2008/9/10 draft top 10 redone

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill have to see more of Richmond, because for Martin to be ahead of Fyfe means he must be pretty bloody impressive!

Ill have to see more of Richmond, because for Martin to be ahead of Fyfe means he must be pretty bloody impressive!
Let me rate them on attributes.
Kicking - fairly even though Martin can kick a bit further. Not sure about his left foot though????
Handballing - Martin
Contested possessions - Even
Clearances - Even
Marking - Fyfe
Tackles - Even
Goals - Even

Martin's kicking is significantly better; Fyfe's marking is significantly better.

Fyfe is a better contested ball winner IMO; Martin is more explosive.

They're such different players it has to come down to who performed to a higher level... I think that was Fyfe.

Martin's kicking is significantly better; Fyfe's marking is significantly better.

Fyfe is a better contested ball winner IMO; Martin is more explosive.

They're such different players it has to come down to who performed to a higher level... I think that was Fyfe.

Spot on.

Fyfe's kicking is getting better and better and he has no trouble kicking goals from outside 50. He goes for the high risk high reward kick a bit too often but he will eventually pull these off. Guy sleeps with a footy.

Kicking : Martin
Handball: Martin
Marking: Fyfe
Contested ball: Both can get it but Martin is better at extracting it
Goal: Martin
Footy smarts: Fyfe

Even though I have it as 4-2 in martins favor I still couldn't split them on who will be better. It can be argued that Fyfes contested marking is worth more than Martins advantage in disposal.

If I had to choose one right now it would be Martin purely on the fact that Fyfes shoulders popping out are a risk.

Some people (West Coast supporting and otherwise) believe Shuey is a better footballer than Heppell.

FWIW, the same guy didn't highlight Rich in bold, and didn't even list Hannebery, the previous two Rising Star winners.

The rising star award is an overrated, and is highly compromised award anyway. It's rules are rather arbitrary in terms of what defines a rising player, let alone a star. All the rising star awards in the world will never convince me that Palmer is better than either Cotchin or Rioli. All I'm saying is that there is a massive risk in placing emphasis on such an award.

If I had to choose one right now it would be Martin purely on the fact that Fyfes shoulders popping out are a risk.

Yeah, he certainly has Hird like courage, unfortunately he has a Hird like frame as well. It'll be interesting if his body can keep up with his courageous style of play.

For the record, I think it's too early to tell on the first two picks of the 2009 draft.

Yeah, he certainly has Hird like courage, unfortunately he has a Hird like frame as well. It'll be interesting if his body can keep up with his courageous style of play.

For the record, I think it's too early to tell on the first two picks of the 2009 draft.

He's putting on muscle pretty well already. Got a wiry type of body that should hold up ok under normal duress. It's the collision injuries that you can't control.

athletically or footballing (mark, kick, h/ball, tackling etc)?

Athletically, Hurley has him covered in most footy skill aspects.

But as we have seen, Naitanui does the impossible to get the ball and take it to a good spot, then maybe mongrels a kick through from close range :p.
Agree RE Swallow - criminally underrated in Vic.

Comment RE talent though (Naita v Hurley) - athletically yes, but football skills not a chance.

Yeah I was more talking about athletically. Naitanui moves like a midfielder but he can jump and compete with Sandilands. It's insane.

He's probably got Hurley covered in tapwork/roving but otherwise Hurley definitely is more skilled.

He's probably got Hurley covered in tapwork/roving but otherwise Hurley definitely is more skilled.

Naitanui's contested ball winning is phenomenal. As is his handballing and vision out of congestion. His palm work and deft touches for a ruckman is also brilliant (as the highlights package earlier showed). His tackling is a given. He also likes to carry the ball and break lines.

Naitanui's athleticism allows him to do many things but many people overlook the genuine football skills he possesses because of it.

For a bloke who supposedly doesn't know where to run, he gets just as much or more of the ball then most ruckman his age and many older ruckmen with good reputations. He gets hammered for winning the hard ball instead of sneaking off for cheap kicks on the wing.

It's mind boggling that everyone bags seagulls then dismisses a very good contested ball winning player.

EDIT: I'm not saying he's being totally dismissed as everyone here acknowledges he's a terrific prospect. I mean his football nous is totally dismissed.

Naitanui's contested ball winning is phenomenal. As is his handballing and vision out of congestion. His palm work and deft touches(=tapwork) for a ruckman is also brilliant (as the highlights package earlier showed). His tackling is a given. He also likes to carry the ball and break lines.(=roving)
I think we're in heated agreement.
EDIT: I'm not saying he's being totally dismissed as everyone here acknowledges he's a terrific prospect. I mean his football nous is totally dismissed.

I'm not dismissing his football nous, I was just saying that Hurley has better footballing nous. My OP was actually saying I think Naitanui will be better so you're really just arguing for my original opinion.

Also it should probably be noted that saints supporters are one of the few groups who can be impartial in this discussion seeing as we've had no top 10 picks in any of these 3 drafts.

Felt like putting up a new thread for discussion
The off-season is getting really really boring so I thought I'd put this up, also I have probably missed very obvious selections so be aware of that

This is who I rate, on current output and potential
2008-

1.Michael Hurley
2.Nic Natanui
3.Luke Shuey
4.Jack Ziebell
5.Chris Yarran
6.Steel Sidebottom
7.Daniel Rich
8.Liam Shiels
9.Jack Redden
10.Tyrone Vickery

2009-

1. Dustin Martin
2. Nathan Fyfe
3. Tom Scully
4. Jack Trengove
5. John Butcher
6. Sam Reid
7. Gary Rohan
8. Ryan Bastinac
9. Jake Melksham
10. Anthony Morabito

2010 -
1. David Swallow
2. Dyson Heppell
3. Andrew Gaff
4. Harley Bennell
5. Jarred Polec
6. Jack Darling
7. Sam Day
8. Dion Prestia
9. Thomas Lynch
10. Issac Smith

Dont consider 2010 that much due to the limited amount we have seen

Also the reason this isnt in the list section is because well lets be honest nobody really goes there

2008:

1. Dayne Beams
2. Daniel Hannebery
3. Rory Sloane
4. Tom Rockliff
5. Nic Naitanui
6. Steele Sidebottom
7. Stephen Hill
8. Michael Walters
9. Luke Breust
10.Jack Ziebell

2009:

1. Nathan Fyfe
2. Dustin Martin
3. Michael Barlow
4. Daniel Talia
5. Ben Cunnington
6. Jack Gunston
7. Jake Carlisle
8. Mitch Duncan
9. Allen Christensen
10. Sam Reid

2010:

1. Harley Bennell
2. Luke Parker
3. Dion Prestia
4. Tom Liberatore
5. Dyson Heppell
6. David Swallow
7. Luke Dahlhaus
8. Jack Darling
9. Jared Polec
10. Isaac Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008 Draft.

1. Beams
2. Rockliff
3. Hannebery
4. Sloane
5. Sidebottom
6. Naitanui
7. Hill
8. Breust
9. Hartlett
10. Shuey

2008:

1. Dayne Beams
2. Daniel Hannebery
3. Rory Sloane
4. Tom Rockliff
5. Nic Naitanui
6. Steele Sidebottom
7. Stephen Hill
8. Michael Walters
9. Luke Breust
10.Jack Ziebell

2009:

1. Nathan Fyfe
2. Dustin Martin
3. Michael Barlow
4. Daniel Talia
5. Ben Cunnington
6. Jack Gunston
7. Jake Carlisle
8. Mitch Duncan
9. Allen Christensen
10. Sam Reid

2010:

1. Harley Bennell
2. Luke Parker
3. Dion Prestia
4. Tom Liberatore
5. Dyson Heppell
6. David Swallow
7. Luke Dahlhaus
8. Jack Darling
9. Jared Polec
10. Isaac Smith
Isaac Smith is significantly better then Polec.

God Hartlett is still very underrated
Pretty much, Since he's ironed out pinging his hamstring and punching Rioli every chance he gets he's turned into a pretty damn good midfielder. I think the fact that Grey/Boak stood up so much this year overshadowed some blokes like hartlett stepping up

Absolute BS. He's only in the list for his potential. Every other player listed has shown much more than Nic Nat
I strongly disagree. NN has had an injury plagued two seasons, yet was still just ahead on an independant statistical ranking one of the posters on this site does, using champion data values.

Has an AA and is still up with the very best from that draft. You may argue that people are basing their ranking on historical output, but not just potential.

Absolute BS. He's only in the list for his potential. Every other player listed has shown much more than Nic Nat

You can build around Nic Nat's unique gifts and skill set and he's still coming into his prime.

Great midfielders are great, match winning ruckmen more highly sought after.

Isaac Smith is significantly better then Polec.

He is, but Isaac Smith is about four years older then his fellow draftees. If he was the same age he would be rated a lot higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back