Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

We kicked 9.11 for the night. It's not great accuracy (not awful either) but to put it in perspective even if we nailed all 20 scoring shots we still would've lost by 16 points. Midfield is 10x more important than forward line in the modern game.

Scoreboard pressure can and does usually significantly change the game.

Maybe, maybe not.

The thing is, it's not just the missed goal, and five less points on the board. It's the momentum lost. It's the unknown psychological effect on Franklin when the guy he hasn't scored on in the last two outings kicks one on him. It's the change to strategy it forces on Sydney - if they'd conceded the first three goals, are they going to change nothing and risk it becoming four or more?

It's more than the missed score itself, it's the lost opportunity to build momentum and gain ascendancy.
Exactly well put.

This. It's so obvious. He takes a 2 or 3 step run up and then kicks with no forward momentum, then once it hits his boot it's a 50/50 chance of going straight or not. It's so frustrating to watch.
Didnt Turner hit him up well inside the 50m arc? And then was like he had his set shot from outside 50m off 2 steps. I thought he couldve been heaps closer to the man on the mark, and yeah we needed that goal bigtime!

The Duck ought to know about kicking early goals in a final. I have vivid memories of him missing a sitter in 1998 Grand Final. Kicked 1 goal 4 from memory!
So even THE BEST can miss them.

Yep. The smothered kick was atrocious and cost me a remote. But the two misses after that gave him great chances to redeem when we were still clinging on. The work and skill involved to get him this kicks was immense; so deflating for all. But has anyone commented on how poxy and atrocious Lindsay Thomas was? That was 7 quarters in a row of poo.

Yep. The smothered kick was atrocious and cost me a remote. But the two misses after that gave him great chances to redeem when we were still clinging on. The work and skill involved to get him this kicks was immense; so deflating for all. But has anyone commented on how poxy and atrocious Lindsay Thomas was? That was 7 quarters in a row of poo.
I'm one of LT's biggest fans but 7 quarters of poo is pretty spot on, despite a couple of his touches last night being very classy.
I still haven't forgiven him for going to ground and playing for a free in the last minute vs Geelong. That was just really, really, really ****ing bad. Back on Drew - he did nail a crucial set shot vs Freo, but unfortunately that stands out as an aberration.

Last edited:
I don't think it was a matter of not handling the pressure. I thought it was more that Drew is not a very good kick for goal (these days). He was great last week yet kicked 4.4; nobody talked about handling the pressure against Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at the end of training on thursdays before selection every forward should have to take a set shot from 50. "You miss this, you are dropped."

Ok. Maybe if we did this we wouldnt have a team to put on the park, but if there are 2 similar blokes fighting for the same spot in the side next season. I want the one who I can back to kick a goal when the team needs it, not the one who kicks 3 goals in junk time when there's no pressure.

I think at the end of training on thursdays before selection every forward should have to take a set shot from 50. "You miss this, you are dropped."

Ok. Maybe if we did this we wouldnt have a team to put on the park, but if there are 2 similar blokes fighting for the same spot in the side next season. I want the one who I can back to kick a goal when the team needs it, not the one who kicks 3 goals in junk time when there's no pressure.

It'll never happen, but it's certainly a way to emulate having a shot under pressure!

We kicked 9.11 for the night. It's not great accuracy (not awful either) but to put it in perspective even if we nailed all 20 scoring shots we still would've lost by 16 points. Midfield is 10x more important than forward line in the modern game.

Kick a goal and the play changes. How easy did they go end to end. The speed which they played on after a point killed us. Our players were too slow to set up. So, if some of those behinds were goals, everybody lifts, u go back to centre, and it starts again.

But they killed us in the Centre anyway so moot point.

Set shots are not his forte.

we need to work somehting out to combat this.

Perhaps he plays on after the mark.

THe little man in his head f***s him when the game is on the line.

THe Elim final showed when he doesn't have time to think...

BANG
BANG

Drew the Roo
Drew the Roo.

I'm not so sure it is anymore...IMO it's starting to be how the ball comes out of your forward line.
It's not unusual to see midfielder on both side rack up numourous possessions and clearances...they can get the ball where it has to go...but especially with zone game plans it's all about breaking through the lines and when the ball comes out of the forward line with no pressure what-so-ever then the line is broken at break neck speed.
Our forward line was putrid at trying to lock the ball in our forward 50, $ydney cleared it out so easily and then easily broke our lines. If they didn't score they locked it into theirs and defenders being human cant stop everything....especially against the coca-cola $ydney swans.
I dunno what's everyone's thoughts on the piece of pie?

Kick a goal and the play changes. How easy did they go end to end. The speed which they played on after a point killed us. Our players were too slow to set up. So, if some of those behinds were goals, everybody lifts, u go back to centre, and it starts again.

But they killed us in the Centre anyway so moot point.

Pretty much. Momentum from goal scoring is certainly valuable - I think we lost confidence a bit last night and if we'd kicked three or so in the first term rather than just one, we might have kept it. That said, I don't think anyone could legitimately say that we lost the game in our forward line, rather than in the midfield.

I'm not so sure it is anymore...IMO it's starting to be how the ball comes out of your forward line.
It's not unusual to see midfielder on both side rack up numourous possessions and clearances...they can get the ball where it has to go...but especially with zone game plans it's all about breaking through the lines and when the ball comes out of the forward line with no pressure what-so-ever then the line is broken at break neck speed.
Our forward line was putrid at trying to lock the ball in our forward 50, $ydney cleared it out so easily and then easily broke our lines. If they didn't score they locked it into theirs and defenders being human cant stop everything....especially against the coca-cola $ydney swans.
I dunno what's everyone's thoughts on the piece of pie?

Delivering the ball well inside 50, breaking the lines, and keeping the ball in 50 through pressure is still largely the work of midfielders, though having a good pressure forward ala Kayne Turner for us or Paul Puopolo/Tyson Goldsack to use another clubs example helps with that too.

Personally if you were to ask me to pick one stat that all midfields were to be rated on, it would be no. of efficient deliveries inside 50 per game. That is where the game is won or lost more often than not.

Delivering the ball well inside 50, breaking the lines, and keeping the ball in 50 through pressure is still largely the work of midfielders, though having a good pressure forward ala Kayne Turner for us or Paul Puopolo/Tyson Goldsack to use another clubs example helps with that too.

Personally if you were to ask me to pick one stat that all midfields were to be rated on, it would be no. of efficient deliveries inside 50 per game. That is where the game is won or lost more often than not.

Yeah I can't disagree...our entry inside has been appalling for quite some time.

A bigger disappointment then Drew's missed shots was when McDonald is flung into chairs over the boundary when the game is dead not one North player remonstrated with Jack, piss poor effort. Go back to the Hawks game when Hodge laid that crude tackle on Swallow, LMac was there shoving Hodge and making sure the flag was flown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back