2010 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee Watch 2010 - Critical and Compromised.

I think we have a huge mid field depth and we do need a key forward who has the "phyiscal game" to make his teamates walk a few inches taller.

I hope Jack Darling survives at pick 15 to allow us to pick him up. He would be a bargain basement pick. Cameron Mooney has a year left to go whilst Tomahawk and Mitchell Brown are Work IN Progress.

So True, Gov.

Conca will go pick 20 I reckon.

I still want a tall, preferably Watson, at 15, and then try and run the guantlet with Smith to 23. But we might just take Smith first.

I am staggered Sheahan doesn't have McCarthy in his top 30 :confused:

Must be an oversite from Sheahan as I think McCarthy will be doing well to be available to us at 15 is no way he isn't among the top 30 players in this draft

Getting a bit sick of every mid-sized player who plays forward of the centre being compared to Steve Johnson. Particularly when they are then called 'silky' or 'pacey' or some s**t - all of the things SJ is not.

Who are the players that are expected to go whatever before our pick that we would like...example Gaff, Polec and Heppell won't go but other guys like Smedts, Caddy, Lynch...would we go for them if they were available.

I think we have a huge mid field depth and we do need a key forward who has the "phyiscal game" to make his teamates walk a few inches taller.

I hope Jack Darling survives at pick 15 to allow us to pick him up. He would be a bargain basement pick. Cameron Mooney has a year left to go whilst Tomahawk and Mitchell Brown are Work IN Progress.

So, if I'm getting the gist of your suggestion right, you expect Darling to precede 'Tomahawk' and 'Mitch' as replacements for 'Moons'. He must be really advanced for an 18y.o.

Emma Qualye's top 25.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-golden-boys-20101113-17s03.html

She has us taking either Smedts or iSmith with 15 no mention of who we might take with 23.

Interesting to see that she thinks that Watson, McCarthy, Darling and Tape will all be available for us at 15 if we want them. Will be interesting to see who we choose if this turns out to be the case

Sheehan's 30 prospects - in alphabetical, not predicted order - are as follows:
Shaun Atley
Harley Bennell
Josh Caddy
Reece Conca
Lucas Cook
Jamie Cripps
Jack Darling
Sam Day
Andrew Gaff
Josh Green
Daniel Gorringe
Mitch Hallahan
Kieran Harper
Dyson Heppell
George Horlin-Smith
Ben Jacobs
Jed Lamb
Scott Lycett
Tom Lynch
Luke Parker
Jayden Pitt
Jared Polec
Dion Prestia
Billie Smedts
Brodie Smith
David Swallow
Seb Tape
Mitch Wallis
Matthew Watson
Aaron Young

Will be interesting to see how close Sheehan is. No McCarthy as mentioned by others.

I really believe they'll take Isaac Smith, both Wells and Scott at freo have had great success with mature age selections and he just is exactly what we need. Not sure about this key defender need, Lonergan (3 year deal) and Taylor are young enough. Gillies has shown ability. I'd take one later, not in the first two. Especially since there are no real outstanding options. Mcarthy looks by far the best but he will be gone. I see Emma Quayle has Watson in the 20s, may be tempting at 23 but he does not look like a Wells pick. Lumbering types are not his go. Only player on our list who fits his profile is Johnson and he was taken as a rookie.

So, if I'm getting the gist of your suggestion right, you expect Darling to precede 'Tomahawk' and 'Mitch' as replacements for 'Moons'. He must be really advanced for an 18y.o.

You mean he wouldn't need to be advanced, don't you?
Realistically! who are they, especially M Brown? If he's the state of our fwd tall stock, then vote one for Darling.

You make a good case for a big fwd, if that's all we can depend on.
Hopefully Darling with 15, if we're so lucky.

I really believe they'll take Isaac Smith, both Wells and Scott at freo have had great success with mature age selections and he just is exactly what we need. Not sure about this key defender need, Lonergan (3 year deal) and Taylor are young enough. Gillies has shown ability. I'd take one later, not in the first two. Especially since there are no real outstanding options. Mcarthy looks by far the best but he will be gone. I see Emma Quayle has Watson in the 20s, may be tempting at 23 but he does not look like a Wells pick. Lumbering types are not his go. Only player on our list who fits his profile is Johnson and he was taken as a rookie.

If McCarthy was to fall to 15 he would be worthy of serious consideration. Lonergan is not a long term solution to take on the big bodied forwards - we really have not had anyone to truly replace Egan in this role since his absence. Taylor has done exceptionally well and his role in the 2009 GF was huge but he is better suited as a "3rd tall" option.

Anyway it's probably a moot point anyway as McCarthy is likely to be gone before our first pick anyway.

I have no problem taking I.Smith with our first pick. Hopefully in the AFL system he can continue to develop into that really damaging outside mid that he would be recruited as.

I think Meto is right - it all depends on GFC's assessment of how good they think Tomahawk and Brown will be - as to whether we take a tall forward in the draft.

I am not convinced by Tomahawk yet and no one knows really if Brown will yet be a good forward for us.

I still think we will look at some talls - but more likely down back. Either McCarthy or Watson - then some quick relatively tall players - like Isaac Smith.

However just as likely take the best player available at 15 and 23.

I can't wait to see who takes who and find out how Wells is really thinking.

We have always been fairly secretive regarding our picks in the draft and in particular our first round pick. Talk of Isaac Smith suggests initially this could be just another red herring, even though he does fit the bill of what we could need next season I have seen these logical possibilities thrown up in the past and those players have been available and we didnt touch them. Then it occured to me, with Thompson leaving, might it mean a more open approach from our recruiters?

Time will tell of course, but just a thought. Talk of Jacobs at pick 23 too recently in the HS on the weekend, will be interesting to see if either or both are available at these relative picks whether its real info or not. Then again we may have wanted both but been surprised by who else was left at the same pick. Either way it will be interesting to note any change in direction from previous years or just business as usual and mroe of the same hopefully savvy picks harder to predict.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean he wouldn't need to be advanced, don't you?
Realistically! who are they, especially M Brown? If he's the state of our fwd tall stock, then vote one for Darling.

You make a good case for a big fwd, if that's all we can depend on.
Hopefully Darling with 15, if we're so lucky.

I'm not being critical of the selection of Darling. I'm in no position to be because I haven't seen him play or have any idea of the other factors Stephen Wells and his like take into account. All I know of him is what I've read about him and that's not sufficient to make an informed judgement IMHO. He may turn out to be an inspired choice in time.

The conversation was as a replacement for Moons which would probably be sometime next season. To expect an 18yo to hold down a key position in that time is expecting too much. It rarely happens. Tomahawk showed enough before his injury to suggest he is progressing and with his experience would have to be considered before an untried 18.y.o. And I think it's fair to say that most agree that Brown has shown enough to be anything but has been severely restricted by injury. But with the prospect of a full injury free pre-season he also would have to be in front of Darling too. In fact, I think Balmy suggested recently he's expected to get a senior opportunity next year all things going according to plan.

As I mentioned, Darling may prove to be an inspired choice but at 18 it is a huge ask to expect him to replace Moons in the next 12 months which is what was being suggested.

With the rumour that Pitt might now go to GC, Smedts could slide to 15. I like him somewhat, but I still hope we don't take him, because while he might be the next Menzel type, I feel our list at it's present stage much more requires the next Wocjinski type, or the next quality key defender.

In fact, with such 'sliders', there is now an otuside chance that either McCarthy or Watson make it to 23. Not likely, but possible, and we all saw how possible worked out for Vettel tonight.

If we could get ISmith, and then Watson/McCarthy in the first round, we'd be laughing.

As for Darling, talent, but off field issues may put us off, and again, not an area of great need. If we were keen to pick up a key forward, the list management team would have found a way to use all 6 picks. With 4, I can't see it happening, and certainly not early.

I feel that we need to pick at least 1 key position player. Lycett would be my first choice followed by McKarthy.
Lycett is a ruck / forward, and McCarthy a running HB.
Then speed in the midfield

I'm not being critical of the selection of Darling. I'm in no position to be because I haven't seen him play or have any idea of the other factors Stephen Wells and his like take into account. All I know of him is what I've read about him and that's not sufficient to make an informed judgement IMHO. He may turn out to be an inspired choice in time.

The conversation was as a replacement for Moons which would probably be sometime next season. To expect an 18yo to hold down a key position in that time is expecting too much. It rarely happens. Tomahawk showed enough before his injury to suggest he is progressing and with his experience would have to be considered before an untried 18.y.o. And I think it's fair to say that most agree that Brown has shown enough to be anything but has been severely restricted by injury. But with the prospect of a full injury free pre-season he also would have to be in front of Darling too. In fact, I think Balmy suggested recently he's expected to get a senior opportunity next year all things going according to plan.

As I mentioned, Darling may prove to be an inspired choice but at 18 it is a huge ask to expect him to replace Moons in the next 12 months which is what was being suggested.

Ammo,

Noboby is suggesting we'll have an 18yr old CHF next year if we draft Jack.
Nor should or would anyone! So I just don't get your logic about some instant expectation of Darling next year???

He'd play VFL like anyother new recruit with a view to a few games later in the year at best, but first year development would be at VFL level, one would imagine, although, to his credit, he's got a ready made big frame.

They have to try Brown asap, it's his 3rd year, and still nobody knows anything much, apart that he goes down injured, often!

Tomahawk, where does he fit??? the $64,000 question, if he was the Mooney replacement your claiming him to be, then why hasn't he done it?????
That's why Mooney's still a required contract.
I believe our greatest need ATM is a big forward, with a view to 2012 and beyond, the cupboard's pretty bare.

All this Issac Smith talk to me seems a bit misguided. I would have thought that he would be able to be traded by the Gold Coast to Geelong under the GC concessions such was used for Cam Richardson, John Ceglar, Andrew Krakouer etc so I'm not sure why Geelong wouldn't have just traded their Ablett compensation pick for Smith then. The GC would have accepted Geelong's best draft piece if it was offered and if they want him desperately at 15 then I'm sure they would have been willing to offload it. That makes me think Geelong are not interested in Smith with 15. It's also a no brainer for the GC as they would get a pick 15 for free basically.

There are no teams with multiple selections prior in the top 25 besides Geelong, the Gold Coast and Brisbane. All of the Gold Coast's selections are before Geelong's first selection and Brisbane have picks 5 and 25 so their selections won't effect who Geelong take at 15 and 23. So I don't think Geelong would be trying to out fox anyone who has a selection prior to 15 by saying they want Smith desperately at 15. I have no doubt either it's a deliberate leak seeing both the Herald Sun and The Age are running with it. No other team could get any advantage over Geelong by taking Smith before 15.

It makes me think that they are more trying to fox North into thinking that Geelong will take him at 23 i.e. they really wanted him at 15 and so if he is there at 23 of course they would take him. They may force the Kangaroos to take Smith with 17 rather than 27. It also makes me think Smith is going to be worth (to Geelong) realistically something in the 25-35 range. That would mean to me that Geelong actually don't rate Issac Smith at all and he isn't going to be taken by Geelong. They want to get North to commit to Smith there as they believe that there is talent who they really like that may slide through to 23. Remember North taking a player early (with say 17 instead of 27) means there is more to choose from especially if they have similar tastes on other players.

It's also very possible that with say 17 and 22 effectively gone, Geelong could be picking from a very similar crop of players at 23 as they are at 15. It would be pretty hard for Port to pass up Lycett at 16 being need of a ruck and being a local and good value selection. You would think that Carlton and Hawthorn (given their glaring needs in key defense) may find it hard to pass up Watson and/or McCarthy. Then it's very likely that Jack Darling is sitting around at 20 with Fremantle and Sydney to pick before Geelong. I tend to think that this means Geelong are going for versatile midfielders early on in this draft and I don't think the crop at 15 is going to be terribly different from at 23. Its possible that Key Position players, Father-sons and Issac Smith make up nearly all the selections from 16-22.

However, thats just my thoughts and I'm sure there is a lot more foxing going on! Could be some very talented players available at 23 if the cards fall right. Knightmare (who I trust) did state that it would be better to wait for Key Defenders later in the draft as there are far better value hanging around. I think Geelong will go a key defender at 36. Then take a best available with 54. There is always a player or two that drops especially in a strong draft and to get a player that talent wise should have been 30s no matter what position would be a good get at this stage.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that GC were not able to pre-list I.Smith for some reason.

Having said that I wrote a similar piece a few days ago. I wonder whether it is a bit of a bluff as well. He does though tick quite a few boxes as a suitable draftee for the cats so it may be a legitimate leak as well.

Time will tell.

Yeah, Isaac Smith has never nominated for the draft before, so that is why GC couldn't prelist him.

If McCarthy was to fall to 15 he would be worthy of serious consideration. Lonergan is not a long term solution to take on the big bodied forwards - we really have not had anyone to truly replace Egan in this role since his absence. Taylor has done exceptionally well and his role in the 2009 GF was huge but he is better suited as a "3rd tall" option.

Anyway it's probably a moot point anyway as McCarthy is likely to be gone before our first pick anyway.

I have no problem taking I.Smith with our first pick. Hopefully in the AFL system he can continue to develop into that really damaging outside mid that he would be recruited as.

I've seen McCarthy play through both school and club football (I'm a couple of years older) and he was always a struggler. I must admit I haven't seen him play this year but even last year he struggled. Good bloke but he has always been soft at the ball and lacked any real skills, that said, he may have improved this year but to be touted as a first round pick he must have improved out of sight to when I last saw him play a year ago.

Ammo,

Noboby is suggesting we'll have an 18yr old CHF next year if we draft Jack.
Nor should or would anyone! So I just don't get your logic about some instant expectation of Darling next year???

He'd play VFL like anyother new recruit with a view to a few games later in the year at best, but first year development would be at VFL level, one would imagine, although, to his credit, he's got a ready made big frame.

They have to try Brown asap, it's his 3rd year, and still nobody knows anything much, apart that he goes down injured, often!

Tomahawk, where does he fit??? the $64,000 question, if he was the Mooney replacement your claiming him to be, then why hasn't he done it?????
That's why Mooney's still a required contract.
I believe our greatest need ATM is a big forward, with a view to 2012 and beyond, the cupboard's pretty bear.

Meto,

In the first instance I was responding to the post by The Governor who referred to Darling in the context of Mooney's impending retirement and Tomahawk and Mitchell Brown as "Work IN progress". That read to me as The Gov feeling he (Darling) would be a more likely immediate replacement for Moons than the others. Which I didn't buy. If I misread what The Gov was meaning, my apologies. Anyhoooo, I don't disagree that a power forward would be desirable for down the track and if Darling is the real deal he's worth a good hard look, though I'd prefer a genuinely quick midfielder at 15.

Meto,

In the first instance I was responding to the post by The Governor who referred to Darling in the context of Mooney's impending retirement and Tomahawk and Mitchell Brown as "Work IN progress". That read to me as The Gov feeling he (Darling) would be a more likely immediate replacement for Moons than the others. Which I didn't buy. If I misread what The Gov was meaning, my apologies. Anyhoooo, I don't disagree that a power forward would be desirable for down the track and if Darling is the real deal he's worth a good hard look, though I'd prefer a genuinely quick midfielder at 15.

We've been giving away midfielders in recent years as everyone knows, I carn't understand the obvious neglect up fwd, why the crave for more mids if its a strength??????
Anyhow, if you get your wish, I hope he's a good one.

We've been giving away midfielders in recent years as everyone knows, I carn't understand the obvious neglect up fwd, why the crave for more mids if its a strength??????
Anyhow, if you get your wish, I hope he's a good one.

Collingwood demonstrated the need for quick talented midfielders. We have bucket loads of midfield talent but the best of 'em lack genuine leg speed. Games are won and lost in the midfield - again as Collingwood demonstrated. However, it's not either/or I'm sure we'll find some balance in the players we get with our full range of picks.

BTW. Why are all you guys who have commented with so much energy here (lerved reading it) so reticent to put your selections in SJ's thread? C'mon P.O:D

I personally have the same opinion as P_O. Take Watson with pick 15 and then with pick 23 take the best quick outside midfielder possible (which I would think there will still be a good crop to pick from). For those of you saying that we need a KPF, what is to say that Watson wont be able to fill that role. A guy with his smarts (reading of the play) I feel would be able to play at both ends of the ground, especially when you take into account how well Watson kicks the ball. Sure he may not play KPF, but if playing him down back does not work out for whatever reason, or we need to fill a hole in the forward line (because of injuries etc.) then it is another possible position he could play as a backup plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back