2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt his opponent kick 4 goals last week?? As a forward, if I have 5 kicks and kick 4 goals I have done my job

taylor jones only played on marusic for 1 qtr against gippsland and marusic kicked 1 of his goals in that time im quite sure. Other than that he was one of the only jets players who was actually competitive and took the game on as he did against dandenong again yesterday.

taylor jones only played on marusic for 1 qtr against gippsland and marusic kicked 1 of his goals in that time im quite sure. Other than that he was one of the only jets players who was actually competitive and took the game on as he did against dandenong again yesterday.
Skillsy...i wasnt referring to Taylor Jones

The two go hand in hand don't they?

The footy they are currently playing isn't going to win games, and it isn't going to get anybody drafted.

I agree with you - if a side is playing good footy, then the players confidence grows, they begin to show more AFL traits that recruiters look for.

I have no doubt in the past that some players have been drafted because they just happen to be part of a successful TAC Cup club. Being in a winning team/culture/environment makes average players look better than they really are.

What I find disappointing is that the coach made similar mistakes last year with the way he went about this so called 'player development' and the Jets went from having a handful of draftees preseason to just one and a rookie.
At long last...a post that tells it how it is. FM you are spot on, the Jets talk about player development but thats where it ends. If playing your ruckman on the wing, midfielders out of the goal square and 6 changes a week is player development then they are ahead of their time.:rolleyes: Versatilty means having the abilty to play in a different position when needed to have an impact on a game...not to be moved to 3 different positions and be rotated to the bench several times a quarter like the jets seem to do. Strong word too is that there is conflicting instructions from the coaching panel...coach says one thing and Korzinsky says another??? Why is a 165cm guy telling the rucks how to ruck???

At long last...a post that tells it how it is. FM you are spot on, the Jets talk about player development but thats where it ends. If playing your ruckman on the wing, midfielders out of the goal square and 6 changes a week is player development then they are ahead of their time.:rolleyes: Versatilty means having the abilty to play in a different position when needed to have an impact on a game...not to be moved to 3 different positions and be rotated to the bench several times a quarter like the jets seem to do. Strong word too is that there is conflicting instructions from the coaching panel...coach says one thing and Korzinsky says another??? Why is a 165cm guy telling the rucks how to ruck???

Busta, perhaps if the coaching staff identify the aforementioned ruckman as a winger, then surely the strategy would be to play him as a wingman rather than rotate thru the bench, fb, chb etc... Heard similar words re the diminutive assistant coach, likes to provide his opinions to the group which are at times in stark conflict to the messages from the cockroach and ruck coach.....

Versatilty means having the abilty to play in a different position when needed to have an impact on a game...not to be moved to 3 different positions and be rotated to the bench several times a quarter like the jets seem to do.
Very well put.

Can't help but think back to last year, guys like Tighe and Fitzpatrick would spent five minutes forward, then go back for five minutes, then go into the ruck for five minutes...moved around like chess pieces. Fitzpatrick busting his finger was the best thing that could have happened to his draft prospects. Guys down back would be doing a decent job on an opponent, then inexplicably they'd shuffle their match ups around. If a bloke is doing a good job on an opponent, I cant see why they don't leave them there.

Coaching the Jets would not be an easy gig, and it seems over the years that everybody whose turned their hand to it has generally failed. And the problems may lie a bit deeper than just the coach. Kretiuk is copping a fair bit of criticism, some warranted, but he hasn't got a lot of cattle to work with this year. However, his challenge is to get the best out of what he's got. Dale Tapping has done exactly that with the Sandringham Dragons.

Coaching the Jets would not be an easy gig, and it seems over the years that everybody whose turned their hand to it has generally failed. And the problems may lie a bit deeper than just the coach. Kretiuk is copping a fair bit of criticism, some warranted, but he hasn't got a lot of cattle to work with this year. However, his challenge is to get the best out of what he's got. Dale Tapping has done exactly that with the Sandringham Dragons.

FM - You are heading in the right direction. Yes the players need to accept some accountability, even though played out of position you need to do this to the best of your ability and follow team rules. The coaching staff also have to be accountable as they are dictating the way the team should play. In saying that I do not think that Kretiuk or those before him have done a bad job. IMO from what I have seen the problem with the Jets is that they are rotting from the head down. Their GM - Shane Sexton, (also Chairman of Selectors) has always had too much to say and had too much control. He should concentrate more on the pathway for players through all Jets squads and general admin, and leave the coaching of the TAC Squad to the appointed coach.

alot of talk about the jets not having the cattle

2 years ago in the under 16's vic metropolitan carnival (the conway, casley, mckenzie age group) the jets were one of the best performed teams.

at that stage it's really blokes coming straight out of local league and being thrown together.

does point to a lack of development happening.

why?

that's the important question

Not everyone has generally failed at coaching the Jets, I thought Mark Nield did a fantastic job while he was down there even though it took him three years to get the squad into the finals they had what would be considered a very successful season back in 2007 when they won 7 or 8 in a row which was I believe a club record.

Their GM - Shane Sexton, (also Chairman of Selectors) has always had too much to say and had too much control. He should concentrate more on the pathway for players through all Jets squads and general admin, and leave the coaching of the TAC Squad to the appointed coach.

Agreed! Many times I have been able to catch a Jets match Shane has been on the bench coaching and yelling at the kids - no wonder they get confused. Alot of people on here have an opinion on the Jets and i'm wondering what your contructive positive advice would be to these kids and this club and do you think they can get some form together and win some games

Just wondering what has happened to Jake Allan, heard alot of talk about him during pre-season, has he been injured or what?
Had been playing seniors in the WRFL, and doing quite well from all reports. Pretty sure he got back into the Jets team for the game against Dandenong last week. Not sure if he played yesterday.

they had what would be considered a very successful season back in 2007 when they won 7 or 8 in a row which was I believe a club record.
But choked when it mattered most. Lost the last game of the season against Murray, in the process lost the double chance and slipped to 5th, then got knocked out the following week by the 8th team.

Depends what the criteria is I guess as to whether someone is successful. I agree Neeld did a decent job in that 2008 season, and Hocking did well in his one year there. But nobody has been able to get the Jets to win a final, and everybody who has tried in the last decade has been unable to create draft bonanza for the Jets either. Tudor, Hocking and Neeld are all at AFL clubs now, and are well respected assistant coaches. So maybe there are outside influences which are a problem.

Jets had another disappointing loss yesterday to GWS..... the question just begs as to when this team will get there head into gear and start winning some games they have a bye this week, hopefully some players can go back to local level and get some confidence and come out and beat Sandringham in 2 weeks time...... Good to see Gray get some form back heard he was very easily the best player and had quite a bit of the ball, also heard Dorgan had his best game for the club good to see a bottom age player standing up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the game against gws on Saturday. Forwards went reasonably well but as the delivery deteriorated so did they. No real surprise. The midfield seemed to be a lot of the problem. Jets took more marks than gws by making space but it seemed they were just not prepared to push hard enough afterwards. gws basically were more determined and won in the hard ball department and in getting numbers to the contest.

As a Gws spectator I am not being critical at all because they had a go. Reading the comments above and seeing the performance suggests there may be a linkage in those things, not prepared to die for it. As a fellow struggling club I sincerely wish you good luck for the rest of 2010.

Saw the game against gws on Saturday. Forwards went reasonably well but as the delivery deteriorated so did they. No real surprise. The midfield seemed to be a lot of the problem. Jets took more marks than gws by making space but it seemed they were just not prepared to push hard enough afterwards. gws basically were more determined and won in the hard ball department and in getting numbers to the contest.

As a Gws spectator I am not being critical at all because they had a go. Reading the comments above and seeing the performance suggests there may be a linkage in those things, not prepared to die for it. As a fellow struggling club I sincerely wish you good luck for the rest of 2010.
How do you think Sam Matryn went for GWS?

Just wondering what has happened to Jake Allan, heard alot of talk about him during pre-season, has he been injured or what?
Jake had a great game in one of the practice matches at Victoria Park, but dropped off in a big way. Not hard enough at the ball or man. Might be confidence. Tends to put his arm out to tackle and doesn't get his body in, so he's just brushed off. Pity, cos he is a skillful player. But here, skill on it's own is far from enough.

Yes, it becomes aparent as the games go on that the midfield depth that their game plan relies on isn't there. Way to many pointless midfield rotations that have no value.

Looks like the bare minimum standard is what the boys are producing on the training track. Turn up, go through the motions and hope you get picked. Expect changes this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back