Past #2: Brad McKenzie - pick #18 '11 draft - delisted end '16 season - 37 games for NM - Norwood '17

Remove this Banner Ad

LA kills them at that level. Just saying.

His DE and especially tackles is impressive though, credit where it is due.

Puts three or so games like that together and he might have earned another crack.

Bizarre post, not sure what bringing LA's VFL performances have to do with BMac's. Plenty of players can play well at VFL level and not translate it to the 1's, the same could be said for many. I was merely stating that he had responded well to being dropped which is good for a young bloke. Not really sure why people around here are so desperate to shut a young player down.

Bizarre post, not sure what bringing LA's VFL performances have to do with BMac's. Plenty of players can play well at VFL level and not translate it to the 1's, the same could be said for many. I was merely stating that he had responded well to being dropped which is good for a young bloke. Not really sure why people around here are so desperate to shut a young player down.

What bizarre about it? VFL is a long way off AFL, and a bunch of stats are almost meaningless.

LA showed that again on Fri night - he simply isn't up to it despite his million possessions and so on at VFL level.

As I said, it appears BMac was willing to tackle and work defensively, and that is a positive no doubt. Good on him for responding.

No one is shutting down McKenzie, all supporters would prefer he became AFL standard and a quality player in future. Despite your own very high opinion of BMac, there is a reason he is back in the 2s. Those same reasons have been discussed at length in this thread.

Last edited:
What bizarre about it? VFL is a long way off AFL, and a bunch of stats are almost meaningless.

LA showed that again on Fri night - he simply isn't up to it despite his million possessions and so on at VFL level.

As I said, it appears BMac was willing to tackle and work defensively, and that is a positive no doubt. Good on him for responding.

No one is shutting down McKenzie, all supporters would prefer he became AFL standard and a quality player in future. Despite your own very high opinion of BMac, there is a reason he is back in the 2s. Those same reasons have been discussed at length in this thread.

VFL stats are meaningless? Lol okay.

VFL stats are meaningless? Lol okay.

I said "almost". And yes, LA is proof of that.

Players need to perform at AFL level. Some do, some don't. BMac will fall into one of these categories, and i'm sure will be given every opportunity to make it - be great for him and the team if he can. There is no point discussing further at this stage.

At the same age, Cunnington was killing it in the VFL but struggling in the AFL. It is staggering to me that with this very example in our team of "kids take time" that many a willing to discard McKenzie permanently. It is right there in front of our very eyes for *s sake.

Mate, what is with you being so w@nky? It wasn't a bizarre post at all! It stated that Anthony chops up the VFL, and on Friday nights evidence that doesn't always correlate to afl standard. He acknowledged bmacs hard work, and rightly said if he strings some together he will get another crack.

At the same age, Cunnington was killing it in the VFL but struggling in the AFL. It is staggering to me that with this very example in our team of "kids take time" that many a willing to discard McKenzie permanently. It is right there in front of our very eyes for ****s sake.
Yeah but na.....
BMac has no thirst for the contest..... Yet. Hopefully he finds it, Cunners always had that.

Yeah but na.....
BMac has no thirst for the contest..... Yet. Hopefully he finds it, Cunners always had that.
What does "thirst for the contest" even mean? At the same age Cunnington's only weapon was his handball just as McKenzie's is his kicking. He was slow, couldn't get to contests, was often caught holding the ball and was either sub or subbed many times with unflattering stats just like McKenzie. He looked a yard off the pass constantly just like McKenzie does now. Yeah, Cunnington had a "thirst for the contest". :rolleyes:

What does "thirst for the contest" even mean? At the same age Cunnington's only weapon was his handball just as McKenzie's is his kicking. He was slow, couldn't get to contests, was often caught holding the ball and was either sub or subbed many times with unflattering stats just like McKenzie. He looked a yard off the pass constantly just like McKenzie does now. Yeah, Cunnington had a "thirst for the contest". :rolleyes:
Yeah nice..... Cunners never went in hard, tackled, bumped, jostled..... Hard as a cats head since he was a junior. BMac sometimes resembles a netballer, not wanting to make contact. But good for you for not understanding what I meant... Must be tough being so much smarter than everyone else...

On the point of Anthony being a VFL superstar, what Anthony excels at in the VFL does translate to the AFL, so I don't think it's a good point to make. If you gave Anthony a four week run there's no doubt he'd be getting around 25+ touches a game, it was only 2/3 years ago where he led the AFL in possessions per 100 minutes.

The difference is we don't want Anthony getting it 25+ touches a game and now that we are developing more outside ball winners (most notably Gibson), we simply don't need what he provides.

So I think VFL form does matter for midfielders.

Also I wouldn't write off McKenzie just yet, it's pretty clear how much further his game will go just from an increased endurance base. I noticed that most of his jaw dropping kicks came in games where he was the sub, which I think shows how his game drops when he is huffing and puffing. He doesn't strike me as a player who is soft either, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume his pressure will rise with his fitness (as it did for Cunnington, another player we drafted with a poor fitness base).

I mean you look at where he needs to improve and there's nothing that's irreparable, most of the worst parts of his game should hopefully be improved on just with more endurance. A fresh player gives more leads, more pressure, plays quicker and makes better decisions... isn't that all he really needs to improve on?

Not sure I'd play him again this year, but I'm definitely not writing him off just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is his only flaw at this stage.......he deserves more time, we were at wits ends with Hansen and he delivers quite often now.

Hansen showed elite talent from game 1 but had injury issues and was being played out of position and/or shuffled back and forth like a yo-yo.

Another poor example compared to BMac. All young players deserve time, doesn't mean they will reach elite heights.

Hansen showed elite talent from game 1 but had injury issues and was being played out of position and/or shuffled back and forth like a yo-yo.

Another poor example compared to BMac. All young players deserve time, doesn't mean they will reach elite heights.
Very true. Though l thin BMac will become a good contributor for the next few years, just needs a little mongrel that the likes of Firrito and Cunners have.

The stark differences between Cunnington/Hansen and McKenzie are so plain that it would feel too ridiculous to point them out.

I haven't completely given up on Brad yet, but it's going to be a huge challenge for him. You don't kick the ball like that and go 18th in a very weak draft unless you have severe weaknesses in the rest of your game.

Good to see him play well in the VFL, and I hope he continues it for at least another month before we bring him back. If he could get the basics to an acceptable level, and if he could even manage a handful of attacking kicks per game in the front half of the ground, he'd be a worthy member of the best 22.

Very true. Though l thin BMac will become a good contributor for the next few years, just needs a little mongrel that the likes of Firrito and Cunners have.

Mongrel will help for sure, as will being prepared to get his hands dirty defensively, run/work harder, and find the right places. I hope you are right as yes he will contribute plenty to us with his kicking (as we lack polished finishers) if he can round out his game to become AFL standard.

The Cunnington-McKenzie comparison is not about saying they play the same; it's about saying players who are still quite young can improve.

Here is a list of some of our players who made significant improvements after 21:

Thompson, McMahon, Gibson, Nahas, Goldstein, Anthony, Wells, Thomas, Cunnington, Petrie, Adams, Brown.

I could do a list like that from just about every club. Point is don't write off McKenzie yet.

I don't understand why people comment about "writing him off"?

No one is from what i've read. Nor should they.

It is possible to discuss a player and his development, without reaching that conclusion based off balanced criticism of where he is at currently.

I don't understand why people comment about "writing him off"?

No one is from what i've read. Nor should they.

It is possible to discuss a player and his development, without reaching that conclusion based off balanced criticism of where he is at currently.

They were after the Brisbane game. A large portion of VERY unsavoury comments, not just about his ability but also his character, were directed his way.

They were after the Brisbane game. A large portion of VERY unsavoury comments, not just about his ability but also his character, were directed his way.
Yep.

What was said about his character??
Was it the soft thing?
Because, ummm, well on current evidence, I think that's a fair call.

What was said about his character??
Was it the soft thing?
Because, ummm, well on current evidence, I think that's a fair call.
What evidence do you have about his character? Have you ever met the bloke? Have you spoken to people at the club regarding his approach and work ethic? Do you have anything to go on other than what you interpret via the TV? If not I call your 'evidence' flimsy and such calls ill informed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back