2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did that before the draft on David Gourdis - WOW was he fantastic in the highlights reel playing as a FF

Was really excited when we drafted him - Then we tried to make him a defender, I watched a few games at coburg but never was he tried at FF.

Richmond- Always trying to re-invent the wheel

Funny you should say that Gun. From an athletic point of view there was something about the Goo that reminded me of J.Cloke.

Yes but I don't think Stringer will go undrafted. In fact he will likely go 15-25. Whereas people are saying without the broken leg he'd be top 3 certainty which I disagree with.
Big "if". Wouldn't get too worked up by hypotheticals like that.

Worth noting that injury/unavailability has probably had some effect on the positions of both Stringer & Kav, and not much point saying anything more than that.

Funny you should say that Gun. From an athletic point of view there was something about the Goo that reminded me of J.Cloke.

In what way? Not that I know how athletic J.Cloke is...but Goudis is extremely athletic and he is ranked top 5 in the record book for the vertical jump at draft camp. Was also very fast over 20m. Just never had the footy skills to achieve impact in games at higher levels. Not sure on the Cloke comparison...I would have thought the exact opposite???

Off topic though with this, but hope we draft footballers and not athletes (although the interchange rule change may see more endurance players needed from 2014).

Off topic though with this, but hope we draft footballers and not athletes (although the interchange rule change may see more endurance players needed from 2014).
I think the capped rotations will mean an increased emphasis on midfielders who can "rest" forward, same for rucks - it's already happened with the 3+1 change and teams foregoing the second true ruckman in most cases, but having Maric be able to drop forward or back for a breather, swapping with TV etc becomes vital, as does guys like Cotch, Martin, Foley being capable of playing forward, and guys being capable of stepping into the midfield to cover them, to remove a little bit of reliance on the interchange.

It's one reason I am happy to see a guy like Nahas traded for the right deal (i.e. an earl/mid 20's pick outright, or the 9 + Nahas for 12 & 14). Sure, he's a handy goalkicking forward, and yes, he can go into the middle, but he's just too light and gets bumped off the ball too easy, loses his feet etc. Edwards may not be as good as a pure forward, but he's much handier in the middle when rotating with a Cotchin etc. And with the pick we could get for Nahas, we could get someone like Kennedy (it won't be Kennedy from what I've heard, but someone in his mould who is capable both forward, and for stints in the middle).

In what way? Not that I know how athletic J.Cloke is...but Goudis is extremely athletic and he is ranked top 5 in the record book for the vertical jump at draft camp. Was also very fast over 20m. Just never had the footy skills to achieve impact in games at higher levels. Not sure on the Cloke comparison...I would have thought the exact opposite???

DIFCB, just in body shape and build. I thought if the GOO had the skill with a few more preseasons under his belt he would have been " bloody huge mate " . Only my opinion though I don't have anything to back it up. (judging by his shape when he arrived & how much he responded to the training they put into him). But of course who really knows ?

One of the two big respected phantom drafters, Chris25, has updated his draft. He has O'Rourke, Wines and McCrae available at 9 and Membrey, Graham and Hrovat available at 29 and 31, wouldn't that be a hoot.

i would only choose O'Rourke over McCrae because he is a richmond fan and if we got Membrey at 29/30 and Hrovat at 33 i would cry so much with joy.

One of the two big respected phantom drafters, Chris25, has updated his draft. He has O'Rourke, Wines and McCrae available at 9 and Membrey, Graham and Hrovat available at 29 and 31, wouldn't that be a hoot.

FJ will be earning his salary this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Jesse Lonergan was asked who he enjoyed speaking with most at the combine he answered "Damien Hardwick".

Could be an indication of our level of interest....maybe

Aren't you supposed to be a trading expert? :D I have it under pretty good authority that we'll snatch up Vlastuin if he's available though.
As a last resort or first choice?

When Jesse Lonergan was asked who he enjoyed speaking with most at the combine he answered "Damien Hardwick".

Could be an indication of our level of interest....maybe
I put in my post on the previous page if we get a Macrae type first I'd love Lonergan at our 2nd rounder. But I think he may be snatched up by then unfortunately.

I would be all for the club packaging 31 & 33 for a mid 20s pick in hope of Lonergan. Seems a great player, if not Simpson would give us something that we dont have

Why I think we should be doing everything in our power to get 12 + 14 off GWS.

Elite Category of the draft: (No specific order) 1-3
Whitfield
Grundy
Toumpas

Very good category: (No specific order) 4-13
Mayes
O'Rourke
Macrae
Garner
Wines
Menzel
Plowman
Vlastuin
Garlett
Stringer

Good category: (No specific order.) 15-24
McBean
Kennedy
Shaw
Smith
Membrey
Clurey
Lonergan
Broomhead
Simpson
Jaksch

As you can see, that very good category is very very very open. We would be happy if we got any one of them at 9. The thing is, we could get two of them at 12 + 14. The range of 4-14 is so close that you could put a blanket over it. A club may rate a player at 4 whilst another has him in the early teens. So why wouldn't we go hard for it?

Imagine having say BOTH Vlastuin and Garlett instead of just one. It would be a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back