Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we get this man up and about because at the moment, and it kills all of us to say it, he is a liability and hurting this side.

The incident in the pocket of him desperately trying to make a pass where there was none and the whole team urging him to take the shot gives us an indication of his lack of self belief. We need him desperately.

How do we get this man up and about because at the moment, and it kills all of us to say it, he is a liability and hurting this side.

The incident in the pocket of him desperately trying to make a pass where there was none and the whole team urging him to take the shot gives us an indication of his lack of self belief. We need him desperately.
Definitely has no confidence in his goal kicking.

Brown is now our number 1 forward, he should attract their number 1 KPD Drewy is now learning how to play the KPD No2.
Really like watching Brown play, so much intent!! Could even be captain material.

If it's not his last year, it should be.

Fine servant, but despite 'outstanding defensive efforts', can't kick a clutch, set shot goal to save himself. Good big men make others walk taller because they kick the goals you expect them to. The opposite is true too... others become dispirited when you miss such shots regularly.

The question has been raised with Geelong, in particular, about honouring the careers of club servants AND balancing the need to develop the list. At what point does the 'long standing servant' become a list clogger?

Just askin'.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm making this up, but didn't Drewie have a pretty crap start last year too....only to come good later in the season?

Maybe I'm making this up, but didn't Drewie have a pretty crap start last year too....only to come good later in the season?

He did, which is why I have zero concern at this stage. If it's round 20 and he's stinking it up still I suspect I'll be far more alarmed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And this is why we plod along and do nothing as a club.

It's our key power forward, who is afraid (second year in a row) to kick the team lifting goals that he's not only paid to as a forward, but expected to also as a leader.

But it's completely fine to waste half a season waiting for him to come good, because he has done good things in the past?

I love Drew, and completely agree with the sentiments on his service over a number of years for the club. But letting him just stink it up in the forward line until he 'finds form' because he's 'a great guy with runs on the board' is yet another contributing factor to why this club goes nowhere at the pointy end.

If he can't kick clutch set shots, or mark to save himself anymore, get him out of there and get someone who can. Play him back, I'm sure he'd do fine. But letting him find form for half a year in the forward line should not be am option in a team serious about contending

im not sure if its the forward line players or our non-existent forward structures? Seems when a team is running the ball and delivering into there forward line they very easily pin point a pass and seem to have a few options whereas our forward line seems flooded and find minimal room to lead into.

im not sure if its the forward line players or our non-existent forward structures? Seems when a team is running the ball and delivering into there forward line they very easily pin point a pass and seem to have a few options whereas our forward line seems flooded and find minimal room to lead into.

I think the entries into 50 are disgraceful. But it doesn't stop BBB kicking a few each week, or thriving on the pressure set shots.

I don't want this to be the end for Drew, I'd love to see him out there for another 2 or 3 years. But right as we speak, he's not doing the job as a key forward, simple as that. He works harder than almost anyone on our list, and for that reason I think we do need him out there. I don't want to see him dropped. His role needs to be changed somehow

Slow ball movement is killing us. We brought Harvey into the back flack to try generate drive but he can't do it all himself.

Drew will come good after playing Richmond he always does...
Still best 22 player atm

That set shot he missed in the third, he didn't just miss, he deadset fluffed it.

He looked to pass it off at least three times so that was always going to happen.

I think Scott has convinced him that his role in the team is to apply forward pressure and not to kick goals. :rolleyes:

He has totally lost his leap as well. There was one moment where he tried to sit on a defender's shoulders and didn't even get off the ground. My heart sunk ... he is on his last legs.

My criticism of Drewie, apart form missing very gettable shots, is he allows himself to be held too easily, with no remonstration, or demonstration to the umps, at a bare minimum, use your strength and rag doll a few opponents a la Hawkins, Walker, Cloke, Buddy etc

He did, which is why I have zero concern at this stage. If it's round 20 and he's stinking it up still I suspect I'll be far more alarmed.
I just hope our season is still alive by the time he pulls the finger out this time round.

Drew was arguably b.o.g on the weekend its not just about kicking goals but his kicking can be ordinary its his defensive work,marking setting up others he isnt our number 1 forward atm he is playing a different role...
In saying that what is North's obsession with playing 3 Kpf every week dont get me wrong i like the current look of our forwars makeup with Higgins,Nahas,L.T and Boomer complementing our talls.

But do we need three talls every week and if things arent working sub rule is handy i guess.
Even though KPF can stretch teams it doesnt always work. Two KPF plus Goldy resting there abit and Wood and Zeibell that can go down there. Just saying...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back