Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Fremantle Dockers Supercoach Q&A - 2012

I have being doing a bit of research for the 2012 Supercoach season and its only a matter of time before we get a barage of SC related questions about our players.

Below is an initial report of the players and my opiones from my obeservations at training. This is all before any NAB cup games have been played so its only a guide. I will add to this OP over time as I find more info. I'll start with the Defense and work my way through the list...

Here is the full list of players for 2012 by position (Name - Position - SC Price):

Broughton, Greg
- B - $502100 The question will be asked if he will spend much time in the midfield, but as Mundy, Barlow, Morabito are coming back I suspect a small amount of rotations or if those mentioned go down with injury. Still should average 90+ with his accurate kicking of HB. Job security is good and should be walk up 22, slightly overpriced IMO.

Ibbotson, Garrick
- B - $429200 Gaz will be used in defence and on the wings utilising his speed and should only average 75-80 points. JS is not the best and borderline 22, could be used as sub at times.

Silvagni, Alex
- B - $410800 Silvagni should improve on his SC ave of 75 in 2011 and is capable of of few cont marks which should help bump up his score to the 80-90's. Only played 9 games due to an early season injury/illness but at recent training looks to be all over that now.

Duffield, Paul - B - $410200 Duffman had a quieter 2011 (avg 75) after a huge 2010 (avg 91) and I hope Ross will get him back into that roll down back to rack up those disposals and clean delivery by foot. Only dropped once in 2011 he has good JS and should be a regular feature in the Dockers back 6. Might be a better pick that Broughton as he is almost 100k cheaper.

McPharlin, Luke
- B - $371100 Great player but as a KPD, never goes well for supercoachers.

Grover, Antoni
- B - $311400 As above, may retire by the end of the year if heavy injury sets in. Probably has a strip of shaved ham left on his bone...

Suban, Nick
- B - $309500 Nick is capable of scores of 80+ but will need to stay on the park only playing 10 games last year. Keep an eye out at NAB cup results.

Dawson, Zac
- B - $299900 Uknown quantity and may only score 50-60

Roberton, Dylan
- B - $242400 Will be used as a link up player but wont be on the park much. Could subbed on/off a bit and is borderline 22.

Pitt, Jayden
- B - $218200 Could be a bolter this year but is an awkward price. Elite disposal will help for big scores and might play in the pocket/hb/wing. Bulked up a bit and has run well in the time trials. Might need to earn his spot in the 22 but if he does he could stay there all season. No major injury concerns either.

Crichton, Jesse
- B - $216100 JC's role for 2012 might be as a tagger of defensive forward. Not a good choice for SC. Depth player

Faulks, Peter
- B - $188700 Depth player with no JS. Stay away.

Spurr, Lee
- B - $116000 Will be the 'Nick Lower' of 2012. Should be a lock for most teams and should get the pre season rookie promotion (if the rules still work that way :confused:) Not sure who he will push out of the side but he should get to play 18+ games this season. One to keep and eye on in the NAB cup.

Forster, Alex
- B - $106600 Currently recovering from a Hip op and hasn't featured too much in the training. Might struggle to get a debut.

Wilson, Jordan
- B - $83400 As above. May become a great player but I haven't seen much to get him off the Rookie list over the likes of Roberts, Spurr and Menegola.

Johnson, Michael
- B/F - $390800 In 2011 MJ averaged 75 points and played every game without being dropped. JS could become an issue under Lyon but scores well.

Mundy, David - C - $580500 Potentional for some big 120+ scores from Mundy if he can stay injury free. Has had an interrupted preseason but when hes fully fit worth having in your side. Wait for his price to drop before jumping on

Barlow, Michael - C - $453600 Micky B is one who I will consider for M4. Returned from his broken leg in 2011 with some big scores but did suffer a small set back, now back at training and good signs he has fully recovered.

Lower, Nick - C - $444200 Spent a bit of time in the rehab group from his shoulder OP but shouldn't affect him in the upcoming season. His disposal let him down at times last year, but he did come up with few scores over 120. Can't see him repeating 100+ scores every week and may not hold his spot in the side.

Mzungu, Tendai - C - $441000 Mz has been quitely going about his business in the offseason and looks to be in for a good year. A great accumulator at the contest and will bob up for a few goals.

Hill, Stephen - C - $418700 Keep an eye out for Hilly in 2012. Blitzing the preseason, he looks ready to take the next step. Only averaged 78 last year but I think that could turn into scores of 90+ if hes played in the right position. A good choice of midfielder in that middle price point.

de Boer, Matthew - C - $373700 As a tagger/def forward not a good choice for SC. Great courageous player!

van Berlo, Jay - C - $320500 As above, not suited for SC and not a starting 22 player either

Crowley, Ryan - C - $305300 - Another tagger/def forward. Stay clear and don't be tempted if he registers the odd 90+ score.

Morabito, Anthony - C - $168500 An absoulte bargain at this price. Need to see NAB Cup results to know he has fully recovered but could go gang busters with 80+ scores if pulls through and will be best 22 once back.

Sheridan, Thomas - C - $121600 Long term prospect that might not get a debut this year.

Neale, Lachie - C - $106600 Like most new recruits its hard to gauge early on if they will play much but there is a good chance of Lachie getting a few games.

Sutcliffe, Cameron - C - $106600 Training very well but will also find it hard to break into the side enough to make him a worthwile selection.

Fyfe, Nathan - C/F - $585700 Had a stellar 2011 and was one of the biggest price rises of all players last year. I will stay away from Fyfe as he has had a bit of a restricted program and might start slow. The absence of Mundy, Barlow and Morabito may have inflated his scores last year and the game plan revolved around getting the ball to Fyfe. His DPP status is tempting but i think he is a bit overpriced. Better selections at other clubs at that price.

Pavlich, Matthew - C/F - $573000 If played in his true position of CHF rather than midfield he will still make for a good choice. Being used in the midfield in 2011 he racked up alot of the ball and average 105 which he can still acheive this year by getting a few goals a game. He only kicked 16 goals last year! Looks to have trimmed down a bit this offseason and should play the 22 games.

Pearce, Clancee - C/F - $332500 Not a good SC choice as he is a great depth player and will be on the list of changes every week. Too good for WAFL and not enough for regular AFL.

Crozier, Hayden - C/F - $106600 Another young draftee looking to break into the side. If he does get a game he will be an exciting player to watch and should score upwards of 70 points.

Schloithe, Haiden - C/F - $94700 This hard nut rookie is a tackling machine and would make a great choice if they awarded more point for tackles. May not get a promotion before Roberts, Spurr and Menegola.

Sandilands, Aaron - R - $600500 Mr. 211 has made good progress with his toe injury and looks set to take his position as the number one ruckman in the AFL again in 2012. The big question will be 'Do I risk it?'. With many staying away from him will make a great POD and could return 120+ a game. The downside is that he may be rested during the year to keep him fresh especially WHEN (not if) Freo make the 8, a bit like Geelong with Ottens.

Griffin, Jonathon - R - $492800 Griff may only get a run when Sandi is rested or when we need to line up tall. Not worth the spending the cash on him unless we lose Sandi early and will dominate if he does get an opportunity again.

Clarke, Zachary - R - $450800 A smokey for ruck choice for 2012. Could play majority of game as he is very versatile and being trained as a forward so may not be directly competing with Sandi and Griff. He knows how to win a tap, take a cont mark, tackle and may kick a few goals which could result in 100+ games. High risk though.

Ballantyne, Hayden - F - $390000 Ballas has been another one of the top performers in the preseason. He has talked about spending time rotating through the midfield and will help his SC scores. As a small forward he is very inconsistent with scoring and may fluctuate between 60 and 120. Good point of difference if your willing to take the risk. Should play all year providing his hamstring doesn't flare up.

Mayne, Chris - F - $371300 Chopper is not a good pick for SC, plays as a defensive forward and struggled to convert in 2011. Spent a large time getting rub downs from the trainers and will need to work hard to stay in the team and post bigger scores in 2012

Bradley, Kepler - F - $367500 The 'Fridge' has worked really hard on bulking up his body in the offseason. Was the leading joint leading scorer for Freo while still missing a few games. Not sure about JS as injury or poor form might keep him out of the side. Too much of risky choice.

McPhee, Adam - F - $300000 utility/tagger not capable of big SC scores. Minus scores for kicking OOF doesn't help his cause.

Walters, Michael - F - $292700 Exciting player who earned his call up in round 1 last year but only played 3 games. Will need to work hard to break into and stay in the side. Falling behind at training and has been sent to the WAFL to train to get up to speed.

Anthony, John - F - $231700 A lot to work on to improve his SC average of 29 from 2011. Has shown improvements at training but may find it hard staying in the starting 22 up front.

Mellington, Josh - F - $170800 Mello could be nice bench option if he starts to get some games. Ross has taken a shine to him but as a second year player, he might be treading water in the magoos.

Michie, Viv - F - $113200 recovering from a serious foot injury and has had little time on the track. Should get his chance late in the year so stay clear of Viv.

Roberts, Gavin - F - $113200 Gav has been great in training and worked in his smaller body from last year. Could be spending some time in the midfield but is stuck on the rookie list waiting for an LTI to get a run. Has spent a bit of time in the rehab group so may not get the early promotion.

Menegola, Sam - F - $106600 impressive athlete but not unsure of footy ability. He score 86 SC points against the Eagles in the NAB round robin game last year and is one of the rookies likely to get promoted at some stage. Training in the forward line.

Any questions don't hesitate to post them here.

*SC Prices obtained from FanFooty

borrat

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Re: Fremantle Dockers Supercoach Q&A - 2012

could spurr take broughtons spot in the backline and then he plays midfield?? probably as a tagger i know you have a few but with lyon in charge you never know

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Mandurah Football Club

could spurr take broughtons spot in the backline and then he plays midfield?? probably as a tagger i know you have a few but with lyon in charge you never know

I could see bspurr taking broughtons spot in the backline, however i cant see broughton being a tagger. he is too creative, would become a midfielder in his own right.... having said that i think the more likely scenario is for broughton to take one half back flank, spurr the other,a nd duffield being on the outer

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle

No, needs a long term injury to get elevated, Pav is on the vets list now...

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

No, needs a long term injury to get elevated, Pav is on the vets list now...

unfortunately history suggests that most teams have atleast one LTI going in to the season. hopefully we dont have that, but if we do spurr will be the first to be elevevated id suggest

May 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Broughton, Greg - B - $502100 The question will be asked if he will spend much time in the midfield, but as Mundy, Barlow, Morabito are coming back I suspect a small amount of rotations or if those mentioned go down with injury. Still should average 90+ with his accurate kicking of HB. Job security is good and should be walk up 22, slightly overpriced IMO.

Spurr, Lee - B - $116000 Will be the 'Nick Lower' of 2012. Should be a lock for most teams and should get the pre season rookie promotion (if the rules still work that way :confused:) Not sure who he will push out of the side but he should get to play 18+ games this season. One to keep and eye on in the NAB cup.

Morabito, Anthony - C - $168500 An absoulte bargain at this price. Need to see NAB Cup results to know he has fully recovered but could go gang busters with 80+ scores if pulls through and will be best 22 once back.

Pavlich, Matthew - C/F - $573000 If played in his true position of CHF rather than midfield he will still make for a good choice. Being used in the midfield in 2011 he racked up alot of the ball and average 105 which he can still acheive this year by getting a few goals a game. He only kicked 16 goals last year! Looks to have trimmed down a bit this offseason and should play the 22 games.

Sandilands, Aaron - R - $600500 Mr. 211 has made good progress with his toe injury and looks set to take his position as the number one ruckman in the AFL again in 2012. The big question will be 'Do I risk it?'. With many staying away from him will make a great POD and could return 120+ a game. The downside is that he may be rested during the year to keep him fresh especially WHEN (not if) Freo make the 8, a bit like Geelong with Ottens.

Great Anaysis above and thanks for the tweet to bring it to my attention.

Spurr - Looks a lock if elevated prior to Rd1.
Lower - Great service for me in 2011 and was in my team all year:thumbsu:
Pavlich - Has always been in my team as long as I can remember, but I'm a bit concern he does fade out of games. With Pavlich's bye round clashing with Chappy,SJ, Goodes, ROK, Zaharakis it's a tough call.
211 - It's a difficult one, especailly when you think Sandilands is lower than Mumford in price and only $50K more than Luen and McEvoy - BTW I traded in out twice last year :eek::eek::eek:

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Just on the original analysis, i disagree with morabito. I think he will really struggle all year. he isnt going to have a preseason, and he is going to take 12 months to get any form of confidence back... a bit like andy otten last year. id stay right away, even at the cheap price

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Duff could be great value this year, especially based on what I have seen from his training.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Just on the original analysis, i disagree with morabito. I think he will really struggle all year. he isnt going to have a preseason, and he is going to take 12 months to get any form of confidence back... a bit like andy otten last year. id stay right away, even at the cheap price

For sure, his confidence is going to in crumbles knowing he's had multiple setbacks and hasn't done any training at all yet. I still hope he plays a few games though but I am pissed off with the way his rehab has been handled.

Feb 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle

I agree KPR, for this very reason I think that Palmer is going to have a very good season in Dreamteam. He will have a lot more confidence in the knee and will start in the midfield.

In Supercoach, I have a sneaking suspicion that MJ is going to come out and shock the world in 2012. ;):thumbsu:

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I'm more of a DT fan than SuperCoach. (Dream Team that is.. ;) ) Has anybody got that assistant coach thing and can do up a list like this but for DT? I don't know if it's 100% relevant to read this if the scoring methods are different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kickett Punches Read

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
dullsville
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

I agree KPR, for this very reason I think that Palmer is going to have a very good season in Dreamteam. He will have a lot more confidence in the knee and will start in the midfield.

In Supercoach, I have a sneaking suspicion that MJ is going to come out and shock the world in 2012. ;):thumbsu:

yep. palmer in DT will be gold this year. he may not use the ball, but his knee will be fine and he will get a lot of it.

hehe well i'll let you take a punt on MJ. if i were to get him in my side it would be in supercoach, because if he has one thing, it is the ability to hit targets.

my theory in both DT and SC is that i dont want too many of the one team, especially with all of the byes. that being said im probably going to have the following freo players

broughton, spurr, barlow, fyfe/pavlich depending on how fyfe comes along with his rehab

Docker Dolph

All Australian
Feb 2, 2009
Behind the couch.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, RedSox, Bengals.

I'm more of a DT fan than SuperCoach. (Dream Team that is.. ;) ) Has anybody got that assistant coach thing and can do up a list like this but for DT? I don't know if it's 100% relevant to read this if the scoring methods are different.

Yeah I'm DT too. Hate the scoring system of SC, just too objective and you get some ridiculous results.

Do we need to separate DT and SC for info thread? Honest question as I don't know which way I'd wnat it myself.

Just on more threads...any reason why we needed another thread when another one was already going?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=888489

Started by another team supporter but that shouldn't matter.

Dr2Sheds

Senior List
Aug 21, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hey Seppo, nice work - typo on Duffman; should be "100K cheaper" - though i'm sure everyone read it that way :D

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Well it's less than 3 hours to go before we can all start filling our teams for Supercoach.

General rule of thumb: limit yourself to just 4 Dockers and try not to have 2 premiums in the same line. (e.g. Fyfe and Pavlich both selected in the forward line).

If Freo were to play tomorrow this would be my 4 players to select.

Def: Duffield - good price and moving well in the preseason training. No injury concerns.

Mid: Barlow - Ready to play footy at a level better than his 2010 season. Slow start at training last year but smashing it now with huge improvements in his running.

Ruck: Sandilands at that price is too hard to resist. At training he looks fine, but will injury strike again? Who knows...

Fwd: Ballantyne. Risky choice as generally small forwards scores fluctuate from 60-120, but he has performed extremely well in the preseason and will get time on ball this year.

mitchell12345

Senior List
May 5, 2008
nsw
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
cricket aus

More of a dt fan but that doesn't matter. Ok I have recently heard someone say that Greg broughton is training soley as a midfielder. Is there any truth behind this because from what I had heard he was training in the backline.

The other thing wad that you guys were setting up down bak with two designed kickers who are playing much looser off their mans than the other defenders. And Paul duffield and suban are these two designated kickers. I'm only really interested in duffield and if this is true about his role could we see him back to averaging 90+.

I think the second thing about duffield seems more truthful compared to the thing about broughton, but would love to have this confirmed by someone that has been to training. Cheers

mitchell12345

Senior List
May 5, 2008
nsw
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
cricket aus

just some thoughts on nathan fyfe.

will he have a slow start to the season due to his interupted pre season or will continue to dominate like he did last year.

also he is only young so can you see and improvement in him maybe bumping his average up 5-10 points at all.

thanks

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
just some thoughts on nathan fyfe.

will he have a slow start to the season due to his interupted pre season or will continue to dominate like he did last year.

also he is only young so can you see and improvement in him maybe bumping his average up 5-10 points at all.

thanks

Fyfe's interrupted preseason will not affect his output this year, although the fact we will have more of the list available. He will not get the same scores he did last year as he was the one carrying the load for the team and was the go-to man. Things will be different this year.

I feel he is overpriced and will wait a few game in before I jump back on him. Still a great player though :)

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cheers boys! I'll kick off.......
Always plenty of rumours about players making the transition to the midfield at this time of year. Question in two parts, Do you think Ballantyne will be a regular in the midfield this year and what % of gametime do you think he will spend in the middle?

Thanks

jmadrox

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cheers boys! I'll kick off.......
Always plenty of rumours about players making the transition to the midfield at this time of year. Question in two parts, Do you think Ballantyne will be a regular in the midfield this year and what % of gametime do you think he will spend in the middle?

Thanks

we can only speculate, but he has only been training with the midfied group from the reports i have seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back