News 2012 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/13466157/riewoldt-brings-the-best-out-of-saints/

Riewoldt brings the best out of SaintsSteve Butler Melbourne, The West Australian
April 19, 2012, 7:00 am tweet0EmailPrint
St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt. Picture: Getty Images.

St Kilda coach Scott Watters has praised captain Nick Riewoldt for being a key part of the glue which has helped stick the first parts of the Saints' new game plan together.

As the Saints prepare to face former coach Ross Lyon for the first time when they battle Fremantle at Etihad Stadium tomorrow night, Watters said Riewoldt had already been a staunch ally as the club surges into a new era......

St Kilda defender James Gwilt earning his accolades from coach, teammates

YOU can't help but to like and admire James Gwilt. He's affable, modest, funny and dedicated - not to mention a wonderful footballer.

They are the qualities that inspired his teammates to elevate him to the leadership group this season, even though he hasn't played since July last year and is still a month away from his AFL return from a reconstructed left knee.
And they are the qualities that moved coach Scott Watters to comment: "He is loved by the whole club and is a key player in our strategy. To get him back will be a huge bonus."
The 25-year-old understates almost everything about himself. He is honoured to be in St Kilda's leadership group.
He says "some days are harder than others" when talking about the long haul back from the reconstruction.
He reckons he "just loves playing my role" when assessing his impact in St Kilda's defence.
He insists he "can always improve". And he declares he doesn't "dwell on things - I'm a happy fella".
Happy and funny. When asked when he last went to a hairdresser, he recalls it was in primary school, that his mother then cut his hair when he was in high school and that these days he either lets his frizzy, curly locks just grow - or he shaves his head as he did after the 2009 season.
The hair, he suggests, doesn't attract Brownlow Medal votes, certainly not like 1987 medallist John Platten.
He chuckles given he has claimed only two in his eight seasons and 82 games at the club. But he's never considered bleaching his hair to attract attention.
That simply wouldn't be Jimmy Gwilt, a natural character who wants people to accept him on face value.

READ MORE - http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...335088890?sv=65a2abc264d12d1efe672067c80d5c7a

There's an interview with Tom Simpkin on Saints TV.
http://www.saints.com.au/multimedia/tabid/8662/default.aspx

Now an article:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/134095/default.aspx

“It’s the first time in my five games that I’ve actually heard the crowd that loud, so it was a great feeling to be out there.”

“I played on Jack Anthony for a bit (on Friday night), came across Pavlich and Zac Clarke,” he said. “It was a good experience to play on these guys, because I’ve only played a fair few games, so going up against Pavlich was really testing. Obviously he’s a star player of the competition, so to it’s a great learning curve for me.”

Rhys Stanley talks about starting fresh in 2012

ta thunda - had to find another link (stoopid bigpond), but for a short interview that provided some good insights.

It's because they're using Silverlight - absolutely useless M$ program. AFL is locked into using it rather than Flash, for some inexplicable reason. Makes my life hell on Linux.

It's because they're using Silverlight - absolutely useless M$ program. AFL is locked into using it rather than Flash, for some inexplicable reason. Makes my life hell on Linux.

Broadcasting rights extend to mobile & internet and effectively the AFL and Telstra are in bed and Telstra are all about any sort of free or over incumbent tech that they can get their grubby paws on.

Awesome article. Thanks Gav! Almost makes up for what you did to us in the 2004 Prelim (sheds a tear...).

Was trying to explain to the girlfriend who Wanganeen was...ended the conversation with 'I can still clearly see him kicking that ridiculous goal from the far boundary...'

Alas. I've had much worse memories crush it down a bit in the last 7 years :)

Was trying to explain to the girlfriend who Wanganeen was...ended the conversation with 'I can still clearly see him kicking that ridiculous goal from the far boundary...'

Alas. I've had much worse memories crush it down a bit in the last 7 years :)
My worst memory from that game was Guerra's inability to put a foot on the ball that was sitting 2m out right in front of goal. Completely fresh aired it.

I was in the forward pocket here at AAMI when that happened - I saw his foot miss the ball. I saw the gap between the ball and his foot. Fresh air, for four or five centimetres. We were four to five centimetres from the Grand Final, pretty much.

Sometimes this game kills ya, doesn't it. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where to put this and dont want to start a new thread like whenever SS goes down but at moment we are having some issues with True Sainters and not sure when we will be back up & running.

Thought id at least post it for those that are members over there aswell and wondering what was going on. We are currently using our old site until we are back up & running - http://s7.zetaboards.com/truesainters/index/

It has been reported that Laidley has accepted a development coach role with St Bernards (VAFA) and will juggle this commitment with his position at the Saints.

Fine school that one.

"You wish he could play for another five or six years," Watters said after the match.

"He's a superstar on and off the field, and he's got the will and the drive to make something happen for the side when the side really needs it.

"We saw him lay an inspirational tackle a couple of weeks ago that sparked the side, he kicked the crucial goal tonight.

"He's everything you want in a champion and he's a great role model for our club."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=134604&utm_medium=RSS

My worst memory from that game was Guerra's inability to put a foot on the ball that was sitting 2m out right in front of goal. Completely fresh aired it.

God that killed me, I was only 8 and I didn't think anything could be worse than that.

INJURY UPDATE:
Raph Clarke - hamstring - 1 week
Adam Schneider - hamstring - indefinite
Jimmy Webster - shin - 6-8 weeks

Looks like Schneids has had bit of setback as was supposed to be back this weekend.. Also Webster is interesting as he was sent back to gym to bulk up.. Wonder if its shin splints again, we seem to get hell lot of those!!

Schneider is now listed as 3-4 weeks with hamstring injury. Looks like he did it again!!

INJURY UPDATE:
Raph Clarke - hamstring - 1 week
Adam Schneider - hamstring - indefinite
Jimmy Webster - shin - 6-8 weeks

Looks like Schneids has had bit of setback as was supposed to be back this weekend.. Also Webster is interesting as he was sent back to gym to bulk up.. Wonder if its shin splints again, we seem to get hell lot of those!!
Could be worthwhile to move Webster onto the LTI list, he's not likely to play this year let alone within the next 8 weeks and we can promote Curren/Dunell/Ferguson/Archer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back