2012 afl draft which club came out the best ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doggies clearly ahead at this stage due to sheer number of players that have debuted. Stringer looks like a darling style forward and has size and mongrel which is a must in modern footy. Macrae is class, looks very composed and has an aura of time slow around him would make an excellent outside mid to compliment your glut of insides in wallis, libba, smith, Stevens, etc. Hrovat has been impressive with his awareness and attack at the ball but will he displace the previously mentioned inside mids? That's not including griff, Boyd, cooney etc. Hunter I don't know much about admittedly but so far it looks like this may have been the draft that sets up the doggies for the next 10 years ala Geelong a few years ago.

Personally can't wait to see what o'rourke brings as he is a different type of midfielder and may be that missing link for us! Whitfield has impressed and is that outside player that compliments our own glut of insiders. Plowman and corr have been solid as first year KPD and jaksch cannhopefully play as a Adam hunter style swingman. Stewart is still raw so won't pass any opinion on him yet.

Doggies clearly ahead at this stage due to sheer number of players that have debuted. Stringer looks like a darling style forward and has size and mongrel which is a must in modern footy. Macrae is class, looks very composed and has an aura of time slow around him would make an excellent outside mid to compliment your glut of insides in wallis, libba, smith, Stevens, etc. Hrovat has been impressive with his awareness and attack at the ball but will he displace the previously mentioned inside mids? That's not including griff, Boyd, cooney etc. Hunter I don't know much about admittedly but so far it looks like this may have been the draft that sets up the doggies for the next 10 years ala Geelong a few years ago.

Personally can't wait to see what o'rourke brings as he is a different type of midfielder and may be that missing link for us! Whitfield has impressed and is that outside player that compliments our own glut of insiders. Plowman and corr have been solid as first year KPD and jaksch cannhopefully play as a Adam hunter style swingman. Stewart is still raw so won't pass any opinion on him yet.

Every player we picked in this draft has debuted.

Toumpas #4
Viney #26
Kent #48
M. Jones #52
Terlich #68

Both our rookie upgrades have played as well ;)

Essendon may not do the best from this draft, but there is no way in hell I would give up Daniher for any other player from this draft.

Melbourne have Viney and Toumpas they will become excellent players when Melbourne sort themselves out
Dogs have Macrae and Stringer both look set for long careers
Port have Wines looks a ripper
Richmond also have a ripper in Vlastuin

I just wish Essendon could have got their hands on Menzel.

Won't get a true gauge for a while yet. Some of these kids are being gifted games at some teams while others will have to wait quite a while.
Case in point mentioned on another thread went along to Coburg Sandy early in the year which Coburg won easily. Looking at both teams first year players, a midfield including Vlastuin(now starring at AFL) and Williams(rookie) smashed Sandys. McIntosh had the better of Lee, McDonough all over the place and Mcbean kicking four or five from memory. Only player at Sandy I was impressed with was White, Wright OK but the rest meh. But here we are, all those draftees at Sandy have played with St.Kilda(except White), where as Vlastuin at the moment looks like the only draftee who will play at Richmond this year.......

I think the dogs are the obvious candidates here, at least in absolute terms. Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat have all been very impressive while Hunter and Prudden have done very well in the reserved. Goodes has been the standout amongst rookie picks, though he does turn it over a bit.

Collingwood's drafting has been very good too, especially when you consider the picks they had. Kennedy is looking really good, Grundy hasn't played yet but we all know he is a gun. Dwyer is the closest to Goodes in terms of stand out players from the rookie draft.

Also, with all the negativity surrounding Melbourne, people haven't noticed that whilst their trade recruits have bombed, their draft picks have looked quite good this year. All of them have impressed at some point except Toumpas. I'm not too worried about that though, he is the best of the bunch and he'll show his class eventually.

I think the dogs are the obvious candidates here, at least in absolute terms. Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat have all been very impressive while Hunter and Prudden have done very well in the reserved. Goodes has been the standout amongst rookie picks, though he does turn it over a bit.

Collingwood's drafting has been very good too, especially when you consider the picks they had. Kennedy is looking really good, Grundy hasn't played yet but we all know he is a gun. Dwyer is the closest to Goodes in terms of stand out players from the rookie draft.

Also, with all the negativity surrounding Melbourne, people haven't noticed that whilst their trade recruits have bombed, their draft picks have looked quite good this year. All of them have impressed at some point except Toumpas. I'm not too worried about that though, he is the best of the bunch and he'll show his class eventually.

What people don't realise is that our trade recruits weren't brought in to 'improve us' - we lost just over 1000 games of experience at the end of last season (through tough decisions by the coach and other reasons) and we brought in just under 400, the guys we brought in bar Dawes and Pedersen were guys we thought would be stop-gaps; guys like Rodan, Gillies and even Byrnes (who's best 22) aren't long term solutions to our troubles and Neeld knew that.

Not sure why this thread too so long. Surely during or immediately after the draft was the time to make a conclusive assessment on how well everyone did?

My objective analysis is North smashed this draft. I couldn't believe every one of the players we got slid to the picks they did. All phantom drafts (unreferenced) had the players we picked as first round selections so we got to make some absolute steals, 6 of them in a row in fact.

Our recruiters rated the 6 guys we got as their ideal 1-6 in the draft so it's fair to say that the club was overflowing in euphoric solution.

Fast forward to June 2013 and my jaw still drops and shatters at how we managed to recruit these players, why other clubs didn't pick them and how amazing the power of positive thinking and The Secret (TM) was at draft time.

Early days but Collingwood looked like they have had a real stellar draft, and especially since they had to use the rookie draft, and pick 20 as their first pick. All these players look like guns

Tim Broomhead (Pick 20)
Sam Dwyer (Rookie)
Kyle Martin (rookie)
Marley Williams (Rookie Promoted)

The Lions got Sam Mayes (Elite kick) and a promising tall in Paparone to make a pretty good draft, but I feel the addition of Moloney made the Lions look passed getting some onballers which was a little disappointing

Collingwood seems to have a higher success rate with Rookies over most team. Anyone have a statistic for this?

Vlastuin is looking the goods - not sure how he slipped to 9 but certainly happy to have him :thumbsu:

McBean has been killing it in the VFL for a skinny rake. Could be a player in a few years

yeah great pick and came after wines and Mayes...I think Port, Lions, and the Tigers made some solid picks. I would be happy to have any 3 of those players at the Lions. We got the Elite Kick in Mayes, so next draft we need a hard at it mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early days but Collingwood looked like they have had a real stellar draft, and especially since they had to use the rookie draft, and pick 20 as their first pick. All these players look like guns

Tim Broomhead (Pick 20)
Sam Dwyer (Rookie)
Kyle Martin (rookie)
Marley Williams (Rookie Promoted)

May have missed Collingwood having picks 18 and 19 too, which they picked up Grundy and Kennedy. Both were highly rated before the draft and even though i love Vlastuin i cannot believe Grundy slipped so far.

The Lions got Sam Mayes (Elite kick) and a promising tall in Paparone to make a pretty good draft, but I feel the addition of Moloney made the Lions look passed getting some onballers which was a little disappointing

They both look pretty good so far.

Has the club said where they see Paparone's long term best position?

Not sure why this thread too so long. Surely during or immediately after the draft was the time to make a conclusive assessment on how well everyone did?

My objective analysis is North smashed this draft. I couldn't believe every one of the players we got slid to the picks they did. All phantom drafts (unreferenced) had the players we picked as first round selections so we got to make some absolute steals, 6 of them in a row in fact.

Our recruiters rated the 6 guys we got as their ideal 1-6 in the draft so it's fair to say that the club was overflowing in euphoric solution.

Fast forward to June 2013 and my jaw still drops and shatters at how we managed to recruit these players, why other clubs didn't pick them and how amazing the power of positive thinking and The Secret (TM) was at draft time.

This was the best reply in this thread, go Kangas!

These threads are great to look back on in a few years time, cause some players jump out of the gun, but dissapear into the wilderness ala Mark McGough, others take a long time to hit their straps, than go past many highly rated players in the draft, think Watson/Swan, and the reality is that many top ten draft picks fail, and I could give you a heap of examples. And there is also the reality that some players who weren't standouts in there prospective drafts WOW everyone immediately even in the reserves, and have people drooling at what an amazing prospect they'll be and what a great career they'll have, right from the get-go; think Scott Pendlebury.

But it is good fun though, and yes, you do get a slightly better gauge as to where the players will be at at this stage, if clubs could have a cristal ball 6 months into the careers it would be worth 10 mil minimum, i'm sure if Melbourne had this in 2009 they'd go back in time and not go near Jack Watts and pick NicNat instead, that said, the quoted post is still spot on in a sarcastic sense.

By the way, Josh Thomas will be the Sam Mitchel/Jobe Watson of the 2009 draft! Score...

Won't get a true gauge for a while yet. Some of these kids are being gifted games at some teams while others will have to wait quite a while.
Case in point mentioned on another thread went along to Coburg Sandy early in the year which Coburg won easily. Looking at both teams first year players, a midfield including Vlastuin(now starring at AFL) and Williams(rookie) smashed Sandys. McIntosh had the better of Lee, McDonough all over the place and Mcbean kicking four or five from memory. Only player at Sandy I was impressed with was White, Wright OK but the rest meh. But here we are, all those draftees at Sandy have played with St.Kilda(except White), where as Vlastuin at the moment looks like the only draftee who will play at Richmond this year.......

Good to hear McIntosh did well that game. Was doing really well at WAFL level last year and our 2 televised games we've been spanked so playing backline hasn't been much fun for him. Did a decent tag job on John Baird though. McBean is an absolute beauty. Is gaining weight which was his one issue when he came. McDonough would have been pushing selection based on really earning it while Williams showed a lot before another shoulder injury so he's out for the year. :( Looks promising but pretty sure he had shoulder problems in juniors.

yeah great pick and came after wines and Mayes...I think Port, Lions, and the Tigers made some solid picks. I would be happy to have any 3 of those players at the Lions. We got the Elite Kick in Mayes, so next draft we need a hard at it mid

Agreed mate - all 3 clubs would be happy with their picks.

Moloney has proven to be a good pick up for you guys. Think I read he was averaging over 20 disposals and 5 tackles (or clearances) a game which would be handy to have in the middle. Gives your next inside mid draftee time to develop as well given Moloney should be able to go around for a few years yet.

Look at the club that he went to... and you wonder why.

Very few Melbourne top picks have continued to develop and gone on with there pre draft talent.
He's played 3 games

Your the one saying he hasn't impressed....

I usually wait 3 years before making a comment either way even then some take longer.

He hasn't not impressed, just he hasn't shown any initial star power.

Plenty of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back