Darcy 2 Fyfe

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Yallingup
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
I've gotta say after watching this it really does make you feel proud of where we are at considering our less than humble beginnings. The fact we had no handouts has really defined who we are and why we are so steadfast in our support for Freo.

At times in our existence you could be forgiven for feeling that Freo were a thorn in the side of the AFL, the red headed step child with braces and knocky knees. These things that have tested us have only increased our resolve as supporters and galvanised us. It is clear to see on the administration and players faces too barring the weekends aberration of course.

When we lift the cup the AFL landscape will never be the same. I'm tipping it will be in our 20th year.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2014-07-22/captains-compare-allan-pavlich

We didn't get the handouts, no but we definitely blew a great opportunity to set the club up for some early success by neglecting the draft and making some average trades.

Wonder if the book covers the story about us trying to get Robert Harvey and Loewe in 96-97??? The story I heard was both would've signed together but we had negotiated separately, can anyone shed light on this?

I'll grab a book some time this week.

Still I love the club and hope we get just one flag before I'm 6 feet under.

We didn't get the handouts, no but we definitely blew a great opportunity to set the club up for some early success by neglecting the draft and making some average trades.

Wonder if the book covers the story about us trying to get Robert Harvey and Loewe in 96-97??? The story I heard was both would've signed together but we had negotiated separately, can anyone shed light on this?

I'll grab a book some time this week.

Still I love the club and hope we get just one flag before I'm 6 feet under.

Sometimes you're the windscreen and sometimes you're the bug - I'm sure Mark Harvey ended a few player's careers come delisting time too, and unlike him they wouldn't have had the luxury of walking straight into another cushy job paying 6 figures.

Sometimes you're the windscreen and sometimes you're the bug - I'm sure Mark Harvey ended a few player's careers come delisting time too, and unlike him they wouldn't have had the luxury of walking straight into another cushy job paying 6 figures.
I got given the Harvey treatment at a job, I wish I had a redundancy package like that, sackings like that are quite common in most professional workplaces and most don't come with big redundancies.

his behavior since has just shown me we made 100% the best decision. what a sook.

his behavior since has just shown me we made 100% the best decision. what a sook.
How is it being a sook to knock back a request for a favour from an organisation that has showed a lack of honesty, integrity and plain old common courtesy in it's former relationship with you? It was our behaviour that caused the rift, and actions have consequences. I certainly won't be beating my chest over Harvey's reaction on the club's behalf.

I can sympathise with Harves. I told the board of a former employer to shove their anniversary invitation up their cloaca.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting sacked pretty much destroyed his career as a head coach, not really surprising that he's bitter.

It probably worked out for the best for him - a few more years of the mediocrity we were displaying and he would have become unemployable even as an assistant.

Despite the entire football world parroting how hard done by he was, the fact no club has approached him to become their head coach since speaks volumes.

It probably worked out for the best for him - a few more years of the mediocrity we were displaying and he would have become unemployable even as an assistant.

Despite the entire football world parroting how hard done by he was, the fact no club has approached him to become their head coach since speaks volumes.
This "fact" clearly didn't speak volumes enough, because I understand the complete opposite to be true. Just because he wasn't signed up as a senior coach doesn't mean he wasn't approached.

The Dons asked him to do the interim coach job this year but he knocked them back. He'd be too busy with his horses to hold a head coaching job again anyway. Wasn't it getting in the way while he was at Freo?

How is it being a sook to knock back a request for a favour from an organisation that has showed a lack of honesty, integrity and plain old common courtesy in it's former relationship with you? It was our behaviour that caused the rift, and actions have consequences. I certainly won't be beating my chest over Harvey's reaction on the club's behalf.

The club was never dishonest with him. They wanted the best man for the job. he got paid out 800k for doing nothing. 800k. If i got sacked tomorrow I wouldn't get jack s**t.

I can sympathise with Harves. I told the board of a former employer to shove their anniversary invitation up their cloaca.

nice way to burn your bridges and show everyone how much of a bitter old man you are.

The club was never dishonest with him. They wanted the best man for the job. he got paid out 800k for doing nothing. 800k. If i got sacked tomorrow I wouldn't get jack s**t.
I've heard that before and it demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what a fixed term contract of employment actually is. The club agreed to employ Harvey for a set term, but decided that a better option was available before the end of that term. That's all fair and good, but along with that change of heart comes the obligation to pay out the remainder of the contract in accordance with the terms of the agreement. I don't care that you don't understand that, this is standard play for those who actually know what they're talking about. The club, however, decided to try and squeeze their way out of their obligations under the contract. If you sign a contract that you don't intend to honour, that's dishonesty in my book.
nice way to burn your bridges and show everyone how much of a bitter old man you are.
Principled, not bitter. You, having no knowledge of the circumstances, are in no position to judge.

Let's be honest he was a pretty ordinary coach, some of his press conferences were cringe worthy.
I'm not passing judgement on whether the club was justified in sacking him, I'm disappointed in the way they went about it.

Coaches come and go and when it's RTB's turn, I hope the club treats him well.

I've heard that before and it demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what a fixed term contract of employment actually is. The club agreed to employ Harvey for a set term, but decided that a better option was available before the end of that term. That's all fair and good, but along with that change of heart comes the obligation to pay out the remainder of the contract in accordance with the terms of the agreement. I don't care that you don't understand that, this is standard play for those who actually know what they're talking about. The club, however, decided to try and squeeze their way out of their obligations under the contract. If you sign a contract that you don't intend to honour, that's dishonesty in my book.
Principled, not bitter. You, having no knowledge of the circumstances, are in no position to judge.
I thought they might have offered him another role, thus not needing to pay him out and when he told them to shove that they investigated whether they had to pay him, which they did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back