2008 - 2014 Hawks v Geelong best combined 22

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL Bobby....Wlll your Rioli envy ever subside???

Rioli envy?
I certainly don't envy him. I think he's a brilliant talent but he's drastically inconsistent and still hardly done nothing in September, yet (and yes . . . he was pretty poor in this years grand final).

Mark Williams was a better goal kicker than Cyril. Just as lively in the air and on the ground. Why not have him at forward pocket instead?

Rioli envy?
I certainly don't envy him. I think he's a brilliant talent but he's drastically inconsistent and still hardly done nothing in September, yet (and yes . . . he was pretty poor in this years grand final).

Mark Williams was a better goal kicker than Cyril. Just as lively in the air and on the ground. Why not have him at forward pocket instead?

Because Willo, and I love the guy, was only lively when he could snatch a goal (besides that great moment with Dew) and shows how you value a forward. He brought nothing besides goals and marking for a medium forward, didn't pressure or crumb and would often get in Franklin's space. He also had one good year in the last 6, so I know you're just putting down Rioli, very poorly.
Rioli is an elite defensive forward (perhaps the best) and just makes something happen when he has the ball. I was a little mad when we traded Willo though I knew he could be done, if we ever traded Rioli Hawks fans would riot.

Rioli envy?

You need to work on them there double-negatives Bobby!....Remember your maths, 2 negatives makes a positive, much like Cyril's contribution to 3 Premierships!:D....I hope you can work on your Cyril issues over summer!

FB: Hodge (C) ~ Scarlett ~ Gibson
HB: Enright ~ Taylor ~ Birchall

MID: Ottens ~ Ablett ~ Mitchell
MID: Selwood ~ Bartel ~ Burgoyne

HF: Chapman ~ Franklin ~ Johnson
FF: Rioli ~ Roughead ~ Hawkins

INT: Ling ~ Lewis ~ Crawford ~ Corey

Would have won every flag from 2008 to 2014 :thumbsu:

One of the best rivalries I've witnessed. Can't help but get the feeling the best of it has or is coming to an end, and I've been trying to come up with a combined best 22.

I originally thought I'd limit myself to choosing players based on how they've performed in the Hawks v Geelong games over the period, but instead I've just limited myself to players that have played in a Hawks v Geelong game over the period.

Here's the best team I could come up with;

Notable players that miss;
Mackie
Kelly
Lake
Mooney
Bateman
Wojcinski
Breust
Milburn
Gunston
Hale
Smith
Dew
Guerra
Sewell
Ling
Harley

what a formidable line up.

that side could be capable of winning a premiership or two.

Because Willo, and I love the guy, was only lively when he could snatch a goal (besides that great moment with Dew) and shows how you value a forward. He brought nothing besides goals and marking for a medium forward, didn't pressure or crumb and would often get in Franklin's space. He also had one good year in the last 6, so I know you're just putting down Rioli, very poorly.
Rioli is an elite defensive forward (perhaps the best) and just makes something happen when he has the ball. I was a little mad when we traded Willo though I knew he could be done, if we ever traded Rioli Hawks fans would riot.

strange how the game has transformed the average football fan. We've now succumb to taking pressure acts, tackles and defensive pressure over the ability to kick more goals on a weekly/yearly basis.

Between 2004 - 2008, Williams was averaging 2.5 goals, 4.2 marks and playing in a fairly ordinary team at the time.
He also only had the opportunity to partake in the one finals series and managed to step up there and contribute in helping Hawthorn secure the 2008 premiership.

I think Rioli needs to be seriously re-considered in this line-up. I mean, even Luke Breust is now a more productive footballer (overall) and he's yet to notch up 100 games. This consistent tag that Cyril's 'defensive assets' sets him apart is over hyped. It's almost a cop out for his inconsistency/inability to kick multiple goals every week as a forward.
He was trialled in midfield and couldn't handle it. Either pick another footballer that doesn't s**t the bed in September or continue to laud his defensive acts as some kind of perennial necessity because I'd take a small forward that can actually step it up continually over one that obviously cannot.

Can we have a thread that mentions Cyril and not over the top debate his value.

Not enough Lonergan for mine. He has smothered pretty much Rough and Buddy when he's played on them over the journey in the back line.

Not sure whom to take out but think its fair to recognize his performance.

Go Catters

Not enough Lonergan for mine. He has smothered pretty much Rough and Buddy when he's played on them over the journey in the back line.

Go Catters

You know it's strange, he's beaten Roughead and Franklin over the years, but for some reason he can't seem to match-up well on Gunston, who isn't even as good as the other two. :confused:

You know it's strange, he's beaten Roughead and Franklin over the years, but for some reason he can't seem to match-up well on Gunston, who isn't even as good as the other two. :confused:
Gunston is willing to run while Franklin would always try and wrestle with him which played to Lonergan's strengths

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best rivalries I've witnessed. Can't help but get the feeling the best of it has or is coming to an end, and I've been trying to come up with a combined best 22.

I originally thought I'd limit myself to choosing players based on how they've performed in the Hawks v Geelong games over the period, but instead I've just limited myself to players that have played in a Hawks v Geelong game over the period.

Notable players that miss;
Mackie
Kelly
Lake
Mooney
Bateman
Wojcinski
Breust
Milburn
Gunston
Hale
Smith
Dew
Guerra
Sewell
Ling
Harley
Great thread idea, I will have to give it a go. Personally, I would like to base it on the performances in such games. Given that, I'd say Bateman and Ling would be mandatory inclusions to your team, both were quite effective against this specific opponent.

Gunston is willing to run while Franklin would always try and wrestle with him which played to Lonergan's strengths
+1

Not just a Gunston/Buddy/Lonergan thing though. Watch any of those games and you will see that when Hawthorn kicked long going forward, Geelong dominated, when Hawthorn hit up the 40m out target, Hawthorn dominated.

Go Catters

Lonergan is fantastic, but he's competing with Scarlett, Taylor, Croad, Gibson and Lake for 3 spots.

Reckon you've pretty much nailed it. Any changes would be just splitting hairs.

That said, I'd probably swap Corey with Lake, just to give the team more Talls depth on the bench.

Who would coach.

Not that bloke who broke Ian Aitkens jaw

Like - - if he had broken Rys Jones jaw - or Jimmy Buckleys jaw - or Wow Jones jaw - nobody would have given a hoot - because they were all dirty - aggro types - but Ian Aitken !- he wouldnt have hurt a fly

Its a bit like - if an opposition player broke Dippers jaw - or Mathews or Don Scotts jaw - you could understand it - but if someone broke say Chris Mews jaw - you would be outraged

Not that bloke who broke Ian Aitkens jaw

Like - - if he had broken Rys Jones jaw - or Jimmy Buckleys jaw - or Wow Jones jaw - nobody would have given a hoot - because they were all dirty - aggro types - but Ian Aitken !- he wouldnt have hurt a fly

Its a bit like - if an opposition player broke Dippers jaw - or Mathews or Don Scotts jaw - you could understand it - but if someone broke say Chris Mews jaw - you would be outraged

So you mean the bloke that has won 3 flags in 10 seasons (that is, a better strike rate than Kevin Sheery, Leigh Matthews, Mick Malthouse and Alan Jeans?)

Lonergan is fantastic, but he's competing with Scarlett, Taylor, Croad, Gibson and Lake for 3 spots.

If we are talking about Cats /Hawks games, I d take Domsy over Gibson. Not saying Gibbo is no good but in many of these games he has been beaten by Hawk / Pods… Domsy had his colours lowered by Gunston once for sure however….

GO Catters

If we are talking about Cats /Hawks games, I d take Domsy over Gibson. Not saying Gibbo is no good but in many of these games he has been beaten by Hawk / Pods… Domsy had his colours lowered by Gunston once for sure however….

GO Catters
I'd personally have Lonergan ahead of Gibson, but I'd have Milburn ahead of both of them as the medium 3rd/4th defender. Gibson's strength is spoiling but it's largely making up for his inability or unwillingness to go for marks in defense. Milburn was at least as good at counter-attacking but a better defender overall.

Gibson has been a B&F winner in a flag year, best finals player and RU B&F in his stretch with the Hawks.

There's no way he wouldn't be in a 'best of' team.

He finished top 10 this year in the B&F and missed half the year. Even Mitchell didn't manage that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back