Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Remove this Banner Ad

As I haven't posted, I'm sure the above isn't directed at me, but I will say this. Ryder is definitely a better footballer now (tbell ankle injury or not) and will be a far better footballer next season with TBell definitely needing plenty of time to work back from injury. But TBell also has a hell of a lot less experience, with another 50 games under his belt it's most definitely possible he ends up the better player.
I have said this before but i believe TBell moves like and has the potential and skills to match Brad Ottens. And for me if/when he gets there i will be absolutely stoked.

There's little to be gained by comparing one to the other. TBC is who we've got and fully fit he's more than serviceable. Given the addition of Giles I don't think we're much worse off without that other guy.
Worse off... Meh... I'm quite happy to have Langford and cooney instead of that other guy

*We have a premiership best 22. If any of Hooker/Hurley/Daniher/Carlisle get injured we're in a world of trouble

I am discussing a hypothetical - Can we win a premiership with T-Bell as first ruck ?

I am discussing a hypothetical - Can we win a premiership with T-Bell as first ruck ?
I believe we can. He was fantastic in 2013 as a ruck-forward, and would have continued on that form this year if his pre-season wasn't interrupted by injury. Obviously Giles is a fair downgrade as a partner compared to Ryder, but if Giles can compete and provide good support, I don't see why we can't win one. At his best TBC is a very good player.

I believe we can. He was fantastic in 2013 as a ruck-forward, and would have continued on that form this year if his pre-season wasn't interrupted by injury. Obviously Giles is a fair downgrade as a partner compared to Ryder, but if Giles can compete and provide good support, I don't see why we can't win one. At his best TBC is a very good player.
Agree, look at Hawthorn this year, had Mcevoy/Grimley as a #1 ruck man, and Bailey last year, and Sydney in 2012 had Pyke/a Mumford who was heavily underperforming, Pies had Darren Jolly in 2010. None of these guys are really superstars apart from Mumford who wasn't up to his usual standards in 2012. If a ruck man can feed the midfielders and have a relatively good impact around the ground then it serves a team bloody well as long as he has good midfielders around him

Agree, look at Hawthorn this year, had Mcevoy/Grimley as a #1 ruck man, and Bailey last year, and Sydney in 2012 had Pyke/a Mumford who was heavily underperforming, Pies had Darren Jolly in 2010. None of these guys are really superstars apart from Mumford who wasn't up to his usual standards in 2012. If a ruck man can feed the midfielders and have a relatively good impact around the ground then it serves a team bloody well as long as he has good midfielders around him
Ceglar not Grimley, Grimley didn't play a game in 2014! :p

But yes, I absolutely agree with what you are saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm amazed that Essendon supporters can underrate Bellchambers so much. He was fantastic when Ryder went down last year.

I'm amazed that Essendon supporters can underrate Bellchambers so much. He was fantastic when Ryder went down last year.

I don't think we under rate TBC. More so we compare TBC with the superior Paddy Ryder.

TBC has shown he can play to a high level, maybe not to the elite levels of Ryder but a serviceable player none the less.

I think we had two starting ruckman, one had to go. The more talented ruckman went, but I believe that Bellchambers is a harder worker. There's no reason why he can't be an excellent ruckman. He's even really handy around the ground as he runs to the right spots and can take a great grab. He could have a Sam Jacobs or Todd Goldstein type year, with possibly better statistics up forward. He's also got a swagger about him that we have missed.

I think we had two starting ruckman, one had to go. The more talented ruckman went, but I believe that Bellchambers is a harder worker. There's no reason why he can't be an excellent ruckman. He's even really handy around the ground as he runs to the right spots and can take a great grab. He could have a Sam Jacobs or Todd Goldstein type year, with possibly better statistics up forward. He's also got a swagger about him that we have missed.

I love that grunt in Tom. Think it could really give us a hardened edge around the stoppages next year, similar to Mumford's presence for GWS.

Spot on. I don't think you need a dominating ruckman, just someone who can nullify the opposing ruck. For example you don't want your third ruck option up against a Sandilands. When Freo-Blues played this year Freo had something like 75 hitouts to 25-30. Only won by a couple of points. It's having a ruck that can play well up forward that can have a real benefit. Obviously Ryder was good in that area but a fit TBC up forward was sometimes just as effective. Giles can take a grab as well.

Should hopefully be up for a decent year. Most people forget that at the start of 2014, Bellchambers was the more highly regarded of our two ruckmen....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back