Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by Sin City, Jul 14, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. Jeremias

Jeremias Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    MUFC, LAL, PSG, Cameroon
    Isn't that just stating we'll have 2 nominated rookies, not 2 nominated rookies AND 2 extra open spots?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Stamos

Stamos All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    EP meant we can have 2 nominated rookies, not 2 NR + 2 more elevated to the senior list.
  3. I bleed Blue

I bleed Blue All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Yes. Thats how I read it anyway.
  4. etsal1

etsal1 Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    But with Andy Mac presumably on the long term injury list until at least May, does that mean we could possibly have Curnow & Bell (as nominated rookies) + Tippett (to make up Andy Mac's spot)?
  5. Big Sim

Big Sim All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    [​IMG]
  6. Azul

Azul All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I realise he's a cult hero on here but the same applies to Collins. If you're going to have 3 senior-capable players vying for 2 positions then one has to miss out. On top of that, it effectively spells curtains for Rhys O'Keeffe who will require two LTI to see any game time.

Anyway, expecting McInness' recovery to be delayed until round 9 so that a 3rd rookie can be elevated for the first 8 weeks.
  7. Jeremias

Jeremias Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    MUFC, LAL, PSG, Cameroon
    Forgot about Andy Mac :)(), yes his injury would allow a 3rd rookie to be elevated and eligible for senior selection from the beginning of season 2013.

It doesn't spell curtains for ROK because I don't believe you have to break into senior football to warrant elevation at the end of the year.

If he puts in a really good year at the lower level, and doesn't get cut down by injury, then he's put himself in contention for elevation.

Is there still a rule that you can elevate an extra rookie for the 2nd half of the season?

I'd rather put Collins on the rookie list than Joel Tippett. At least we know that Collins can play at senior level.

Tippett has already been delisted by 2 AFL clubs.
  8. HARKER

HARKER Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    If we weren't convinced of AC's powers before, then we should be now. An amazing man is our AC.
    Jeremias likes this.
  9. Keyza

Keyza Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    After reading through many posts i now have an understanding of how the rookie/nominated rookie lists work (i think).
    We have 38 senior players on our list, including 2 veterans. Previous years we would not be able to have any nominated rookie because of the 2 veterans. (am i right so far?).
    As the list sizes have been changed next season to 40 and 4 rookie clubs still have the choice of having 38 senior and 6 rookies. The advantage of this is that some of the rookie salaries are excluded from the salary cap.
    As we seem to have taken this path we will have 6 rookies and we can use 2 of these as nominated rookies. I am sure many clubs will go down this path if salary cap space is an issue. We have McInnes on the LTI list for the first couple of months so we can upgrade one more rookie and yes there is a rule that clubs can upgrade one rookie at the half way point of the season. Effectively we can have 3 rookies available for most of next year, or more if we get any more LTI (touch wood we dont).
  10. Wickzki

Wickzki Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Mount Buller Demons
    Won two VFL premierships at 0 and 1 years of age and another at 3.
  11. Azul

Azul All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I'm saying with Rhys, this will be his 5th year. So irrespective of how he terrific he performs at VFL level, if he isn't getting game time at senior level he won't be granted a 6th year. Having 3 players ahead of him just makes it doubly hard.

Yes I would take Collins ahead of Tippett Jr too. If Menzel's knee holds up I suspect they'll favour Troy ahead of Andy, so I just can't see Collins breaking into the 22 more than a handful of games - especially if he's waiting on an LTI and several injuries to onballers to gain selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Big Sim

Big Sim All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Depends on how Andy's audition with MM went, which is effectively what Arizona was for AC. I remember David Parkin during the year rating Andy as someone who could play at AFL level and I think most of us agree he is indeed capable of that. It is whether he can do it for all 4 quarters of a match on a weekly basis that is the issue.
  13. JS74

JS74 Senior List

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Am I wrong in saying we currently have 36 on the senior list and 4 on the rookie list?
    If this is the case do we not have 2 spots available on both the senior and rookie list?
  14. JS74

JS74 Senior List

Carlton
    Other teams:
    We currently have 38 on the senior list and 4 on the rookie list?
    This means we have the option to add 2 on the senior list or 2 on the rookie list. I guess the way we go all depends on the salary cap space we have.
  15. smashbox gill

smashbox gill Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Id rather just cut the losses with Andy Collins, hes never gonna make and be a permanent 22 member. So i would rather draft someone young who we can develope and may be a permanent 22 player ie) betts, garlett, bell, jamison
  16. blueboy25

blueboy25 Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    West Perth, Tottenham
    If Mick thinks Andy is worth another year and sees something in him then I am happy to back Mick's judgement. If not then happy to roll the dice in the rookie draft.
  17. BluesBagger

BluesBagger Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I find it odd that we're seriously considering tippet jr, call me cynical but i figured Adelaide (initially) and Sydney's 'interest' in him was more to entice his brother to sign.

and St Kilda... well they're desperate for a key defender
  18. Juddalenko

Juddalenko All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Detroit Lions
    I heard that due to the all encompassing omnipotence of the great Andrew Collins, the AFL has deemed Carlton need not use a list position to keep him.
  19. Omega Blue

Omega Blue Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Orlando Magic
    i thought i read somewhere that he was in the "all south australian team" as a key backmen which would lead me to believe he would be the best or one of the best state league key defenders.
    he didn't impress much at afl level but its amazing what a year or two can do in a state level can do
  20. Dramoth

Dramoth Premium Platinum

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Manchester United
    That would actually sound about right. However, having Tippett as cover if we have another season with our tall defenders falling over like clockwork (see 2009) it might be handy to have at least 1 more tall defender on the rookie list as cover. I know that at the moment, we seem to be all right for our KP defenders (Hendo, Jamo, Watson and Patty Mac), but all it takes is one bad day at the office and we are screwed again.
  21. Azul

Azul All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    White was given a 1 year extension to cover for the absence of McInness. Plus, Rowe has played FB in the SANFL, I believe.

No need for Tippett to clog our rookie list...
  22. zeeCFC

zeeCFC With All The Champions

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Nicky Winmar just delisted by St Kilda. Any interest?
  23. Jeremias

Jeremias Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    MUFC, LAL, PSG, Cameroon
    Not from me. Have to tread cautiously when considering a player who was cut with a year remaining on his contract. Apparently just doesn't have the application to succeed at AFL level.
  24. mediumsizered

mediumsizered Premium Platinum

Carlton
    Other teams:
    It would seem he was delisted on the basis of being in poor shape after returning from leave. It's not a good look, but given the off field issues associated with a number of the mature aged players at St Kilda, you must wonder if the club culture was the issue at St Kilda, rather than Winmar himself. The Saints must have seen something in him to re-sign to a 2nd contract. Personally I haven't seen enough of him to pass judgement on what he can offer, so I would be interested to hear what anyone 'in the know' can tell us about Winmar.
  25. thylacine60

thylacine60 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Insert Token EPL Club
    Big surname to lug around, specially at Linton Street.