2008 - 2014 Hawks v Geelong best combined 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
One of the best rivalries I've witnessed. Can't help but get the feeling the best of it has or is coming to an end, and I've been trying to come up with a combined best 22.

I originally thought I'd limit myself to choosing players based on how they've performed in the Hawks v Geelong games over the period, but instead I've just limited myself to players that have played in a Hawks v Geelong game over the period.

Here's the best team I could come up with;

FB: Hodge (C) ~ Scarlett ~ Gibson
HB: Enright ~ Taylor ~ Birchall

MID: Ottens ~ Ablett ~ Mitchell
MID: Selwood ~ Bartel ~ Burgoyne

HF: Chapman ~ Franklin ~ Johnson
FF: Rioli ~ Roughead ~ Hawkins

INT: Ling ~ Lewis ~ Crawford ~ Corey

Notable players that miss;
Mackie
Kelly
Lake
Mooney
Bateman
Wojcinski
Breust
Milburn
Gunston
Hale
Smith
Dew
Guerra
Sewell
Ling
Harley

Last edited:
Swap Hawkins for Franklin, and put Gunston in where Hawkins is now.

Similarly, take out Ablett, put Hodge in the middle where Ablett was, and put Milburn in the backline where Hodge was.

No need to spoil this great team with Sydney and Gold Coast players who turned their backs on their respective clubs.

Similarly, take out Ablett, put Hodge in the middle where Ablett was, and put Milburn in the backline where Hodge was.

No need to spoil this great team with Sydney and Gold Coast players who turned their backs on their respective clubs.
Who cares if they left? They are the two best players so they both get a spot.

I don't agree, but fair enough.

Shouldn't we be limiting ourselves to players who did their best work during the era? Crawf is one of my all-time favourites, and if this team was built on career output he'll be a shoe-in, but he only played in two games during the era of modern rivalry, and only one if you define it as beginning with the 08 GF (which excludes the sole H&A encounter of that year). I'm tempted to replace him with Sewell, who never left anything in the shed when playing Geelong, but there's already a surfeit of inside mids. Perhaps Smith or Breust, who would complement the balance of the side with even more outside run, and in Breust's case his goal-kicking.

A good combined team though, it'd take a lot to beat them.

Shouldn't we be limiting ourselves to players who did their best work during the era? Crawf is one of my all-time favourites, and if this team was built on career output he'll be a shoe-in, but he only played in two games during the era of modern rivalry, and only one if you define it as beginning with the 08 GF (which excludes the sole H&A encounter of that year). I'm tempted to replace him with Sewell, who never left anything in the shed when playing Geelong, but there's already a surfeit of inside mids. Perhaps Smith or Breust, who would complement the balance of the side with even more outside run, and in Breust's case his goal-kicking.

A good combined team though, it'd take a lot to beat them.

You're probably right, but when I started to do that I ended up chopping and changing the team too much as some players played way more times during the era than others. Ablett only played for 3/7 years but I couldn't justify replacing him with someone like Kelly who played in all 7.

would have Lake ahead of Gibson personally. Ling instead of Harley. he used to destroy Hodge and Mitchell so he deserves a spot. Its no coincident that we have struggled against the Hawks midfield without him.

I'm absolutely with Ling being in, can't believe I forgot him.

Am I the only one that has never seen a team on paper written out like that?

Two mid lines? Crazy!

That would be scary good team. I'm trying to squeeze Gunston in is very difficult. Such a smart quality footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP asked for best not most loyal, but I get your point

I was trying to get him in as well, but for me, Roughead/Franklin and Hawkins are locks and I don't like any team playing with 4 tall forwards.
Do you classify him as a tall forward? I have seen him kick some crumbing goals playing as a small.

I'd remove Harley and Crawford they didn't enough in that period. I'd slot in Bruest and Mackie. I think that would give the team more flexibility.

Edit* Probably need to slot in Ling, for Lewis I think.

One of the best rivalries I've witnessed. Can't help but get the feeling the best of it has or is coming to an end, and I've been trying to come up with a combined best 22.

I originally thought I'd limit myself to choosing players based on how they've performed in the Hawks v Geelong games over the period, but instead I've just limited myself to players that have played in a Hawks v Geelong game over the period.

Here's the best team I could come up with;

INT: Harley ~ Lewis ~ Crawford ~ Corey

Notable players that miss;
Mackie
Kelly
Lake
Mooney
Bateman
Wojcinski
Breust
Milburn
Gunston
Hale
Smith
Dew
Guerra
Sewell
Ling for Harley, Milburn is stiff, otherwise this is pretty good.

Do you classify him as a tall forward? I have seen him kick some crumbing goals playing as a small.

He kicks some freaky goals, but I would still classify him as a tall forward. He's mobile but his quick thinking makes him seem faster than he actually is. I reckon if he was in there as well the forward line wouldn't be dynamic enough.

Wonder how this team would go vs the AA squad? (minus Hawks and Cats obviously)

Some of the best players in their generation played for these teams.

FF: Ballantyne ~ Franklin ~ Roughead

HF: Gray ~ Riewoldt ~ Breust
---------------------------------------
MID: Sandilands ~ Ablett ~ Selwood

MID: Fyfe ~ Kennedy ~ Heppell
HB: Malceski ~ Rance ~ Smith

FB: Hooker ~ Talia ~ Smith
INT: Pendlebury ~ Lewis ~ Boak ~ Rockliff

I'd give it to the Hawks v Geelong side.
Much better balanced defence. Arguably the greatest ever shut down midfielder and every single one of them has won a premiership.

FF: Ballantyne ~ Franklin ~ Roughead

HF: Gray ~ Riewoldt ~ Breust
MID: Sandilands ~ Ablett ~ Selwood

MID: Fyfe ~ Kennedy ~ Heppell
HB: Malceski ~ Rance ~ Smith

FB: Hooker ~ Talia ~ Smith
INT: Pendlebury ~ Lewis ~ Boak ~ Rockliff

I'd give it to the Hawks v Geelong side.
Much better balanced defence. Arguably the greatest ever shut down midfielder and every single one of them has won a premiership.

cats/hawks combined would flog the AA side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back