2008 - 2014 Hawks v Geelong best combined 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Swap Hawkins for Franklin, and put Gunston in where Hawkins is now.

Similarly, take out Ablett, put Hodge in the middle where Ablett was, and put Milburn in the backline where Hodge was.

No need to spoil this great team with Sydney and Gold Coast players who turned their backs on their respective clubs.
Roflmao , take out Ablett!

Obviously Franklin can do things Gunston can't but I would rather have Gunston in my side in a Grand Final or any other do or die match.
That's ridiculous. Gunston doesn't get the best opponent and the whole defensive unit spending a week figuring out how they are going to stop him. franklin does for good reason.

This
Swap Hawkins for Franklin, and put Gunston in where Hawkins is now.

Similarly, take out Ablett, put Hodge in the middle where Ablett was, and put Milburn in the backline where Hodge was.

No need to spoil this great team with Sydney and Gold Coast players who turned their backs on their respective clubs.
100%

One of the best rivalries I've witnessed. Can't help but get the feeling the best of it has or is coming to an end, and I've been trying to come up with a combined best 22.

I originally thought I'd limit myself to choosing players based on how they've performed in the Hawks v Geelong games over the period, but instead I've just limited myself to players that have played in a Hawks v Geelong game over the period.

Here's the best team I could come up with;

FB: Hodge (C) ~ Scarlett ~ Gibson
HB: Enright ~ Taylor ~ Birchall

MID: Ottens ~ Ablett ~ Mitchell
MID: Selwood ~ Bartel ~ Burgoyne

HF: Chapman ~ Franklin ~ Johnson
FF: Rioli ~ Roughead ~ Hawkins

INT: Ling ~ Lewis ~ Crawford ~ Corey

Notable players that miss;
Mackie
Kelly
Lake
Mooney
Bateman
Wojcinski
Breust
Milburn
Gunston
Hale
Smith
Dew
Guerra
Sewell
Ling
Harley

Just a slight tweak. Hawkins to ff, Roughead to chf, Franklin to hff and Johnson or Chapman to the fp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best rivalries I've witnessed. Can't help but get the feeling the best of it has or is coming to an end, and I've been trying to come up with a combined best 22.

I originally thought I'd limit myself to choosing players based on how they've performed in the Hawks v Geelong games over the period, but instead I've just limited myself to players that have played in a Hawks v Geelong game over the period.

Mackie
Kelly
Lake
Mooney
Bateman
Wojcinski
Breust
Milburn
Gunston
Hale
Smith
Dew
Guerra
Sewell
Ling
Harley
You have nailed it almost perfectly IMO. Crawford is no shot though, played 1 year in the time and wasn't the star he once was. Replace with Sewell who was a very good finals performer. I'd also have Bruest over Cyril, not as unbelievably talented but Bruest has been very good consistently for a few years now and is still underrated as a player.

Mackie
Kelly
Lake
Mooney
Bateman
Wojcinski
Breust
Milburn
Gunston
Hale
Smith
Dew
Guerra
Sewell
Ling
Harley
Top effort. Couldn't disagree with much

Rioli at FP lol :D
Even Motlop is now on the verge of surpassing him and we're talking about the best of the very best here.
Hell! Stokesy even averaged more goals per game than Rioli up until the 2013 season when he moved into midfield on a permanent basis.

Even Motlop is now on the verge of surpassing him and we're talking about the best of the very best here.
Hell! Stokesy even averaged more goals per game than Rioli up until the 2013 season when he moved into midfield on a permanent basis.
Yeah cos Rioli is so overrated by everyone in the media who the hell knows what they see in his footy does nothing on the field

Edit that should be the whole Hawthorn side overrated the lot of em. God knows how they keep winning

FB: Corey Enright ~ Mathew Scarlett ~ Josh Gibson
HB: Andrew Maccie ~ Harry Taylor ~ Luke Hodge

MID: Chance Bateman ~ Joel Selwood ~ Shaun Burgoyne

HF: Paul Chapman ~ Lance Franklin ~ Steve Johnson
FF: Cyril Rioli ~ Tom Hawkins ~ Jarryd Roughead

Foll: Brad Ottens ~ Gary Ablett ~ Sam Mitchell

INT: Shane Crawford ~ Jimmy Bartel ~ Grant Birchall ~ Cameron Ling

LOL Bobby....Wlll your Rioli envy ever subside???.....Number 1 rated Hawk by Champion Data prior to injury in 2014, Triple Premiership player & skills like Motlop & Stokes wish they had!

Give it a rest, it's the off season!

FB: Corey Enright ~ Mathew Scarlett ~ Josh Gibson
HB: Andrew Maccie ~ Harry Taylor ~ Luke Hodge

MID: Chance Bateman ~ Joel Selwood ~ Shaun Burgoyne

HF: Paul Chapman ~ Lance Franklin ~ Steve Johnson
FF: Cyril Rioli ~ Tom Hawkins ~ Jarryd Roughead

Foll: Brad Ottens ~ Gary Ablett ~ Sam Mitchell

INT: Shane Crawford ~ Jimmy Bartel ~ Grant Birchall ~ Cameron Ling

Surely Joel Corey gets a spot? He is easily in Geelong's top 10 best players this decade.

Surely Joel Corey gets a spot? He is easily in Geelong's top 10 best players this decade.

But as an inside midfielder he's behind a few.

Haha Bobby

Will Langford has to be a walk up start, hey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back