2008 draft how it would be today

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are using All Australian as a means of rating someone then that's a joke.

No offence but if you are using "how often they get tagged" for rating someone then you display very little football knowledge. Coaches don't just sit there and decide to tag whoever is da bestest. There is many factors to consider.

No offence but if you are using "how often they get tagged" for rating someone then you display very little football knowledge. Coaches don't just sit there and decide to tag whoever is da bestest. There is many factors to consider.
Agree - Hill gets tagged because he is easy to shut out of a game. Barlow and Mundy will still do what they do with a tag. Stanton would get the tag over Watson in some games.

The days of tagging the best player is gone. It is which player you can restrict the most. Hill is that at Freo.

Agree - Hill gets tagged because he is easy to shut out of a game. Barlow and Mundy will still do what they do with a tag. Stanton would get the tag over Watson in some games.

The days of tagging the best player is gone. It is which player you can restrict the most. Hill is that at Freo.
If you both don't understand why Hill is tagged at freo by now, you never will. Watch his game against the Bulldogs this year, when hill is left to roam free he can seriously hurt the opposition offensively. Breaks lines, kicks goals and is the best kick on freos list.

I didn't see Beams coming that year.
Thought Rocky was a first rounder.
In hindsight those 2 players would go top 2 - then there is daylight.
I'd of taken Daniel Rich that year, thought he was a standout top pick.
Not sure where that draft is at now, all I know is that the list starts after Beams and Rockliff - because they are too far ahead.

Would take Rockliff at 1, Beams with 2 and with pick 3, probably Sloane or NicNat

I didn't see Beams coming that year.
Thought Rocky was a first rounder.
In hindsight those 2 players would go top 2 - then there is daylight.
I'd of taken Daniel Rich that year, thought he was a standout top pick.
Not sure where that draft is at now, all I know is that the list starts after Beams and Rockliff - because they are too far ahead.
Rockliff was overlooked in all 85 picks and taken in the pre season draft. One of the all time greatest steals.

If you both don't understand why Hill is tagged at freo by now, you never will. Watch his game against the Bulldogs this year, when hill is left to roam free he can seriously hurt the opposition offensively. Breaks lines, kicks goals and is the best kick on freos list.
Not sure hurting the dogs is a big claim to fane. Yes he can hurt you but getting 14-16 touches in games shows he gets shut down when you apply a run with role. He may get better at breaking a tag but not the biggest worry on the Freo list. Run with him and he is easily negated.

Beams owns this thread, Rockliff is a star, the rest are miles off.
Oh please. Beams is as overrated as sliced bread and the nba slam dunk contest. We're talking one of the most even drafts in AFL history. Beams has a bee's dick over the 10th best player in this draft on a good day...and that's only because Chael feels sorry for the dork and his 'oh I wanna go home' sad stories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Sloane gets a mention before the "miles off" rest?
He's a very good player but a level down. Beams is elite.

Oh please. Beams is as overrated as sliced bread and the nba slam dunk contest. We're talking one of the most even drafts in AFL history. Beams has a bee's dick over the 10th best player in this draft on a good day...and that's only because Chael feels sorry for the dork and his 'oh I wanna go home' sad stories.
Oh that's sweet. You just started watching footy? Welcome to the fold.

A truer thing has never been said.

It's so great that we have both at Brisbane now
I bet you're wrapped. You should be. They will be a fantastic duo leading your midfield. With your bevy of quality youngsters through there the future looks bright.

1. Beams
2. Rockliff
3. Hannebery
4. Naitinui
5. Sloane
6. Sidebottom
7. Trengove
8. Breust
9. Hartlett
10. Shuey
11. Davis
12. Jack Redden
13. Ziebell
14. Zaharakis
15. Hill
16. Steven Motlop
17. Rich
18. Ballantyne
19. Walters
20. Shiels
21. Broadbent
22. Vickery
23. Yarran
24. Watts
25. Hurley
26. Clarke
27. Jetta
28. Wright
29. Stanley
30. Suban
31. Schoenmakers
32. Lynch
33. Roughead
34. Bennell
35. Robinson
36. Anthony
37. Liam Jones
38. Lowden
39. Johnston
40. Lisle

I'm not gonna bother with the rookie list.

EDIT: Forgot Luke Breust derp

Last edited:
1. Beams
2. Rockliff
3. Hannebery
4. Naitinui
5. Sloane
6. Sidebottom
7. Trengove
8. Hartlett
9. Shuey
10. Davis
11. Jack Redden
12. Ziebell
13. Zaharakis
14. Hill
15. Steven Motlop
16. Rich
17. Ballantyne
18. Walters
19. Shiels
20. Broadbent
21. Vickery
22. Yarran
23. Watts
24. Hurley
25. Clarke
26. Jetta
27. Wright
28. Stanley
29. Suban
30. Schoenmakers
31. Lynch
32. Roughead
33. Bennell
34. Robinson
35. Anthony
36. Liam Jones
37. Lowden
38. Johnston
39. Lisle
40. McKernan

I'm not gonna bother with the rookie list.

Where's Luke Breust? :eek:

He would be in the top 10 if that draft was re-done.

If Carlton got to have the players in order I'd choose...

1. Sloane (Complete mid. Gun!)
2. Beams
3. Hannebury
4. Rockliff (Rather the other players get 25 touches than 40 from him)
5. Hartlett (Damaging disposal could make a claim for 4th)

6. Yarran (Yes, obviously bias)
7. Hill
8. Shuey (Victim to a s**t midfield)

9. Davis (Slides due to injuries. Rate)

10. Naitinui (Yes, overrated to the max)
11. Sidebottom
12. Zieball

13. Rich
14. Bruest
15. Redden

No he is not. Way too many poor games to make up for the games that he does influence.
Daniel wells?

Or were you talking about hill? I lost track.

If you apply the same assessment to wells as you have to hill then fair enough. If not, then the bias is clear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back