2006 flag tainted - Sheehan

Remove this Banner Ad

So the talk of players taking ICE should be of no consequence?

If you can not see why this is a problem......nah bugger it.

I saw who you support and realised I am wasting my time.
It's a problem, but the flag isn't tainted.

The injunction wasn't a Hawthorn cover up - it was the AFL protecting their shambolic illicit drugs policy which was very nearly derailed in the first 12 months of its existence. If the AFL had not gone to court and taken out an injunction against the media and those Hawthorn players had been named and shamed, no AFL player would've ever submitted to another voluntary illicit drugs test. The 7 Hawks (and the club) would've also sued the AFL for millions.

Yes, it's amazing how people just either couldn't, or refused to understand what the injunction was all about. The injunction wasn't put in place to protect Hawthorn. How could it? Our details had already been leaked. It was put into place to prevent the media or other sources from revealing information from all AFL clubs. Simple as that really, it was about protecting the AFL, nothing more, nothing less.

Back on topic, if people (like Sheehan) prefer to think Ben Cousins was the only person using cocaine back in 2006, what a wonderfully sheltered life they must live. Ben was an extreme case, but not an unusual one. To label 2006 a tainted premiership is just plain stupid. I'm willing to bet that any of the premiership teams around that period had at least one cocaine user amongst them.

No you aren't sure, you are making an assumption which doesn't hold water once you examine it. If you remain good friends with the guys who forced you to leave your former work, that person is an idiot. I'd also like to know why given the amount of stuff that has happened at Carlton since he's been there (Fevola, Stevens, Robinson, booze cruise, Garlett, Fireman Scotland etc) he hasn't left them as well given he left the Eagles for similar? If Judd left due to moral reasons at the Eagles, he is a massive hypocrite for still hanging around the main culprits and tolerating the same bad behaviour at his new club.

We didn't do as much as we could have but as for turning a blind eye, do you honestly think Adelaide's been squeaky clean? As I said earlier i've spoke with one of your former players who was there in the mid 00's and he said drug use was common at the club. But hey if you choose not to believe me, there is this quote from a 2007 article as well:

Care to comment on why Adelaide allowed such things to occur? It doesn't say if the coach was at Adelaide or not, but if he was at another club and knew about it then there would be no way the Adelaide hierarchy didn't know about it either.

All clubs have skeletons in their closet and various degrees of blind eyes have been turned to them, anyone preaching otherwise is deluded. Ours got exposed, a lot of others got to be quietly swept under the rug.

Do you honestly think I am an idiot? Of course all clubs would have players that dabble.

Did Adelaide hierarchy know about the drug use. Its questionable. Craig was a performance Guru so really it would have been Gary Ayres time that this occurred as Craig would not allow Drugs knowingly. Any assistant coaches at the time is a different story. Angwin made accusations about it which from memory was around the time you speak of, however he was proven to be a dick of the highest order.

However West Coasts position is indefensible as its undeniable that the club knew.

They look at it as population of NSW > Wa + SA

It's pandering to an untapped market. That's why the Swans get so many hand outs from the AFL directly and indirectly and the Swans milk it as much as they can.

Teams like Freo and the Eagles it doesn't effect as they have established long term financial security.

Too bad if you are clubs such as the Western Bulldogs, Port or Norths.

You seem to care more about trivial crap like that than actually caring that your club decided to sacrifice Bens welfare.

Stop posting crap. And it is crap.

Are you saying the club didn't give a sh!t about Cousins welfare?

You think the club said to him "mate we don't care what drugs you take just as long as we win?"

Then why did the club sack Cousins from the captaincy?

Why did they later suspend him and then sack him?

Then sack (delist) several other players all who had years left to play?

The club decided to focus on off field culture and basically gutted the list to rebuild.

Name me one other club that has done this? Just one!

The Hawks did nothing. Oh, they delisted Tuck after three strikes but nothing happened to any half decent player who they would have know (just as much as the Eagles would have known) who was on the gear.

Geelong? A suspension to Stokes and all was forgiven.

Someone should write an Underbelly series about the AFL. Talk about an interesting series, it would have every supporter at every club holding their breath waiting to see what dodgy episodes their club has contributed.

Stop posting crap. And it is crap.

Are you saying the club didn't give a sh!t about Cousins welfare?

You think the club said to him "mate we don't care what drugs you take just as long as we win?"

Then why did the club sack Cousins from the captaincy?

Why did they later suspend him and then sack him?

Then sack (delist) several other players all who had years left to play?

The club decided to focus on off field culture and basically gutted the list to rebuild.

Name me one other club that has done this? Just one!

The Hawks did nothing. Oh, they delisted Tuck after three strikes but nothing happened to any half decent player who they would have know (just as much as the Eagles would have known) who was on the gear.

Geelong? A suspension to Stokes and all was forgiven.

Someone should write an Underbelly series about the AFL. Talk about an interesting series, it would have every supporter at every club holding their breath waiting to see what dodgy episodes their club has contributed.
Yes
Probably
Because he went way off the rails and they literally had no choice
Because they won a flag and had to clean house
Because draftees parents were pretty much threatening to not allow kids to go there and the league were in massive clean up mode
Name one other club with anything like the same issues?
It seems only Tuck had serious issues and he's since turned it around
Every other AFL club would have a great episode of drama. The Eagles could recreate all 5 series of The Wire

My mum is an Eagles Captains Club member. They get to go to the after match presentations etc. She knew Cuz and Gardy in particular were on the gear well before 2005. They were off their face straight after the match!

As much as I feel it's my duty to stick it into West Coast whenever possible I can't bring myself to do it around this stuff. It has all just gotten a bit sad now

Yes
Probably
Because he went way off the rails and they literally had no choice
Because they won a flag and had to clean house
Because draftees parents were pretty much threatening to not allow kids to go there and the league were in massive clean up mode
Name one other club with anything like the same issues?
It seems only Tuck had serious issues and he's since turned it around
Every other AFL club would have a great episode of drama. The Eagles could recreate all 5 series of The Wire
I think his point is that Ben, Chick, Gardiner etc weren't the only ones cleared out, but others were too before some of their issues were public, but yes on field performance which was non existent at times also was a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only West COast flags that should be possibly tainted are the first two.
That side was clearly on the juice.

Recreational drug use on the other hand - get stuffed. 2006 was deserved.
I don't know.The more we are finding out about ICE is that you can run all day and feel no pain and have super human strength. Not a lot was known about it 8 or 9 years ago but it could explain why Cousins came back from suspension and played the game of his life.

I don't know.The more we are finding out about ICE is that you can run all day and feel no pain and have super human strength. Not a lot was known about it 8 or 9 years ago but it could explain why Cousins came back from suspension and played the game of his life.
Pretty sure that's the captain America serum.

Ice doesn't bestow it's user with powers and abilities. It deprives you of sleep and can result in severe weight loss.

I highly doubt being in that condition would make me go into beast mode

Cousins was an athlete in peak physical condition. That helped.

Firstly, if he was taking ice during competition then the AFL's drug testing clearly isn't up to the mark.

Secondly, he is/was a dickhead party boy. That's why he was on the gear. His drug of choice enabled him to party hard with his Northbridge mates while still training at the elite level. If he was an alcoholic or pot head or heroin addict or even a chain smoker then this probably wouldn't have been the case.

Cousins was a perfect storm. Took drugs that didn't affect his performance/recovery, failed by his club, failed by the AFL.

Pretty sure that's the captain America serum.

Ice doesn't bestow it's user with powers and abilities. It deprives you of sleep and can result in severe weight loss.

I highly doubt being in that condition would make me go into beast mode

Long term use or a binges can result in psychosis so that could see you in beast mode. Meth users are fast becoming the bain of emergency departments these days with more and more users presenting with paranoid delusions, hallucinations and aggressive or violent behaviour - it's becoming a very dangerous work environment and unless you have been confronted with someone in such a state, it's very hard to describe how frightening that can be.

You are really clutching Obeanie1 if you think that what happened at the Hawks is even remotely on a par with the number of incidents that occurred at the Eagles.

And you are sticking your head in the sand if you think the Hawks didn't have multiple players into recreational drugs.

But that's fine, it's what most supporters do.

How many Hawks were attending the rehab clinic where the records came out of? One, two......three? More?

Tuck with three strikes. Buddy with so much written about his alleged off field fun and games.

And what did the Hawks do about it? Sack anyone? Suspend anyone? Nope........nothing. Success on field was more important.

Hey, you could be onto something here.

Port seem to have turned around pretty quickly from being a bunch of no hopers. They now outrun every other team and look like super humans. All within two years.

Thanks just amazing.

So what's Port secret to improving so much so quickly?:confused:

Well according to your own argument they might all be taking ICE as it "could explain" this massive level of improvement.:cool:

The only West COast flags that should be possibly tainted are the first two.
That side was clearly on the juice.

Recreational drug use on the other hand - get stuffed. 2006 was deserved.

Yes clearly :rolleyes: Although if that was the case then your current coach is the 90s James Hird.

You're not the only one though, Sheehan has repeatedly mentioned over the years he thinks there's question marks over those teams as well...

Funny that, only 3 flags in the history of the AFL/VFL that Mike seems to have a problem with.

And you are sticking your head in the sand if you think the Hawks didn't have multiple players into recreational drugs.

But that's fine, it's what most supporters do.

How many Hawks were attending the rehab clinic where the records came out of? One, two......three? More?

Tuck with three strikes. Buddy with so much written about his alleged off field fun and games.

And what did the Hawks do about it? Sack anyone? Suspend anyone? Nope........nothing. Success on field was more important.

No one is sticking their head in the sand over anything. I'm well aware that drugs are inside afl clubs - then and now - my daughter works for a Perth night club and has some very interesting stories. The reality is that it was the off field crap that bought everything home to roost for the Eagles - it was out there front and centre unlike what you THINK was happening at the Hawks. I'm don't deny there was s**t going on but they certainly weren't making the headlines the Eagles were. There were so many incidents it was a joke and hence my comment that you were clutching at straws in trying to compare the two. If it makes you feel better though then you run with it - everyone else knows the truth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back