scott] that he likes, so he'll put me in the team for round one, which would be a nice little reward."

Smedlts in a recent interview with GFC.com.au on his pre-season so far

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 15 - Billie Smedts

I hate to say it, I hope I am wrong...but his kicking action reminds me of lot of Kane Tenace..

At times the ball drop does seem a little bit dodgy , then other time its look alright. Highlights can be selected but he really only made one clanger that I saw on those two vids.One may just have to wait till we seem him under the pressure of a step to really judge.

The impressive thing is the way he was happy to play forward and back , and was quite a strong mark( Bartel-ish ). Perfect NO but this kid should be a real win for us.

What's up with Smedts' kicking?

When I first saw him run around in the NAB Cup last year, my first impression was that he was a beautiful kick.

Now it seems he's a bit of a scrubber.

To throw a first round pick at a bloke with a flawed kicking action is an interesting move.

What's up with Smedts' kicking?

When I first saw him run around in the NAB Cup last year, my first impression was that he was a beautiful kick.

Now it seems he's a bit of a scrubber.

To throw a first round pick at a bloke with a flawed kicking action is an interesting move.

Swayed by his agility marks? Same way Tennaces speed got attention...
Lets hope he doesn't go down the same path..
Has a few more tricks I think so should be a much better player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....and already a better player than Tenace....

He's young, has played 20 games, and has a very big upside.

Smedts is doing all right.

He is not a bad kick and the more he has shots at goal the more reliable he will become , imo. But he is not as fluid as some and at time he will have shockers. But his play thru the middle, in trafic is so far superior to Tenace , its not worth comparison.

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 15 - Billie Smedts

I hate to say it, I hope I am wrong...but his kicking action reminds me of lot of Kane Tenace..

I think some of the problem with his action is his hands don't fall so much by his side as the ball is guided to the foot as a text book action is, but Billies' ball drop is high and his arms fly out horizontally and it just looks weird. He seemed to have no trouble banging that goal from 50 against the Bombers last week. So if his action looks weird but gets results vive la difference.

I love Billie Smedts and I definitely want to see him succeed, but at the risk of looking like I'm being pessimistic about his development thus far, am I the only one who thinks that Billie may not be progressing as quickly as the club would have liked? I think he's got so much raw, natural potential, but there's just something lacking that is stopping him from becoming a solid contributor and cementing a spot in the best 22.

He seems to go missing throughout games, none more so than today at AAMI stadium against the Crows. I'm not sure whether it's a lack of intensity, whether he struggles to read the game or he's just being played out of position. But whatever those reasons are, he really seems like he's all at sea and I just can't seem to put my finger on it. He didn't struggle last week against Melbourne with very little pressure, but this week when the heat was turned up, he was for the most part no where to be seen.

I hope I'm just pulling the trigger prematurely, as the last thing I'm trying to do is knock Billie. Perhaps he just needs more time to develop, which is something that I'm more than happy to afford him the adequate time to do so. I just had certain concerns about him which I have observed, and so I was curious to see what other Cat fans think.

Hasn't found that touch since he injured himself against Collingwood in round 8.

I'm guessing that when your inexperienced, sometimes it takes you back to square one again and we may need patience before he builds his confidence up.

Hasn't found that touch since he injured himself against Collingwood in round 8.

I'm guessing that when your inexperienced, sometimes it takes you back to square one again and we may need patience before he builds his confidence up.
I know that he can become a great player for us, my concrrn is whether he will actually become that player. Round 1 v the Hawks he had a great game, probably the best game I've seen him play. I got really excited after that match as I thought he was about to have a breakout year.

Let's hope his injuries this year have just been a minor setback and that he'll click into gear real soon. Time is running out for Billie this year though, with finals approaching and more players coming back from injury and available for selection, spots will be tight and you'll have to be breaking down the door in the VFL if you want to make it into the best 22.

I know that he can become a great player for us, my concrrn is whether he will actually become that player. Round 1 v the Hawks he had a great game, probably the best game I've seen him play. I got really excited after that match as I thought he was about to have a breakout year.

but look at the size of him mate.
He's a twig, he has trouble keeping his feet when tackled, he needs another 2-3 seasons of gym work before he's able to provide us with consistent footy.

This is no different to many footballers who enter the league, it's why solidly built teenagers with an A game are snapped up relatively high in the draft as they are ready-made for footy.
I dunno what Smedts profile is but I'm guessing he's only about 80 odd kilo's, I can remember Bartel, Ablett, Corey and more doing similar...had obvious talent but just weren't strong enough to dominate against men for a full four quarters over a course of 20 or more games a year.
(patience...It'll come :))

but look at the size of him mate.
He's a twig, he has trouble keeping his feet when tackled, he needs another 2-3 seasons of gym work before he's able to provide us with consistent footy.

This is no different to many footballers who enter the league, it's why solidly built teenagers with an A game are snapped up relatively high in the draft as they are ready-made for footy.
I dunno what Smedts profile is but I'm guessing he's only about 80 odd kilo's, I can remember Bartel, Ablett, Corey and more doing similar...had obvious talent but just weren't strong enough to dominate against men for a full four quarters over a course of 20 or more games a year.
(patience...It'll come :))
Billie is built very similar to Nat Fyfe. His height and weight are almost identical, and Fyfe is only one year older. I know Billie had a hip injury which set him back a year, but still. No two players are created equal, so I guess I shouldn't compare them, but Nathan Fyfe is the player I crave for Billie to be like, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Fyfe ay...the bloke with arguably the worst disposal use of any young player in the league.

I'm hoping he becomes more of a all-rounder type, someone who can play forward/midfield/defense. The type of player that could get thrown in the middle for half a quarter and impact the game immediately. Just needs to bulk up a bit more though.
What's Fyfe's DE? I hadn't noticed him being a poor user of the ball. There's a difference between missing a target and kicking to space. Do DE's take this into account? In any case, Fyfe knows how to read the play really well and find the footy. That's where most of Billie's improvement is needed, oh and set shots at goal!

the recent game against Fremantle is proof, Fyfe was Fremantle's leading stat gatherer but it almost seemed as though he was missing most of the night. Simply doesn't hurt the opposition (yet). Does some nice flashy brilliant things during a match, will pluck a high grab maybe two but Smedts can be better than that and you'd reckon the club would think the same.

I'm pretty sure that if you offered the club Fyfe's stats they'd take them. Given his clearance numbers his high clanger % and relatively low DE are understandable. Not that it has much bearing on Smedts, though. He's in his third season, the expectation should not be that he's dominating games - particularly given the role he's playing. I've got no doubt he'll make it.

I'm getting a tad worried. He looks great going sideways.
Is there a stat for that?

He really has to learn how to take more one on one marks. Right now (and I know it's still early) I dont trust him under pressure at all.

Never used to trust Lonners either !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back