2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread IIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread III

Has been linked to a few clubs including the GC and Adelaide.

It stuns me that we are offering him around, all the good work finding a kid out of no where and he is on the trade table after a year. May as well have the recruiters staying in Melbourne watching TAC if we are not going to make us of their hard work !

Do not usually quote myself but in this case i simply have to...

yes...that information could be somewhat helpful when pumping up one's own tyres.

....i'm guessing Jenkins???

Yes but at least i did not revive the thread :)

Where would Jenkins fit in the current best 22?
it's a fair question for most of the jenkins angst, but I don't think it's relevant to the point ant555 is making (made?). which is, imo, why go to the trouble of scouting this guy, taking him first round of the rookie draft and then letting him walk a year later because you don't want to offer him a senior spot. particularly when you're keeping dyson, lonergan and to a lesser extent slatery on the list (henry is "lesser" because he was contracted, but still, we couldnt find cap room to cut him free?).

he's gone because we didn't want to promote him, but it's pretty hard to understand why in hindsight. my memory of the reports from that vfl season was that he was pretty decent, often playing in the ruck but kicked a bag or two. he was something of a project, that actually showed some talent, and we let him go because....progressed too fast? obviously we got a decent return, but when I break it down to Lonergan v Jenkins, "it stuns me" comes to mind

it's a fair question for most of the jenkins angst, but I don't think it's relevant to the point ant555 is making (made?). which is, imo, why go to the trouble of scouting this guy, taking him first round of the rookie draft and then letting him walk a year later because you don't want to offer him a senior spot. particularly when you're keeping dyson, lonergan and to a lesser extent slatery on the list (henry is "lesser" because he was contracted, but still, we couldnt find cap room to cut him free?).

he's gone because we didn't want to promote him, but it's pretty hard to understand why in hindsight. my memory of the reports from that vfl season was that he was pretty decent, often playing in the ruck but kicked a bag or two. he was something of a project, that actually showed some talent, and we let him go because....progressed too fast? obviously we got a decent return, but when I break it down to Lonergan v Jenkins, "it stuns me" comes to mind

Adelaide offered him far greater opportunity than we could have. Even if we'd delisted one of the cloggers for him, he was never going to get a crack with Ryder and TBC miles ahead of him.

Phone and Ant555 are 100% correct. You don't give up project players after one year.

So we made a mistake? Big deal - considering the number of wins we've had in recruitment this last 5 or so years, I'm happy to wear it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide offered him far greater opportunity than we could have. Even if we'd delisted one of the cloggers for him, he was never going to get a crack with Ryder and TBC miles ahead of him.

But i know for a fact he would have stayed if we gave him a spot on the senior list. That is all he wanted, money or anything else was not an issue. We
thought no one would be looking and did not leave a spot for him and the Crows pounced. It was a poor list management decision regardless of the 2 rucks being in front of him and it was a pineapple for the blokes who found him under a rock no one was looking under.
He was a better long term list prospect than several that where kept on the list.

There was also the issue that the guys at the club didn't really rate him. I know for a fact that his first year at Adelaide absolutely astounded them.

Anyway it's a futile discussion. Jackson Merrett is going to be a 10 year player for us, and I'd much rather Daniher and Carlisle than Jenkins.

There was also the issue that the guys at the club didn't really rate him. I know for a fact that his first year at Adelaide absolutely astounded them.

Anyway it's a futile discussion. Jackson Merrett is going to be a 10 year player for us, and I'd much rather Daniher and Carlisle than Jenkins.

We have lost even if we look at a straight comparison between merrett and jenkins. I suspect that Jenkins will be a better player.

Merrett will be as good as Jenkins. Let's face it; it's a win-win trade. We get our Stanton replacement and they get their Tippett replacement.

Merrett will be as good as Jenkins. Let's face it; it's a win-win trade. We get our Stanton replacement and they get their Tippett replacement.

Need another 2 years to make a definitive judgement - Revisit in 2016.

Jenkins dont grow on trees, Merretts do
DrGPoSq.jpg

Is it a given that Jenkins would've hung around or is there a chance he'd have walked out on us? Because there's every chance he looked at T-Bell and Ryder and thought opportunities would be more limited at Essendon. Just that people are talking like we forced him out for the ability to get that pick upgrade, rather than accepted a pick upgrade over nothing at all.

Is it a given that Jenkins would've hung around or is there a chance he'd have walked out on us? Because there's every chance he looked at T-Bell and Ryder and thought opportunities would be more limited at Essendon. Just that people are talking like we forced him out for the ability to get that pick upgrade, rather than accepted a pick upgrade over nothing at all.

Adelaide offered him a senior list spot, we couldn't because we re-signed Sam Lonergan or Hank Slattery or someone else from memory, so it's not really Merrett v Jenkins because I highly doubt the deal was done with drafting Jackson specifically in mind.

Ideal world we'd have both, but it wasn't to be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back