Galileo9

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Arsenal, 49ers
Interesting. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Strijk would be ahead of Nicoski on the selection panel for small forwards.

he is at top of the queue....to be delisted.

he also isnt a small forward. in fact neither is nicoski.

Well yes, Nicoski is injured. ;)

When he is fit, I disagree.
The reason I find it to be interesting is because everyone is talking up Nicoski's return from injury in a way that makes it look like he will slot straight back into the side. But arguably Strijk will have more match fitness under his belt from all that WAFL game time. All I'm saying is that Nico shouldn't rest on his laurels and expect to make it into the team after a long period of injury (even though I'd love to see him back) - it would be unfair on blokes like Strijk, Hams and even Newman should his good form continue.

Why are our players playing resies? Give me a pre season or 2 and ill be playing ressies. Not good enough for a WC listed player. I can't believe we keep listing these guys. FFS rookie list me if you're going to keep listing players with no talent. We have had nothing off the rookie list for years

Why are our players playing resies? Give me a pre season or 2 and ill be playing ressies. Not good enough for a WC listed player. I can't believe we keep listing these guys. FFS rookie list me if you're going to keep listing players with no talent. We have had nothing off the rookie list for years

People overrate the importance of the rookie list.

Sure, you snare a few gems like Cox and Priddis. But I would hazard a guess and say the teams that rely more heavily on players coming off the rookie list (i.e. Freo) tend to struggle. I mean, there is (in general) a reason that these players drop.

Having said that, Shane Nelson looked great today and might be a shot for it next year. ;)

Agree Lynchy, we've got nothing from our rookie listed players (bar Hams) since our last gem in Priddis. Freo have well and truly beaten us in that regard.

People overrate the importance of the rookie list.

Sure, you snare a few gems like Cox and Priddis. But I would hazard a guess and say the teams that rely more heavily on players coming off the rookie list (i.e. Freo) tend to struggle. I mean, there is (in general) a reason that these players drop.

Having said that, Shane Nelson looked great today and might be a shot for it next year. ;)

Essendon - Crameri?

Why would it only be the poor teams that pick up good players? We too often go for the project players imo. Papertalk, come on lets be serious, he'll be lucky to ever play a league game of WAFL. JON, and the other "project player" we got from geelong i think it was? Why can't we pick up a Barlow, Crameri, Hibberd, Mzungu, Zorko etc

Essendon - Crameri?

Why would it only be the poor teams that pick up good players? We too often go for the project players imo. Papertalk, come on lets be serious, he'll be lucky to ever play a league game of WAFL. JON, and the other "project player" we got from geelong i think it was? Why can't we pick up a Barlow, Crameri, Hibberd, Mzungu, Zorko etc

I didn't say good teams don't pick them up; I said that the lesser teams like Freo have a higher reliance on the players they pick up that late. Ergo, if that's the biggest problem with our recruiting perhaps it isn't the worst one to have given our ladder position (which indicates we are doing something right).

I agree with you to a point, we seem to make a few odd choices with the spots; but Mascoulis was highly rated and had last year curtailed by injury, so willing to cut him some slack. Dick may also prove an inspired choice.

Essendon - Crameri?

Crameri isn't anything special. I'd be surprised if he ends up having even half the career of someone like (our) Lynch. He's a big body that'll fill a role until they draft someone better.

We too often go for the project players imo. Papertalk, come on lets be serious, he'll be lucky to ever play a league game of WAFL. JON, and the other "project player" we got from geelong i think it was? Why can't we pick up a Barlow, Crameri, Hibberd, Mzungu, Zorko etc

Yeah, but how many of those guys are absolute stars? Take a look at the history of the rookie list. Cox and Priddis are close to the best two to ever come off it, Carrazzo a contender as well (Melbourne's Davey would have been if not for his implosion over the last couple of years).

Most of the rookie-list players, including pretty much all the guys you named, are role players. Sure, they've have some good games and even some impressive runs of consecutive games (and obviously Barlow could have been anything if not for Rhys Palmer), but the vast majority of even the successful rookie elevations are mere role players, not stars.

I see it that at the Eagles we figure we can get enough role players through the national and pre-season drafts, but can use the rookie list to try to find someone special. Few teams have as many elevated rookies in their senior team as the Eagles (4 today), and overall I think that's what we're going for - guys who when they come good are really in a position to impact the team, rather than guys who will play a role for a year or two before being forced out by a younger draftee.

I didn't say good teams don't pick them up; I said that the lesser teams like Freo have a higher reliance on the players they pick up that late. Ergo, if that's the biggest problem with our recruiting perhaps it isn't the worst one to have given our ladder position (which indicates we are doing something right).

Exactly, in 2010 Strijk and Stevenson were amongst are best players, but they cant even get a game now.

Yer I agree with most of what you said but surely the sandover medalist or the equivalent in the VFL/SANFL or the even the best in each position would be a better choice than a massive gamble on a player like papertalk.

Silvagni, even if he doesn't become a great player would be great depth. We are way too hit and miss imo

Yeah, but how many of those guys are absolute stars? Take a look at the history of the rookie list. Cox and Priddis are close to the best two to ever come off it, Carrazzo a contender as well (Melbourne's Davey would have been if not for his implosion over the last couple of years).

Sandilands, Jolly, Bock, Rutten, Boyd, Maxwell would all be ahead of Priddis I'd say.

Yer I agree with most of what you said but surely the sandover medalist or the equivalent in the VFL/SANFL or the even the best in each position would be a better choice than a massive gamble on a player like papertalk.

Silvagni, even if he doesn't become a great player would be great depth. We are way too hit and miss imo

The rookie list is extremely hit and miss by its nature. Over the years we've done better than most - Cox, Fletcher, Lynch, Priddis, Nicoski, B.Jones, Graham, Green, Armstrong, Hams ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't stand him but he's a premiership captain and All-Australian.

Edit: Sorry sTeeL, I managed to lose your response when I transferred the posts to the new thread. Anyway, the best rookie list picks of all time is probably a topic for a different thread.

Strijk seems to be well and truly out of favour but I have to say that on stats alone he's been pretty consistent for 5-6 weeks now. Multiple goals and plenty of inside 50s every week. At the very least it will keep Hams honest.
I'd agree that if he keeps this run of form going then its far from a fait accompli that Nicoski will come back into the side if/when he's fit again.

The rookie list is extremely hit and miss by its nature. Over the years we've done better than most - Cox, Fletcher, Lynch, Priddis, Nicoski, B.Jones, Graham, Green, Armstrong, Hams ...

I think its the fact that the players you've listed were picked up a long time ago while we haven't picked up anyone more recently (bar Hams) in the rookie draft who's been upto the standard of players you've listed.

Agree Lynchy, we've got nothing from our rookie listed players (bar Hams) since our last gem in Priddis. Freo have well and truly beaten us in that regard.

They've beaten us in Premierships in that time too. Oh wait.......

Sorry for the sarcasm but I don't give a fat rat's clacker what Freo, or any other team, do with the altitude training, rookie lists and so forth, it's not really a measure of what we should be doing. The rookie list is for taking those passed up in the main draft, experimentals and punts, like Brad Dick etc etc.

I hope you don't mind me barging onto this thread but a former Eagle named Lewis Broome played for the Swans reserves yesterday and he impressed quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think despite his size he could turn into a good AFL player as there is talk on the Swans board of us picking him up on the rookie list.

I hope you don't mind me barging onto this thread but a former Eagle named Lewis Broome played for the Swans reserves yesterday and he impressed quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think despite his size he could turn into a good AFL player as there is talk on the Swans board of us picking him up on the rookie list.

IMO, he's far too small and would never make it at AFL level.

Check out this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back