2012 Formula One Season - Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix (16-18 March)

Remove this Banner Ad

My advice is don't read the Australian press for anything associated with Formula 1.

Formula1.com, crash.net, grandprix.com, and jamesallenonf1.com give you most of the coverage you need. Then add in the scarbsf1 blog (scarbsf1.wordpress.com) for everything technical and you're just about there....

BTW - excellent article on scarbsf1 about the Mercedes F-Duct Front Wing (FDFW)

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/mercedes-f-duct-front-wing-operated-by-the-rear-wing-drs/

The DRS rules are quite clear that the flap must not be shaped to allow other aerodynamic benefits. In fact this wording affects only a portion of the flap and additionally the endplate is excluded from this wording. If the team could find a way to blow into the front wing a duct when DRS is activated, then the FDFW could work synchronously with the DRS.

The hingeplate the flap mounts to, closes a hole when DRS is closed. When DRS is open the duct is revealed and the F-duct stalls the front wing

I believe Mercedes have found a way, by creating a duct through the endplate. When DRS is closed, the flap and the plate it attaches to is in a nearly vertical position. When DRS opens, the area the flap initially covered is exposed. If this area featured an opening that lead into a duct inside the endplate, when DRS opened the high pressure above the wing would force flow through the duct. With this duct then routed through the car to the front wing, when DRS is open the FDFW would be blown and stall in unison with the rear wing. Clearly when DRS closes the duct would be closed off and the duct would stop blowing the FDFW, restoring front and rear downforce.

Heikki Kovalainen's Angry Birds inspired helmet

An_uQpnCMAASOnX.jpg:small

An_uuaOCMAAYf_K.jpg:small

My advice is don't read the Australian press for anything associated with Formula 1.

Formula1.com, crash.net, grandprix.com, and jamesallenonf1.com give you most of the coverage you need. Then add in the scarbsf1 blog (scarbsf1.wordpress.com) for everything technical and you're just about there....
How could you leave out Autosport?

not a fan of planet-f1?

Going to my 4th Grand Prix in a row this year. I started going when I was 13 and I've always been since. I always go on the Saturday because you get a great mix of the whole lot + qualifying. I always watch the race from the comfort of my own home though - its a better viewing+following experience.

I'd like to see Williams improve this year but from what I gather they're not going to have a great start to the year. I'd also like to see Force India and Torro Rosso do well.

If this weather keeps up tomorrow might be a bit of a waste of time....

The Melbourne weather radar doesn't look too bad at the moment - anyone in Melbourne that can givve a weather update??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and this from jamesallenonf1

The word in the paddock is that Ferrari has a heavily revised car under development for the Spanish Grand Prix in May. It will require new crash tests and will be designed to make the external exhaust concept work and the set up be more consistent.

I didn't realise that the current car was so bad - cudos to manwithnoname!

Anyone see Kobayashi nearly lose it into the wall at the end of P2 on the pit straight? VERY lucky, did well to save it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back