Senior 1. Jack Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Made us jump 1 pick earlier than we would have anyway... I think that the plan was to maybe get another kid with 59 (54) and then take Jack with 60 (55).

I think that Dodo just did it for the lolz and to wind up his mate Stephen...

No doubt at all.

I was so inspired by this pickup I have written a little poem.

Make us proud Jack
Give it your best shot
And never forget..
Your mum is super hot.

Full of substance really. Thoughts?
It is sooooo clever that you should be awarded a BA(Hons), meaning a Bogan Award with Honours. ROFL

Made us jump 1 pick earlier than we would have anyway... I think that the plan was to maybe get another kid with 59 (54) and then take Jack with 60 (55).

I think that Dodo just did it for the lolz and to wind up his mate Stephen...
No, it made no difference what so ever. All it did was instead it being 53 Essendon 54 Carlton 55 Carlton, it went 53 Carlton, 54 Essendn, 55 Carlton.

We passed on 55. If we were going to take another player, we would have

Great to see the membership department actually used their brains and realised that Jack is a great way to help boost our membership numbers, they will probably be pretty low this year.

Obviously very happy with this pick! But does it mean now we can't pick up his other son/s?

And will this be the first time three generations of the one family have all played for the same club?
The Kennedy's all played with Hawthorn.

No doubt at all.
No I think Dodo, who is Italian like the Silvagnis don't forget (therefore delightfully nutty!), had mixed motives. One of them was the explanation he gave, namely that young Jack's talent and potential merited him being selected earlier than he was. Hopefully he is proven to be right-:)

No, it made no difference what so ever. All it did was instead it being 53 Essendon 54 Carlton 55 Carlton, it went 53 Carlton, 54 Essendn, 55 Carlton.

We passed on 55. If we were going to take another player, we would have
It actually helped us by giving us an extra pick. Didn't we get 56 as well or was that just a glitch?

No I think Dodo, who is Italian like the Silvagnis don't forget (therefore delightfully nutty!), had mixed motives. One of them was the explanation he gave, namely that young Jack's talent and potential merited him being selected earlier than he was. Hopefully he is proven to be right-:)

Whilst I agree, that Dodoro knew enough of Jack to be comfortable enough in taking him, I think it was a damn certainty at ~50 SOS was going to match. Was a friendly jab, not a doubt at all.

No that's not right. We had the 2 picks after Essendon. We originally had pick 59 and 60, but due to earlier academy and father son bidding, our picks were upgraded to 54 and 55.

Essendon then bid with 53. With the 20% discount, we easily covered it with pick 54. So our pick 54, becomes 53 and we pick up Silvagni. Essendon then has their go with pick 54 and then back to us with pick 55. We then pass that pick
We had 3 picks after the Essendon pick at 58... 59, 60, and 85.

As you said... with the father/son and academy bidding, we ended up at 55 and 56 with our final pick at 81.

And as I said, Essendon* bid on Jack, we matched it and passed after that. After bringing in the excess points from matching the bid, our final pick would have been 57.

But hey... we got Jack so who cares :)

Whilst I agree, that Dodoro knew enough of Jack to be comfortable enough in taking him, I think it was a damn certainty at ~50 SOS was going to match. Was a friendly jab, not a doubt at all.
Possibly true but, if true, then, contrary to some silly media reports, it was not a hostile move. According to SOS Essendon interviewed Jack a number of times. I am confident that Essendon would have been more than happy to pick Jack.

We had 3 picks after the Essendon pick at 58... 59, 60, and 85.

As you said... with the father/son and academy bidding, we ended up at 55 and 56 with our final pick at 81.

And as I said, Essendon* bid on Jack, we matched it and passed after that. After bringing in the excess points from matching the bid, our final pick would have been 57.

But hey... we got Jack so who cares :)
But that is not correct.

Us selecting Silvagni did not affect our original pick 85. It did not affect any other pick but our pick 54 which ended at 53. We still had pick 55 and chose to pass. The moment we did that, it didn't matter what other pick we had.

If Essendon had not bid on Silvagni, we would have picked him up with pick 54 and passed pick 55. Instead we picked Silvagni with pick 53 and passed pick 55

Agreed, it was purely "shits and giggles" banter. I thought it was great (mainly because there was a snowflake's chance we wouldn't match it).

But that is not correct.

Us selecting Silvagni did not affect our original pick 85. It did not affect any other pick but our pick 54 which ended at 53. We still had pick 55 and chose to pass. The moment we did that, it didn't matter what other pick we had.

If Essendon had not bid on Silvagni, we would have picked him up with pick 54 and passed pick 55. Instead we picked Silvagni with pick 53 and passed pick 55
I know it didnt affect out pick 85... however, the left over points had to go somewhere and so they were applied to the last pick we had (85) and that pick ended up becoming pick 57.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it didnt affect out pick 85... however, the left over points had to go somewhere and so they were applied to the last pick we had (85) and that pick ended up becoming pick 57.
What left over points? If your next pick surpasses the discounted value, you don't get rewarded later.

Eg. GWS used their pick 11 for a player bidded on with pick 7. With the 20% discount, the pick 11 covered Pick 7. It did not carry any left over points to be credited somewhere else.

A discounted pick 54 with worth more than pick 53.

DOH!

I meant Twomey's.
Wayde?
372497_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
What left over points? If your next pick surpasses the discounted value, you don't get rewarded later.

Eg. GWS used their pick 11 for a player bidded on with pick 7. With the 20% discount, the pick 11 covered Pick 7. It did not carry any left over points to be credited somewhere else.

A discounted pick 54 with worth more than pick 53.
Then how, on the AFL draft tracker did our pick 85 suddenly turn into pick 57?

I saw it Dramoth, whether it was a technical glitch or that's how it works I was actually scratching my head on how it could happen.

Fact is on the board we went from 2 picks in the 50's to Silvagni and 2 picks in the 50's

Doesn't make sense if that's how it works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back