Review 2006 Premiership "Arrogance"

Remove this Banner Ad

Cuz wasn't stepped down due to Judd. It was due to doing a runner from cops.

Keep in mind this happened before any talk of drugs.

No it was a case of VLad warning us publicly that if there were anymore incidents we would be charged.

The only reason we weren't is we complied with the AFL every step of the way.

As soon as the media were showing Cuz shirt off, glasses on and in handcuffs being played on every t.v station across the country we felt i assume that he must have been guilty and had to act quick.

It was due to fear of recourse that we acted so swiftly.

Can hardly blame the club either, the cops in Perth hated us, i personally loved that when they found no evidence whatsoever thus making the arrest nothing more than a farce the Police had the audacity to state that notes Ben had in his wallet had traces on drugs on them. That was their case in the end.

Problem is a fair amount of money in circulation has been found the have "traces" of drugs on them. Case and charges were rightly thrown out.

Also another thing was the AFL suspended Ben for a year based upon him being arrested as it could not be on drugs related incidents as he had never been caught. They also told him he had to enter rehab which was to be overseen by them.

Recreational drugs are a scary thing to sports, no parent wants their child growing up around such a culture.

This is what upsets me so much about the Essendon saga. Cuz got suspended for a year for mere rumours of recreational drug use. Essendons captain admitted he took a PED on national TV and has still been playing. The coach that oversaw the whole regime got a years holiday in France all expenses paid and is now coaching them again. How the * is that even remotely fair? If that's not bias for the AFLs golden boy and thier pet clubs I don't know what is. They should be using top up players for two years minimum, just like any other footballer or sports star that has been known to have used ped's. It's a joke.

This is what upsets me so much about the Essendon saga. Cuz got suspended for a year for mere rumours of recreational drug use. Essendons captain admitted he took a PED on national TV and has still been playing. The coach that oversaw the whole regime got a years holiday in France all expenses paid and is now coaching them again. How the **** is that even remotely fair? If that's not bias for the AFLs golden boy and thier pet clubs I don't know what is. They should be using top up players for two years minimum, just like any other footballer or sports star that has been known to have used ped's. It's a joke.

I feel sorry for Ahmed Saad.

Copped the brunt when suspended for a year without any contact with players or club.

I guess the highlighted bit only applied to him, because the last time i checked the Essendon players have been training all pre season but are allowed to have the suspension when handed down backdated?

Absolute bullshit. Nearly two years of Essendon dragging the game through the papers, courts and mud.

Frankly it's a disgrace, should have been dealt with much sooner but Essendon being Essendon have fought the AFL through the whole process.

They claim it's to protect the players...uh you mean the same players you administered injections to?

They won't admit guilt because to do so would tarnish their club beyond repair.

Hard to convince parents their child is safe when you admit to large scale doping.

If Essendon players are not suspended for at least half the season then frankly all of this has been nothing more than an exercise in futility.

Do you mean list wise, or culture wise?
I think that is a very pertinent point.. I think the culture went downhill after the premiership win. Good arrogance (which every club should have) turned into actual arrogance. That and injuries combined smacked us in the bum.

I feel sorry for Ahmed Saad.

Copped the brunt when suspended for a year without any contact with players or club.

I guess the highlighted bit only applied to him, because the last time i checked the Essendon players have been training all pre season but are allowed to have the suspension when handed down backdated?

Absolute bullshit. Nearly two years of Essendon dragging the game through the papers, courts and mud.

Frankly it's a disgrace, should have been dealt with much sooner but Essendon being Essendon have fought the AFL through the whole process.

They claim it's to protect the players...uh you mean the same players you administered injections to?

They won't admit guilt because to do so would tarnish their club beyond repair.

Hard to convince parents their child is safe when you admit to large scale doping.

If Essendon players are not suspended for at least half the season then frankly all of this has been nothing more than an exercise in futility.

Totally agree, the whole thing is a disgrace..

I have acquaintances/drongo ''mates'' that have been up on the gear for 12-15 days straight. they will then sleep for 3-4 days straight. This can go on (not at this extreme but near enough) for years before a 22 y/o body starts to feel it (physically/mentally). But it is one of the hardest drugs on the body (also the mind) that science knows of because of the indirect symptom of sleep deprivation. You stay awake without any drugs for 2 days and you will be hallucinating anyway. Let alone 4-5 days straight on the gear with a resting heart rate of 150 basically doing a marathon up and down your kitchen dribbling s**t. Anyway,

If WCE had of won the 2005 Flag I dare say 2006 would have been a write off instead of 2007. Cousins was already falling apart in early 2006 and I reckon one of the only things keeping him together would be the burning loss of 2005 as Captain. 2005 Cuz vs 2006 Cuz there was a notable difference in his body shape and face. I really hope he is doing well these days.

I shudder to think how much money it would cost to say up for 15 days straight.

That's at least an ounce.

Don't shoot the messenger but I had heard that both Coxy & Juddy were involved in taking rec drugs as well. The story goes that Coxy rolled over to the club on Cuz to save himself, and Juddy got out before he came tumbling down too. Quite convenient that because he was at Carlton, Juddy was not part of the whole inquiry and process, his reputation has never been brought into question.

Yeah well Judd and Kerr lived together and he did go out with Rebecca Twigley
Good on Juddy for coming out clean though, he probably only dabbled off season if I was making allegations
I always saw Cox out with Fletcher Cousins Chick in 05-6

I hate to do the whole "a friend of a friend told me this, blah blah" but one of my family members worked with Coxy in his early days at the club. He went out with all the boys a few times, and they were all getting on it, well all those that were there, all the names we know, and some surpises too. Just shows what we all thought, it wasn't just an issue for a few at our club, or any club for that matter. Think about it, you've got fit young men, with s**t loads of cash, who can't really drink too much so they get on the gear. They are just like every other young male in that age group, it's just that everyone takes more of an interest in how f**ked up they get!

I think playing in a two team town doesnt help the behavioral side of things
At this time the Dockers were still the laughing joke of the AFL (even more so) and so our players had pretty much all the spotlight on them. All of a sudden guys like Chick, Embley, Hunter etc.. became recognisable celebrities in WA, which certainly enabled some of their behaviour. Over east they would have just been standard who gives a s**t AFL players in a 10 team town

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back