2011/12 A-League Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Table

1. Adelaide United- I hate to admit it but they have quality and depth all over the park, they should be able to handle all but the worse injury crisis and should have enough stregnth to finish on top after the regular season.
2. Melbourne Victory- I'd like to think we are good enough for top 2 but im still unsure about our defence. The fire power we have up front though is drool worthy :thumbsu:
3. Central Coast Mariners- Always seem to be there abouts every season and they havent really lost anyone besides Perez and Doig. Musialik and Pellegrino are good replacements and with Amini and Ibini developing they should have a solid consistant season.
4. Brisbane Roar- Not disputing Ange's coaching ability and im sure he'll prove me wrong :p but the amount of quality they have lost is huge. His recruits will make or break their season. Expect James Meyer and Bratten to start to become more regular players in the team.
5. Melbourne Heart- Much more youthful side with more all round depth up front now. As long as their defence holds up they should do well. They will be a very exciting side on the counter.
6. Sydney FC- Without Emerton is their side really that good on paper? They have the worst GK's in the league and they really need to be more attacking this season.
7. Perth Glory- Probably could finish as high as 5th and it wouldnt shock me with the side he has if Fergie does a bit of a Ange and proves the doubters wrong but history suggests they wont be successful. At home they will be very hard to beat and that along might push them into finals but they are generally crap away from Perth.
8. Gold Coast- The darkhorse of the a-league this season. Expect the unexpected with this group. They have lost some very good players but at the same time have recruited some solid players from good leagues in Europe. I actually hope they do well and give the top 6 a real shake. This team on paper does have the potential to crash and burn though...
9. Wellington Phoenix- Home form along will make them avoid the wooden spoon. Unfortunately i can see some North Queensland like performances away from home especially with some of the depth they have in the squad.
10. Newcastle- Besides R Griffiths where will the goals come from. Payne and Jesic both havent developed enough yet to be 10 goal a season strikers. The team really needs Griffths, Kanta, Wehrman, NTS and Tiago to carry this side. It is a solid spine and i hope they do well especially with the record membership they now have but the departures of the Culina's have casted a dark cloud over the Jets' season. I hope to be proven wrong ;)

And my other predictions

Minor premiers: Adelaide
Champions: Melbourne Victory (hopefully an away game too :D)
Top scorer: Shane Smeltz or maybe Cazarine
Best Transfer: Vidosic
Biggest flop (Team): Sydney
Biggest flop (Player): Jamie Coyne or Culina :D probably that Canadian guy for Roar only due to the fact that i havent heard much about him since hes signed. More than likely injuries will play a huge part in the flops though.
Goal of the Year: Pellegrino
Johnny Warren Medal: Broich
Best Young Footballer (U/21): Rojas :thumbsu: or i hope Ibini gets it.

1. Melbourne Heart
2. Sydney FC
3. Melbourne Victory
4. Brisbane Lions
5. Adelaide
6. Central Coasters
7. Adelaide
8. Gold Coast United
9. Wellington Phoenix
10. Newcastle Jets

Minor premiers: Melbourne Heart
Champions: Melbourne Heart
Top scorer: Robbie Cornthwaite
Biggest flop (Team): Newcastle Jets
Biggest flop (Player): Kewell

Just did my final edit here it is

League Table
1. Victory
2. Adelaide
3. Perth
4. Roar
5. Sydney
6. CCM
7. Newcastle
8. Heart
9. Phoenix
10. GCU

Minor premiers: Victory
Champions: Victory
Top scorer: Thompson
Best Transfer: Rojas
Biggest flop (Team): Roar
Biggest flop (Player): Vidosic
Goal of the Year: Herandez
Johnny Warren Medal:Kewell
Best Young Footballer (U/21) - Rojas

League Table
1. Brisbane Roar Close
2. Central Coast Mariners Close
3. Perth Glory Correct
4. Melbourne Heart Close
5. Sydney FC Close
6. Adelaide United
7. Wellington Phoenix
8. Melbourne Victory Correct
9. Gold Coast United Close
10. Newcastle Jets

Minor premiers: Brisbane Roar Close
Champions: Brisbane Roar ?
Top scorer: Shane Smeltz Second
Best Transfer:Liam Miller Been good, Injury has hurt him though.
Biggest flop (Team): Melbourne Victory Has anyone been a bigger flop? Maybe Adelaide...
Biggest flop (Player): Jean Carlos Solorzano Thoughts...?
Goal of the Year: Carlos Hernandez Has 3-4 nomintions
Johnny Warren Medal: Erik Paartalu Was going well, but has really faded this season.
Best Young Footballer (U/21): Mustafa Amini Has a nomintion
Looking back...

League Table
1. Victory Fell for the hype
2. Adelaide Good team on paper who underperformed horribly
3. Brisbane Close to where I thought they would be
4. Central Coast Always do better than I predict
5. Perth Pleasantly surprised to see us finish higher
6. Sydney Pretty much spot on
7. Heart Did better than I thought they would
8. Gold Coast If not for Palmer they probably would have finished around 8th
9. Newcastle GVE getting them higher than their squad suggests
10. Wellington Horrible prediction, Supercoach Herbert dogin wonders again

Champions: Adelaide LOL
Golden Boot: Shane Smeltz (15) Will come second with 13
Best Signing: Liam Miller Would have to be in the top few signings
Biggest flop (Team): Wellington ROFL
Biggest flop (Player): Jamie Coyne Was never in doubt, although Durakovic woud be considered a flop I reckon as a coach
Goal of the Year: If it is anything like last season it won't be the most deserving goal...Nicky Carle as Sydney need some sort of recognition from the FFA, actual best goal will be Pellegrino Yet to be decided
Johnny Warren Medal: Brett Emerton Won't win it but had a good season
Best Young Footballer (U/21): Mustafa Amini Injury kept him out of the team for too long to have an impact

As always some shocking predictions but I think I did alright.

League Table
1. Adelaide United WAY OFF
2. Brisbane Roar CORRECT
3. Melbourne Victory WAY OFF
4. Central Coast Mariners KIND OF NEAR
5. Melbourne Heart NEAR
6. Perth Glory GLADLY OFF
7. Sydney FC WOULD'VE BEEN RIGHT IF THE JETS COULD DEFEND
8. Gold Coast United WAY OFF
9. Wellington Phoenix WAY OFF
10. Newcastle Jets WAY OFF

Minor premiers: Adelaide Untied LOL
Champions: Adelaide United ROFLOLMAOASKLJASA!!
Top scorer: Who ever can get in to double figures. RIGHT I GUESS
Best Transfer: Andrezinho YEAH NAH
Biggest flop (Team): Newcastle Jets NO WAY
Biggest flop (Player): Fred KIND OF BUT HAD INJURES
Goal of the Year: That Brazilian guy from Heart who isn't fred. DID HE EVEN SCORE THIS SEASON?
Johnny Warren Medal: Harry Kewell/Brett Emerton (they'll make sure of it at FFA HQ) BOTH STILL COULD
Best Young Footballer (U/21): Anyone that can run and dodge a tackle. KIND OF RIGHT

It's another season where luck with injuries and having young players that can run will get you a long way. The Roar's structure will hold up again even with the loss of 'The Australian Messi (Copyright:Rangers fans)' and other players. United have recruited brilliantly but can Rini get it all together? Heart are an unknown, Victory will be there abouts but can they do it? Sydney won't get near the title but will be competitive at least. Mariners will be an interesting one. I kind of hope it was a one off fluke for Graham Arnold and he's sacked mid-season and it cast out of coaching in this country...one can dream although he'd probably take over at Glory knowing our luck.

God damn you United. Why did Coolen have to stink.

League Table
1. Brisbane Roar - CLOSE
2. Adelaide United - SO WRONG
3. Melbourne Victory - SO WRONG
4. Central Coast Mariners - UNDERESTIMATED THEM AGAIN
5. Melbourne Heart - CLOSE
6. Sydney FC - CLOSE
7. Wellington Phoenix - WRONG
8. Perth Glory - VERY WRONG
9. Gold Coast United - CLOSE
10. Newcastle Jets - WRONG
-​

Minor premiers: Brisbane - They weren't far off
Champions: Adelaide - Oh so wrong, was blinded by names.
Top scorer: Van Dijk - No idea how many he scored
Best Transfer: Rijters (shame the rest of the team is sh1t) - Horribly wrong
Biggest flop (Team): Sydney They weren't as good as they should have been but Victory easily bet them as the biggest flop.
Biggest flop (Player): Jamie Coyne - would be close
Goal of the Year: David Williams - That penalty he took was an absolute gem!
Johnny Warren Medal: Kewell or Broich - Maybe Broich?
Best Young Footballer (U/21): Kantarovski - Very unlikely

Yep I have no idea.

League Table:

1. MVFC I admit, my bias cost me on this one.
2. Adelaide Don't know what happened there.
3. Brisbane Pretty Close
4. Perth Glory Not far off
5. Newcastle Jets Thought they would do better with their loyal support base
6. CC Mariners Honestly though Arnie was a spud. Turns out Mem was.
7. GCU Would have done better if not for fat clive.
8. Melbourne Heart Overachieved IMO.
9. Sydney FC Again, my bias letting me down :(
10. Wellington Phoenix Herbert is a legend - nuff said.

Jeez, it is a hard league to pick. Literally no s**t teams.

Goal of the year: Kewell
Flop of the year: Heart's Brazillian duds
Surprise Team: Adelaide (have actually gotten stronger since Flores' departure)
Top Scorer: Archie Thompson
Johnny Warren: Marco Rojas
Best Transfer: Marco Rojas

I guess you could say I got Surprise team of the season correct (surprisingly bad that is :)

Kewell has a few contenders in there for goal of the season. Marco Rojas let me down immensely :(

Table

1. Adelaide United- I hate to admit it but they have quality and depth all over the park, they should be able to handle all but the worse injury crisis and should have enough stregnth to finish on top after the regular season.
Wow how wrong i was :eek:
2. Melbourne Victory- I'd like to think we are good enough for top 2 but im still unsure about our defence. The fire power we have up front though is drool worthy :thumbsu:
On paper everyone always thought the front 3rd would click but it didnt.
At least i was right about our horrible defence.

3. Central Coast Mariners- Always seem to be there abouts every season and they havent really lost anyone besides Perez and Doig. Musialik and Pellegrino are good replacements and with Amini and Ibini developing they should have a solid consistant season.
Fairly accurate although they did perform a little better than i expected.
4. Brisbane Roar- Not disputing Ange's coaching ability and im sure he'll prove me wrong :p but the amount of quality they have lost is huge. His recruits will make or break their season. Expect James Meyer and Bratten to start to become more regular players in the team.
Meyer and Bratten didn't play that much but Berisha was a huge reason why they finished top 2. What a replacement for JCS.
5. Melbourne Heart- Much more youthful side with more all round depth up front now. As long as their defence holds up they should do well. They will be a very exciting side on the counter.
I was right in terms of position and youth.
6. Sydney FC- Without Emerton is their side really that good on paper? They have the worst GK's in the league and they really need to be more attacking this season.
Right again. They really need better strikers next season.
7. Perth Glory- Probably could finish as high as 5th and it wouldnt shock me with the side he has if Fergie does a bit of a Ange and proves the doubters wrong but history suggests they wont be successful. At home they will be very hard to beat and that along might push them into finals but they are generally crap away from Perth.
Kinda right with home form etc but their final position probably says more about how crap everyone else this year.
8. Gold Coast- The darkhorse of the a-league this season. Expect the unexpected with this group. They have lost some very good players but at the same time have recruited some solid players from good leagues in Europe. I actually hope they do well and give the top 6 a real shake. This team on paper does have the potential to crash and burn though...
They didnt exactly crash and burn (on the field i mean) but they were extremely unlucky.
9. Wellington Phoenix- Home form along will make them avoid the wooden spoon. Unfortunately i can see some North Queensland like performances away from home especially with some of the depth they have in the squad.
Ricki Herbert should get coach of the year with what he has done considering how interupted his pre-season was. Top 4 finish is remarkable!
10. Newcastle- Besides R Griffiths where will the goals come from. Payne and Jesic both havent developed enough yet to be 10 goal a season strikers. The team really needs Griffths, Kanta, Wehrman, NTS and Tiago to carry this side. It is a solid spine and i hope they do well especially with the record membership they now have but the departures of the Culina's have casted a dark cloud over the Jets' season. I hope to be proven wrong ;)
Besides Brockie and Griffiths they stuggled a bit for goals. They really need a good play-maker for next year. Great effort by GVE to have them within a strong chance of making finals until the last game.

Some of the predictions in this thread are hilarious. And I know its easy fro me, as I wasn't a part of this board at the time, but I am confident in saying I wouldn't have had Melbourne Victory or Adelaide anywhere near the top flight.

Victory looked like a disaster hopefully about to happen once they signed Kewell.

I'll make sure I have predictions in place in time for next season so you can have a go at me then.

I'm so looking forward to Kevin Keegan taking over at Victory next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back