Opinion 2011 Revisited - Did we get found out? ... and other musings

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't do much about players getting injuries but selection is another matter entirely. How about if we just didn't play unfit players like MM always said he did. Could well have cost us 2 flags (2002 and 2011).

Who was injured in 2002?

You can't do much about players getting injuries but selection is another matter entirely. How about if we just didn't play unfit players like MM always said he did. Could well have cost us 2 flags (2002 and 2011).
Agreed. I think one of the issues in 2011 was we didn't plumb our depths, just kept playing the top 22 or so. Not that we had great depth in that list. Wood was a non-option.

We lost the 2011 premiership because of the distraction caused by the succession plan. It was a miracle that we even made the grand final after Geelong smashed us in the last round.

We lost the 2011 premiership because of the distraction caused by the succession plan. It was a miracle that we even made the grand final after Geelong smashed us in the last round.

That loss ended any chance of we had at the Flag.

The Invincibility we had up to then was gone when the Cats made us look 2nd Rate

That loss ended any chance of we had at the Flag.

The Invincibility we had up to then was gone when the Cats made us look 2nd Rate

The bubble was well and truly burst. I watched the end of the Hawthorn PF the other day. After that game the players had almost nothing left.

I still think if we kept Davis and had better luck with injury we could have won it in 2012

I still think if we kept Davis and had better luck with injury we could have won it in 2012

That game against Freo in round 21 was just about the best game I have seen anyone play. How we did not move heaven and earth to retain him is bewildering.

The bubble was well and truly burst. I watched the end of the Hawthorn PF the other day. After that game the players had almost nothing left.
Not enough respect is given to this game IMO. As hard as any game I have ever seen both physically and mentally. 2011 team should be given credit for this win, not simply judged on the loss the following week.

Not enough respect is given to this game IMO. As hard as any game I have ever seen both physically and mentally. 2011 team should be given credit for this win, not simply judged on the loss the following week.

I will never forget Mick's reaction in the box. That team really was his.

That game against Freo in round 21 was just about the best game I have seen anyone play. How we did not move heaven and earth to retain him is bewildering.

His age would be one and it was only for 1 Season.

Also his Manager Liam Pickering was Prick dealing with us that off-season

I agree with the poster who effectively said Geelong had us sussed out all season

I was in the Ponsford stand for the early season game where we were robbed when the Peddles goal wasn't allowed. I remember thinking in the first half that Geelong were using the press against us the way we had strangled everyone else the previous year. The ball was trapped in their forward line and they had shot after shot. Their lack of accuracy allowed us to stay in the game. It was really a extraordinary effort from a couple of individuals in particular that got us close in the end. We actually looked a class below them most of the game.

Personally, I think that injuries were the major downfall in the final. At the last training before the game, I didn't think that Jolly an Reid looked right. Maybe I was seeing things which weren't there but comparing their demeanour to that of Wood and Keeffe, I was convinced that they would be the last minute replacements. Jolly and Reid looked pretty unhappy with the world but Keeffe and Wood seemed pretty happy and running on top of the ground.

On the day, from just behind Joffa under the Ponsford stand we could clearly seeing Reid struggle to run and Dids looking like a decoy. The crowd called the moves but the line to the coaches box wasn't working. The 'Pod going down should have been the end of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game was epic, clearly the best game of the year and most fiercly contested, that was on the back of the WC final which was right up there to as one of the great games of the year. No wonder we fell away in the grand final late in the 3rd qtr, running on empty with injuries on top of that.

Honestly not sure why it matters in 2015. May as well talk about why we lost in 01 and 02.
Games, particularly the big ones, shape the psyche of the players/team in the future. Time reduces that shaping. 2001/2 are irrelevant to that shaping, 2011 only rapidly becoming so. In any case it is a supporters joy to agonise/celebrate the win/losses of the past. Do you wish to take that from us?

Games, particularly the big ones, shape the psyche of the players/team in the future. Time reduces that shaping. 2001/2 are irrelevant to that shaping, 2011 only rapidly becoming so. In any case it is a supporters joy to agonise/celebrate the win/losses of the past. Do you wish to take that from us?

I donno, feel it has been done to death on this board over the last 12 months. I guess Ill just ignore this thread and go on my way.

I agree with the poster who effectively said Geelong had us sussed out all season

I was in the Ponsford stand for the early season game where we were robbed when the Peddles goal wasn't allowed. I remember thinking in the first half that Geelong were using the press against us the way we had strangled everyone else the previous year. The ball was trapped in their forward line and they had shot after shot. Their lack of accuracy allowed us to stay in the game. It was really a extraordinary effort from a couple of individuals in particular that got us close in the end. We actually looked a class below them most of the game.

Personally, I think that injuries were the major downfall in the final. At the last training before the game, I didn't think that Jolly an Reid looked right. Maybe I was seeing things which weren't there but comparing their demeanour to that of Wood and Keeffe, I was convinced that they would be the last minute replacements. Jolly and Reid looked pretty unhappy with the world but Keeffe and Wood seemed pretty happy and running on top of the ground.

On the day, from just behind Joffa under the Ponsford stand we could clearly seeing Reid struggle to run and Dids looking like a decoy. The crowd called the moves but the line to the coaches box wasn't working. The 'Pod going down should have been the end of them.

Showing how bad the game was Coached

I donno, feel it has been done to death on this board over the last 12 months. I guess Ill just ignore this thread and go on my way.
Well the talk of the 02 loss happens monthly on here

That was something strikingly different between 2010 and 2011. In 2010 Presti was lauded for being honest about his fitness, and MM took a bit of a gamble, in choosing the younger Brown - who played well in both games.

In 2011, Reid was limping into the final, and then got hurt again on the day, only to be kept on Hawkins even after Pods went off (can't remember who Taz was defending at that stage) and was smashed by Hawkins.
You can make an excuse for playing Reid in the first place, because we didn't have an option like N.Brown ready to come in.
But after Pods got subbed off, and the Cats changed to a smaller, quicker forward line, and Hawkins quickly gained confidence over an injured Reid, there was no excuse for not moving Taz onto him. (their only other rotating bigs were Ottens and West who didn't have a shot on goal between them)... to this day I can't fathom why that rotation didn't happen.

That was something strikingly different between 2010 and 2011. In 2010 Presti was lauded for being honest about his fitness, and MM took a bit of a gamble, in choosing the younger Brown - who played well in both games.

In 2011, Reid was limping into the final, and then got hurt again on the day, only to be kept on Hawkins even after Pods went off (can't remember who Taz was defending at that stage) and was smashed by Hawkins.
You can make an excuse for playing Reid in the first place, because we didn't have an option like N.Brown ready to come in.
But after Pods got subbed off, and the Cats changed to a smaller, quicker forward line, and Hawkins quickly gained confidence over an injured Reid, there was no excuse for not moving Taz onto him. (their only other rotating bigs were Ottens and West who didn't have a shot on goal between them)... to this day I can't fathom why that rotation didn't happen.

MM was to Stubborn to change his game plan and that was normally his biggest Weakness as Coach

Disagree.
Only 1 team beat us all year. We were in a winning position in the GF. We had Tarrant as an option for the dominant forward on the ground but we left a lame Reid on him.

We also never had our best 22 play Geelong that year...

Round 17 - limped over the line against carlton by 19 points. Controlled the game but never put them away. That was the start of the decline
Rd 18 - Easy kill over a young Gold Coast
Rd 19 - Smash Essendon after being down around 50 points at 1 point. More warning signs
Rd 20 - Smashed a rubbish Port Adelaide side
Rd 21 - Limped over the line by 19 points over St.Kilda who were cooked by then
Rd 22 - Beat a rubbish Brisbane by 18 points. This was when I thought we were in some trouble. Brisbane were seriously s**t.
Rd 23 - Good win against a very undermanned Freo. Gave some hope back. Proven to be a blimp on the radar
Rd 24 - Smashed by Geelong by nearly 100 points. That was just a massive pummelling.
QF - Just sneaked past an average West Coast team we smacked earlier in the year.
PF - Won but weren't the best team on the day. Kicked 5 goals up to 3/4 time. Huge last quarters from Swanny & Travis got us over the line
GF - Thoroughly beaten by the best team of the year

The final series results and lead up to the finals were chalk and cheese from 2010. Our issues starting quite a few weeks out from the finals. No enough people willing to give up the 'Me' for the 'We'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back