Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Or, maybe we put the guy who can kick 35 goals (when playing a full season) in the forward line, while still playing 40-odd percent in the ruck...
People don't take into account the fact that he would have kicked 45 if he was permanently in the forward line. It's an interesting debate to have, but probably pretty redundant given the likelihood of injuries/form failures/planned rests. My two cents is that TBC is the only really static forward we have now and given that he will be in the ruck half the time when he plays, there is no problem with the too tall factor... Who wouldn't want him in the goal square when the ball comes in long? Especially given we can expect further improvement from him this year! Also, if the boys around him are moving really well and we are not bombing it in as a rule, then he will get one out at times and have room to lead.

MAYBE we do, have advocated that we should try it....but kicking 28 goals last year doesn't make him a walk-up start in my book. It's something to try, not a no-brainer is all I'm suggesting.
28 goals wile missing about 1/4 of the games, and playing 70% ruck in another 4. If all things were equal, him playing a full season in his nominted role (60/30/10 split fwd/ruck/ben) he probably would have kicked over 35 goals, been in the top 25 forwards in the game, and that's in his first year of spending any significant time in the forward 50. That seems like a no brainer selection to me,

How far away is he? hes an automatic best 22 for me. Need to play otherwise he will leave for opportunity and more money. At least if he leaves for more money i want to be getting the best in return and that will only be by playing him.

I feel both him and JoeD can kick 40 each in a 20 game season. Just not sure if we can operate with 3 x 200cm giants in Carlile, JoeD, TBC in the same forward line for too long. But it needs to be given a go straight away its possible. TBC/JoeD will become the sub midway through the 3rd aswell so isnt a bad ploy otherwise i would be looking at pushing Carlisle back and see how these 2 go with possibly Ambrose next to them as a 3rd tall.

The Kangaroos have a similar structure up forward. A.Black and Petrie both 200cm giants looking to see if they an bring in their TBC (Currie) as the 2nd ruck/3rd tall forward.

By no means am i saying they are of similar ilk just similar structure and consideration going on there.

Hille, Ryder, TBC didnt stand up for too long before when they were played together, unsure if the games changed enough just yet. The eagles were successful with NicNat, Cox and Sinclair aswell as having J.Kennedy and Darling. However i think thats partially to do with NicNat not quite being 100% fit just yet.

28 goals wile missing about 1/4 of the games, and playing 70% ruck in another 4. If all things were equal, him playing a full season in his nominted role (60/30/10 split fwd/ruck/ben) he probably would have kicked over 35 goals, been in the top 25 forwards in the game, and that's in his first year of spending any significant time in the forward 50. That seems like a no brainer selection to me,

Would you pick him ahead of JoeD eth-dog if it came to it? Is he the better forward right now?

I think he is, he has something behind him to show that.

However i believe you think both can play together along with Carlisle. Im not sure about that as you can see above.

The thread title says he is ahead of schedule but he is actually behind. he was hopeful of a round 5 return but that has been pushed back to round 7.
I think he was hopeful of a round 5 return, but I am sure Doc Reid and the club thought around 7 was about right.

Would you pick him ahead of JoeD eth-dog if it came to it? Is he the better forward right now?

I think he is, he has something behind him to show that.

However i believe you think both can play together along with Carlisle. Im not sure about that as you can see above.
Yes. Joe will be better in 2 years, but he's definitely beter now.

I think we can, as both Carlisle and Daniher are very agile for big men

How come he missed those games?

That's right...he got dropped.

Plus being senior emergency one week therefore not playing VFL(dropped) and not playing at all in another due to VFL bye (dropped)....c'mon mate, he was dropped!
He was rested from the Carlton game, not an emg, not playing VFL, then didn't get back next week to give Daniher 2 games in the seniors, which was the bye week in the VFL. He was rested

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any further thoughts on team balance, yaco55?

(Actually, given I'm in Hong Kong at the moment, perhaps we should nut this out over a beer.)

Actually the forward line worked better when Ryder went off injured. Having a smaller forward line made the players hit up targets.

Actually the forward line worked better when Ryder went off injured. Having a smaller forward line made the players hit up targets.

I'm trying to reconcile that with the personnel. Who do you pick when all 4 of TBC, Carlisle, Daniher and Ambrose are fit?

I'm trying to reconcile that with the personnel. Who do you pick when all 4 of TBC, Carlisle, Daniher and Ambrose are fit?
You'd have to go Bellchambers, Carlisle and Ambrose. Joe tries hard but basically doesn't have the muscle yet. Bellchambers can simply clunk them better, plus a better set shot

You'd have to go Bellchambers, Carlisle and Ambrose. Joe tries hard but basically doesn't have the muscle yet. Bellchambers can simply clunk them better, plus a better set shot

Do you drop down to two + Hardingham and get a bit more maniacal pressure at ground level? I genuinely can't decide.

Do you drop down to two + Hardingham and get a bit more maniacal pressure at ground level? I genuinely can't decide.
I think it'll be:

J Merrett - Carlisle - Ambrose
Winderlich - Bellchambers - Chappy/BJ/Jobe/Stants etc.

Bellchambers contested marking instead of Joes (right now) would be a much bigger asset. We do lose a bit at ground level but half the marks Joe dropped tonight turn into contested marks we get much better value for our inside 50's

They'll play 3. TBC will get games because JD and Ambrose won't play every week. IMO, Carlisle and JD both play better us high forwards rather than deep forwards. Still many questions to be resolved with our tall forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back