All Australian
Sep 29, 2007
geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
sonics, storm
Superstar in the making.

Has gone from useless skinny kid to untouchable in a year.
The best part about a horrible 08

whelan=legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor
Sep 9, 2006
Best Young Side Land
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Thanks to cannons:

Colin Garland

Current Ability: B+
Garland was one of Melbourne’s big improvers this season, and created some excitement for Melbourne fans in a season which offered very little. Colin played 17 matches, averaging 12 disposals per match. He produced many notable performances in defence, and his efforts against Franklin and Bradshaw were excellent.

Strengths:
- Pace
- Athleticism
- Defensive skills
- Good temperament
- Reasonably good user of the ball
- Versatile

Weaknesses:
- Light frame
- Regularly baked

Potential Ability: A+
I really think he has the potential to develop into one of the AFL’s elite defenders. He has every attribute required, other than physical size; however he is still young and has plenty of time to bulk up over preseason. Having said that, his frame is ectomorphic, so he will never be huge, but his mobility and pace will more than make up for that.

I don’t think there is any real deficiency in his game. He reads the play well, has good closing speed and disposes of the ball well. With more experience and size, there is no reason why he couldn’t develop into a premier defender. He also seems to play with a lot of determination, which should assist his development.

He is versatile as well, as he can play on forwards of any size. I think he may also have the ability to play up forward or as a rebounding defender, but at this point I’m happy to see him playing as a defender in the truest sense. Once the Melbourne defence develops further, I think he could be given some more creative license as he is a good user of the ball.

Trade Value: Early 1st rounder, but is one of the few untouchables on Melbourne’s list

Overall, despite an indifferent start to the year, Garland improved greatly. He looks to be one of the most important elements of Melbourne’s renaissance. Colin possesses all of the necessary attributes to become an elite player, and the experience he gains from 2009 should take him closer to achieving that status.

Who else thought he was one to delist after '07?

Epic lulz at me. I failed.
To be fair, he went from Weetra-like dud to "superstar in the making" in the space of a couple of weekends.

Was impossible to see it coming.

WattsGoodForYou

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Round Three 2010: Melbourne Vs Adelaide MCG (16 point win)

Rating: ?
Kicks: 3
Handballs: 8
Marks: 2, O contested
Tackles: 3
Free Kicks: 0 for 1 against
Efficiency: 100%
Contested possessions: 5
Uncontested Possessions: 6
Clearances: 3
Clangers: 1
Assists: 0
TOG: 79%
Inside 50’s: 0
Rebound 50's: 5
1% er's: 5

DT Score: Don't care
SC Score: See above

Unfortunately did not see the game so I can not give a rating or much discussion on his performance. Some BF posters have suggested he was under done while others have suggested he was serviceable. My analysis will (for this week) be therefore based purely upon statistics, rather than observations.

Pros:
- 5 1%er's was equal third most for the team, only behind BOG Frawley(6) and Warnock(7) (whom currently sits 3rd in the AFL).
-5 rebound 50's, equal 3rd most for the team behind Grimes(equal 2nd most in the AFL) and Frawley (both 7).
-1 Clanger
-100% DE.

Cons:
-??? Someone else may know , this is not to say that none occurred rather just my non viewing of the game meant I can not add to this analysis.

Does he keep his spot?

He should, while some have suggested that he was under-done the versatility Colin adds is valuable. Like many players in the back line he has shown ability to play on both talls and smalls. However the lack of a functioning Richmond forward line may mean he is shifted forward this week or may be squeezed out to add match practice in the 2's. For mine he is in anytime he is fit.

Hopefully I can add a thorough report next week. If I can't I will add a story about a training Guernsey of his I own as filler.

WGFY.

cSylvia

Debutant
Jun 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Frankston u8's
Would be unlucky to lose his spot, but may happen depending on Col. Get the feeling Bails rates him very highly just due to the fact that he was put straight back into the side and was the go-to-man when Burton started to influence the game.

WattsGoodForYou

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Round 4 2010: Richmond Vs MelbourneMCG (55 point win)

Rating: ?
Kicks: 3
Handballs: 12
Marks: 1, O contested
Tackles: 4
Free Kicks: 0 for 2 against
Efficiency: 80%
Contested possessions: 4
Uncontested Possessions: 10 (4+10 doesn't equal 15?)
Clearances: 1
Clangers: 3
Assists: 0
TOG: 83%
Inside 50’s: 0
Rebound 50's: 0
1% er's: 7

DT Score: Don't care
SC Score: See above

One again didn't see the game so anyone(be it Melbourne supporter or otherwise) who wants to add some insight be my guest.

Pros:
- 7 1%ers the most by any Melb player
- 4 Tackles

Cons:
-3 clangers the most by any defender
-2 frees against

Does he keep his spot?

Yes, hard to really make a assessment on Col's game without seeing the match. If anyone wants to add anything go ahead.

Was going to tell a story about Col and his generosity, however remembering Col is a former poster (and Geelong fan) I may actually be identifiable so I will leave it for another week... Hopefully will see some footage this week.

WGFY.

TelkoTheGreat

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2007
joles
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Buffalo Sabres, Casey
Great article today by Emma Quayle about Col if you hadn't read already. Interesting read and how he spent time last year with the recruiting staff when he was injured :thumbsu:

The Age - Colin Garland: There's no place like home (Emma Quayle)

THE first thing Colin Garland sees when he gets to work each morning are 12 premiership cups, lined up on the left as you step inside Melbourne's new training centre. Next to catch his eye is the collage of photographs along the right-hand wall, capturing some of his club's greatest players and moments. His club — those are the key words here. Garland grew up loving every little thing about football, and being very good at it, without ever finding one club or team that he felt truly enveloped in. Since Melbourne chose him four years ago, though, that has changed.

Garland is only 22, and is very much caught up in what the Demons are doing right now. Still, he feels as if he has become a part of things that have already happened. “I love the club, just the history of it, and everything that has happened here. I hear the old players tell their stories and think, I can't believe I'm a part of this now,” he said. “I sort of feel sorry for the players going to the new clubs, because to play for the oldest team in the world is something you can hold on to forever. It's one of the first places I've felt like I really belong.”

Garland didn't just love playing football, growing up in Tasmania's north-west. He loved watching games, watching more games, reading about players, filling up his sticker albums and memorising statistics. He stores away heights, weights and other information even now, keeping his teammates amused. Garland moved home often as a kid, but while he never had the chance to grow up with one team, he didn't really want to, either. He was reluctant to commit to too many teams, because his mother Shirley was working three jobs and he didn't want her driving around after him and his younger brothers.

It wasn't until his final year of junior football that the under-18 Tasmanian team finally talked him into going on a weekend trip to Melbourne — on the premise of seeing how the team did things, while always planning to throw him in at the last minute. A few months later, he got drafted, and a few days after that, he lived in a new state.

LITTLE STINGA

Cancelled
Mar 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
A good return for a player who missed most of last year with a foot injury. He started slowly but really got back to the Garland of old. Hopefully he can put on some kilos in the pre season. 5\10

May 8, 2011
loɔɐʇıou:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

WattsGoodForYou

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
#20 Colin Garland

Statistics:

Matches: 18
Goals: 1
Kicks: 167
Marks: 74
Handballs: 100
Disposals: 267
Tackles: 42

6a00d83420ece353ef01538e49361c970b-320wi

After returning from a foot injury a foot injury, obtained in 2009, Colin was able to show why he was so highly rated by Melbourne faithful in 2010. As such, Garland signed a contract extension in 2010 which would tie him to the club until the end of 2012. This would mean that the young backman would need to continue to build upon his promise, which had been shown in 2008 & 2010 to retain his place.

Ditched was the stoner looking Garland, who would not of looked out of place next to Jay and Silent Bob, player profile picture and replaced by the picture of a young man who looked surer in his own abilities, though showing the smirk of a man who looked as if had just seen Juice attempt to kick it from 10 metres out . Lauded for his ‘leadership’ and his dedication to study opponents vision, in early pre-season reports by the club, much was expected of Garland for the 2011 season.

Garlands season started of with the daunting task of defending two of the leagues most dangerous players in Goodes and Franklin. Garlands influence on Goodes was enough to help put Melbourne in the position of winning , the draw was the ultimate result. While Garland’s early influence on Frankiln was also pleasing, once the Hawthorn midfield was on top, the score line was always going to be ugly.

The round 6 fixture, against West Coast at Patterson’s, was showed to be the start of bad things to come for the Melbourne FC on a whole, the team was entirely outplayed by the 2010 spooner’s and certainly worse off for the early bye . Garland’s game though not solid did show signs of his usual late spoils and contests, which are the staple of his game. Late in the game, when the result was out of question, Garland was beaten on a lead by Kennedy, causing much displeasure Garland was seen punching the turf. This moment showed true passion which was often not seen by some other players and by that of Garlands namesake, Judy, in many a Christmas special of years gone by .

After a solid performance in the round 7 drubbing of Adelaide, round 8 saw Garland go down with an ankle injury which would put him out till round 13. The injury saw Garland limp off early in the piece sparking fears he may have re-injured his troublesome foot.

Garland’s season recovered well and saw him put in strong performances in rounds 13-17, including the round 15 game against the Bulldogs, which saw Garland amass his well deserved 50th.

Luke+Dahlhaus+Colin+Garland+AFL+Rd+15+Western+uZlr61M_v9-l.jpg

Round 18 through to 21 was one the darkest 4 match periods in the clubs history. As always, despite the teams performances, Garland’s personal contributions remained solid, excluding round 18 when the entire team was replaced by aliens from the planet Omicron Persei 8.

Round 22 was one of Garland’s best for the season having a major influnec on the backline, effectively shutting his opponent down. While the round 23 contest with GC saw Garland collect a season high 29 dispossals, including a rare goal, while playing more as an rebounding half-back. This capped off a period of four consecutive games which saw the backman collect at least 20 disposals. Furthermore, Garland’s long, accurate kick ins were part of a the new game plan, trialed by interim coach Todd Viney, dubbed Vineys vacuum.

The round 23 game against Port, at Adelaide oval, showed Garland compete strongly in his usual fashion until a couple of out-of charcter late clangers from kick-ins(attempting Vineys Vacuum) resulted in Port goals. Leaving the proud backman looking displeased to say the least.

Garland finished a well deserved 6th place in the B&F capping of a year of solid performances, in a team which some experts believed performed well below their capabilities. Garland’s year was highlighted by his spoiling, 1 on 1 contests, improved disposal and effective kick ins. Garland’s abilty to play on talls and smalls makes Garland a highly respected and importnat member of the team.

2012 will be an important year for Garland. With the trading of Matthew Warnock to GC, this makes Garland a senior member of the backline. Furthermore, with the addition of new coach Neeld, the decision whether to add bulk to Garlands frame, as to play more on larger players or keep him to a similar size to keep him versatile, will be interesting. Additionally with the development of youngsters Tom MacD and Try Davis it will be interesting to see whether or not Garland will pinch hit up forward, where his long kicking, pace and strong 1 on 1 performances could be used. For mine he is part of the import back line quartet ( Frawley, Rivers, Grimes & Garland) who are all versatile enough to play on opponents of all shapes and sizes. I see no reason why Garland could not go on to achieve highers honors such as AA, achieved by counterpart James Frawley in 2010, with the right match ups, solid pre-seasons and right people around him, in years to come.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
OK on Colin to start the season off. He is our second most important defender at this stage. Which to me and nothing against Colin says alot about our true KPB's. I would like to see Colin develop more into a 3rd tall over time, and offer that run off half back which we are crying out for. He comes into 2012 after what i would suggest was his best year in 2011. Was a very solid defender, and held a number of highly rated opponents well. Also being part of the under rated and over worked MFC defensive structure.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Round 3

K-9
H-1
T-6
Efficiency - 82%

Was pretty disappointing imo, but our defence came under alot of pressure, was mentioned 60 I50's against which is ridiculous, but doesnt excuse some of the basic skill errors we saw. His overall possession count was well down imo probably by 8 touches.

The thing to like was that he tripled his tackle count compared to the previous 2 rounds of the season, leading MFC.

Once again, kicking alot, 9-1 ratio is great, just needs to get a bit more of it.

Back