Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not all about how many he kicks, its also about how honest do we want to be about how many goals we conceed as a result of having Petrie in the forward line. He is a favourite son but we are here to win flags not protect players career. What I see is a bloke who is struggling to keep up with the pace in 2015.
Well, being honest, we concede a lot less with with Petrie in the forward line rather than someone else. As is constantly mentioned, his pressure for a big forward is fantastic, I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that we concede goals due to Petrie being in the forward line. We'd concede a lot more if he was at CHB.

So if he isnt agile or quick enough to be a forward, what makes people think he is agile or quick enough to chase a forward on the lead as a backman? Until I can be persuaded he stays forward until he hangs the boots up. End of discussion.

He is quicker and more agile than Ben Brown. Perhaps we should remove Brown from the forward line first?

Brown is a lot better at ground level and a much better kick though.

I actually think all three (if in some reasonable form or better) could create real headaches for the opposition as they are all a bit different in strengths/weaknesses.

So if he isnt agile or quick enough to be a forward, what makes people think he is agile or quick enough to chase a forward on the lead as a backman? Until I can be persuaded he stays forward until he hangs the boots up. End of discussion.

If you do not know the answer to that then i suggest you study footy more. Massive difference

Well, being honest, we concede a lot less with with Petrie in the forward line rather than someone else. As is constantly mentioned, his pressure for a big forward is fantastic, I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that we concede goals due to Petrie being in the forward line. We'd concede a lot more if he was at CHB.

Guess or you have stats to back you up?

Guess or you have stats to back you up?
And do you have stats to prove that we concede more goals with Drew in the forward line? Of course not, and neither do I as it's not something that can be statistically measured. However, when almost everyone at the club, including our new key forward, continually state how good Drew's forward pressure is for a big man I am going to use that as evidence that we don't concede goals due to Drew being in the forward line.

And do you have stats to prove that we concede more goals with Drew in the forward line? Of course not, and neither do I as it's not something that can be statistically measured. However, when almost everyone at the club, including our new key forward, continually state how good Drew's forward pressure is for a big man I am going to use that as evidence that we don't concede goals due to Drew being in the forward line.

You do understand they have no other option but to say that? I saw first hand his forward pressure is crap. He makes valiant attempts but he's a liability now.

I know the answer, yours is different. Please explain why you think he would be a quality backman? Change my mind. Ready........Go!

Go read my threads about it. At least I've documented historical references, what do you have?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which are?
One percenters and tackles.

Drew had 4 tackles and 3 percenters against the Crows and one of each yesterday. Brown had 3 and 1 yesterday having spent time rucking, being in and around the contest, which provides greater opportunity to participate in that manner. Drew is averaging in the first two rounds exactly what he did for 2014 in these categories.

Your argument assumes that the commentary from team mates and coaches (including from Jarrad Waite yesterday) about his work rate and defensive pressure is nothing but lip service, yet their praise is consistent. I witness no visible drop off in mobility from the big fella although he does look somewhat rusty, granted. I can only assume based on what I see and the continuing position of his peers that the position you take is no more than confirmation bias.

Drew had 4 tackles and 3 percenters against the Crows and one of each yesterday. Brown had 3 and 1 yesterday having spent time rucking, being in and around the contest, which provides greater opportunity to participate in that manner. Drew is averaging in the first two rounds exactly what he did for 2014 in these categories.

Your argument assumes that the commentary from team mates and coaches (including from Jarrad Waite yesterday) about his work rate and defensive pressure is nothing but lip service, yet their praise is consistent. I witness no visible drop off in mobility from the big fella although he does look somewhat rusty, granted. I can only assume based on what I see and the continuing position of his peers that the position you take is no more than confirmation bias.

They are very ordinary stats from a senior leader to be honest. He may also be measured on his defensive pressure acts because he's struggling to get the ball and let's not talk about his kicking for goal either. I for one do not want the ball in his hand when we need a goal. Ben Brown in the other hand.

Save me some time and give me a quick run down or your best argument(s) to move Drew to CHB.

No, you make the time to read them if you wish to be part of this debate. If not then sayonara to

Also looks low on confidence IMO. He'll come good.

They are very ordinary stats from a senior leader to be honest. He may also be measured on his defensive pressure acts because he's struggling to get the ball and let's not talk about his kicking for goal either. I for one do not want the ball in his hand when we need a goal. Ben Brown in the other hand.
He was playing second banana to Waite yesterday and had 8 marks (3 contested), 16 touches and 2 goals. If that isn't enough from the secondary forward target I don't know what is. s**t, if Brown had that impact there wouldn't be any words in Browny's thread, just bucket loads of jizz.

Sure, Dish's kicking for goal has been dodgy for the last 12 months, no arguments there, but I stand by my confirmation bias call Biggie.

He was playing second banana to Waite yesterday and had 8 marks (3 contested), 16 touches and 2 goals. If that isn't enough from the secondary forward target I don't know what is. s**t, if Brown had that impact there wouldn't be any words in Browny's thread, just bucket loads of jizz.

Sure, Dish's kicking for goal has been dodgy for the last 12 months, no arguments there, but I stand by my confirmation bias call Biggie.

He was rubbish until the second half when the game was over. You just need to look at his record against quality opposition over the last two years to see where he is at.

We CANNOT win a flag with him in the forward line. Too one dimensional and slow.

He was rubbish until the second half when the game was over. You just need to look at his record against quality opposition over the last two years to see where he is at.

We CANNOT win a flag with him in the forward line. Too one dimensional and slow.
Like his 5 against the Hawks? or his fantastic game in the semi final? or being our best forward in the prelim? His downhill skier tag is unwarranted. If he's too slow to play in the forward line he's definitely too slow to play in the backline and not a good enough defender - look at his effort against Ryder in the elimination final. Besides, Petrie - Waite - Brown is so much better a combination than Black - Waite - Brown or Daw - Waite - Brown that it's not even worth discussing.

Its a worry that when the heat was on (only the 1st quarter vs Lions) he managed an amazing 1 handball ( 23 mins into the 1st) during that time Brown and Waite were much more active.

Heat went off once the game was in the bag, then and only then did Drew lift his game. His second half was better but he did manage to rack up a 50% DE for the day.

I do think Drew has something to offer but i really dont think he has the ability to turn games or win games for us. Would love to be corrected but i see him as footsoldier or decoy for 2015 little more.

Just in case you groovers didn't know, you could have the six best fwds in the history of the game play at once in the same side, doesn't mean they'll all deliver.

Am pretty confident North didn't just throw Petrie, Waite and Brown fwd with the 'plan B' of hoping for the best.

They'd have all be under instruction. And as the game wore on more space opened up for Drew.

In saying that I'm not against Drew's strong hands being down back, for one reason or another I don't think we'll see it, maybe that's plan C?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back