2008 PDFL split

To change or not to change?

• Nothing wrong with the current PDFL setup.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the proposed 3 tier system.

• I would prefer a 2 Division PDFL only System.

• Needs change ....Maybe another option.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: CHANGES TO CURRENT PDFL ( merged ) NEW COMP / MFL/PDFL 3 Division System Threads

The other way round... Berrigan's application to join the northern league was granted. Strathy's players voted to stay in the northern league (which is a good idea) and Yarra's application to join the southern league was not granted. That leaves 9 teams in the northern league and 8 in the south. Looking at that i would say that there will be a final 5 in the north and a final 4 in the south. I really hope the league can schedule a general bye into both leagues over the queen's birthday long weekend and have a north v's south interleague game. Reckon it would be like a grand final atmosphere with a huge crowd.
Yep sorry got me Norths & Souths around wrong way...Strathy definately staying in North and Berrigan also switching to North. Cheers

Re: CHANGES TO CURRENT PDFL ( merged ) NEW COMP / MFL/PDFL 3 Division System Threads

The other way round... Berrigan's application to join the northern league was granted. Strathy's players voted to stay in the northern league (which is a good idea) and Yarra's application to join the southern league was not granted. That leaves 9 teams in the northern league and 8 in the south. Looking at that i would say that there will be a final 5 in the north and a final 4 in the south. I really hope the league can schedule a general bye into both leagues over the queen's birthday long weekend and have a north v's south interleague game. Reckon it would be like a grand final atmosphere with a huge crowd.

Why wouldn't you have final 4 in both? If they are going to all run under the same banner, it would be silly having two different set ups for the finals.

I'm looking forward to going up to rennie. I dare say a few beers and a meal at the ski club in yarra would be a goer.

Why wouldn't you have final 4 in both? If they are going to all run under the same banner, it would be silly having two different set ups for the finals.

I'm looking forward to going up to rennie. I dare say a few beers and a meal at the ski club in yarra would be a goer.

Well why couldn't it be final 5 in both comps! definately has to be final 5 in north, but i've played in an 8 team comp before & it worked fine with final 5! Personally i think that a final 4 set-up is a BIG WASTE OF TIME!

Plus think of it this way a final 5 gives that 1 extra team the chance to play finals & gain some experince & more money for the club that could host that final (might be yours)! Support the clubs, isn't that what we're here for? Besides maybe 1 day that might be your club in 5th??!!

Well why couldn't it be final 5 in both comps! definately has to be final 5 in north, but i've played in an 8 team comp before & it worked fine with final 5! Personally i think that a final 4 set-up is a BIG WASTE OF TIME!

Plus think of it this way a final 5 gives that 1 extra team the chance to play finals & gain some experince & more money for the club that could host that final (might be yours)! Support the clubs, isn't that what we're here for? Besides maybe 1 day that might be your club in 5th??!!

Definately can't have a final series with only 4 teams it just wouldn't feel right it has to a final 5 in my mind too!

Have you heard anything RE: the outcome of the the above mentioned meeting?

Yes the league has sent notification to clubs that Berrigan, in principle has been suggested to join the North/West comp, whilst all other applications/requests were rejected.
My info, which I deem very creditable, is that Strathy never committed to wanting to go to the Southern comp but wanted to explore that possibility, my info also completely contridicts " the players voting against it " theory as the players were quite happy either way.
Class actions, special general meetings and counter actions are not uncommon phrases being used amongst clubs, think it generally centres around a few clubs being placed in a different comps than their near rivals and is receiving plenty of support from other clubs.

Don't be surprised if the VCFL steps in and we end up with what might be a common sense approach from them, which was suggested to me was their approach a long time ago.
All those to the East of the old GV highway and on or to the east of the Newell in one comp, and all those on or to the west of the old GV highway ,or west of the Newell to the west comp.
Changes would be Berrigan and Jerilderie to the East and Katunga and Waaia to the West. ;);)

Clubs have 10 days apparently to report any further objections, either way it has to be passed via a vote I would think and unsure of the exact constitution, but would think 5 or 6 clubs in favour of, would lead to a special general meeting.:confused::confused:

A final 4 works pretty well, although a 5 is better. I cant have a final 5 in an 8 team comp though. You want the best teams playing in the finals and in MOST occasions i would say that the team finishing 5th out of 8 sides wouldnt fit into the category. Just my oninion though.

Are South East expecting a 16 round season with a couple of general byes and the North West an 18 round season with their byes from having 9 teams?

The PDFL has been a 21 week Home & Away season commitment for the last few years.

So what do ya's think, with the league being split but still ran under the 1 body would we have 1 combined night for both league medals seeing as tho it would still take the same amount of time as there is virtually still same amount of teams (inc rennie)!
& this way we would be able to see all winners of each comp ect ect??

Or are you's thinking seperate nights???

Yarroweyah have withdrawn an appeal to move to the south league, but are requesting guideline's and rule's on what is and what isn't, regarding swapping league's in years to come! Also belive the league needs to have two govering bodies for both comp's to run smoothly, as at the end of the day, the league has split, firmly reckon that both comps should be named as such! So maybe this thread should change, as the league has changed??? ?Regards:thumbsu:

Does anyone know when this split will be finally decided was it this sunday that was the 14 day deadline or last? Im sure there are few clubs/Players/Coaches/Support staff eagerly awaiting an official announcment so a few descisions can be made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All clubs have a right to appeal within 10 days from the way league has decided to put it as of the meating on 25-11-08 witch i make the cut off day will be Friday.The only other way it can be stoped if 5 clubs get support to call a general meating and try to overturn the decision by majority vote.I HOPE NEITHER TAKES PLACE SO WE CAN ALL GET ON WITH FOOTY.

Hey guy's, just a quick opinoin on the north comp draw, had a look at it on the w/end I reckon it starts to early and finishes to early. Going by that draw we would struggle to play finals in Sep?? (I do realise it's only a proposed draw), any thoughts??:thumbsu:

Hey guy's, just a quick opinoin on the north comp draw, had a look at it on the w/end I reckon it starts to early and finishes to early. Going by that draw we would struggle to play finals in Sep?? (I do realise it's only a proposed draw), any thoughts??:thumbsu:

Can someone post the draw on here?

The draw is only in draft mode so can not be published and u need to look at both draws to see how they match up i think they work well together.

The draw is only in draft mode so can not be published and u need to look at both draws to see how they match up i think they work well together.

I have seen the draft and it looks ok. The only problem i see is with Anzac day falling on a sat this year. How will that affect everything? I know in Deni the street leading into our ground is blocked all day due to the march and the RSL only being half a block away.
I would also personally like to see both leagues have the long weeking off in June and schedule a interleague match, although it might be a bit much in the first of the league splitting.

I have seen the draft and it looks ok. The only problem i see is with Anzac day falling on a sat this year. How will that affect everything? I know in Deni the street leading into our ground is blocked all day due to the march and the RSL only being half a block away.
I would also personally like to see both leagues have the long weeking off in June and schedule a interleague match, although it might be a bit much in the first of the league splitting.

Very good point Charles, this would be the common sense thing to do... But I would rather see the Easter long weekend free. But that is only my opinion. And yes that would draw a good crowd and revenue for the comp to see the best of each go at it in a interleague match:thumbsu:

Yeah draw seems ok! Suppose it doesn't really matter when you play every team twice, once at each others ground it can only be fair! & with there being roughly 4 teams more south & the other 5 bit more north the travell factor will be reasonably even wouldn't you think??

With ANZAC day I think we should either start a week earlier & have that weekend off or we play every game that round on the sunday (remembering we've got the monday off to recover)!?

& why not try an interleague match this year if the league themselves are willing to support it! As i would think not having an interleague match for the past 2yrs & being that it would be against our partner league (& new rival league) that the players would be keen as mustard to get out there & play against some familliar faces that they'd now only get to play against once a year!!??

Believe there has been a recent meeting held to discuss and recommend the set-up of the league(s), administrative, make up of finals, naming of leagues, date for certain matters etc etc.
Not a bad idea, but why was the meeting conducted by the South East conference with no input from the North West. except 1 representative from Yarroweyah ?
Surely we don't have a power struggle, take over, already.
Can not see any problems if that league wants to discuss how they wish for there league to be named, ran etc etc, but why make recommendations on what effects the other league and how that should be ran, without their input ?:eek::eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Yeah draw seems ok! Suppose it doesn't really matter when you play every team twice, once at each others ground it can only be fair! & with there being roughly 4 teams more south & the other 5 bit more north the travell factor will be reasonably even wouldn't you think??

With ANZAC day I think we should either start a week earlier & have that weekend off or we play every game that round on the sunday (remembering we've got the monday off to recover)!?

& why not try an interleague match this year if the league themselves are willing to support it! As i would think not having an interleague match for the past 2yrs & being that it would be against our partner league (& new rival league) that the players would be keen as mustard to get out there & play against some familliar faces that they'd now only get to play against once a year!!??

Yea like the idea of a interleague match between the two leagues, maybe a Friday night under lights, would be good or a Sunday ?
Reckon it would also be good to select a team from both conferences and play the HDFL and KDFL leagues.

Yea like the idea of a interleague match between the two leagues, maybe a Friday night under lights, would be good or a Sunday ?
Reckon it would also be good to select a team from both conferences and play the HDFL and KDFL leagues.

Yeah friday night at the D (deaking reserve) sounds good! Unless you know of a more central ground that has good lights that could handle a night game?? Just thinking though that a friday night interleage match at deakin would attract a pretty good crowd!!

Other idea bout 1 combined team to play 1 of the other leagues isn't bad either! Or could we select 1 team from each to play both of those leagues??

Yeah friday night at the D (deaking reserve) sounds good! Unless you know of a more central ground that has good lights that could handle a night game?? Just thinking though that a friday night interleage match at deakin would attract a pretty good crowd!!

Other idea bout 1 combined team to play 1 of the other leagues isn't bad either! Or could we select 1 team from each to play both of those leagues??

The Kattery used to have a night series. The lights are still absolute crakers. Pity it is on 25 k's out of shepp thou and not more central to both divisions.

Back