2012 NHL off-season (a.k.a. Another freaking lockout) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ottawa Senators,NewEngland Patriots
With the 2011-12 season behind us it's time to open a thread about all things offseason.

Next big event is the awards on the 20th (21st for us).

Karlsson for Norris!

Offseason schedule (TSN):
76014996.png

Please no lock out...please

Can't see it happening. Last time the owners were generally in the right and Goodenow was an idiot of ginormous proportions. This time there is not a huge issue like the implementation of a cap to deal with

Stevie Y gets the ball rolling.

Nashville deals Anders Lindback, F Kyle Wilson and a 2012 7th rnd pick to Tampa Bay for two 2012 2nd rnd picks (37th/50th overall), a 2013 3rd rnd pick and goaltender Sebastien Caron.

I assume that shuts the Lightning door on Bobby Lu.

Preds getting some picks back they gave way at the deadline.

I wonder if this takes tampa out of the race for drafting subban or vasilevski.

With new jersey oddly keeping their 1st rounder i think they are hoping for one of those goalies.. will give them some options with wedgewood for when broduer hangs em up.

I wouldn't say Tampa are out of the Bobby Lou sweepstakes just yet. They've only acquired a backup who is very much unproven as a #1 if their intention is to use him in that capacity.

There's a rumour circling that Evander Kane might be holding out on the Jets, per Renaud Lavoie of RDS (French TSN). ‏@RenLavoieRDS
What's going on with the Jets ? I hear from a player on Winnipeg that Kane doesn't want to negotiate a new deal ?
Kane has no arbitration rights, he'll get a QO from the Jets, scored 30 goals...can he be traded ?

I'd bust a nut to see him next to Sid

Mikhail Grigorenko prospective draft position dropping like a stone on a few lists.

Apparently feelings amongst a few scouts and GMs are that he is actually 20 years old and not 18 years old.

If he is there at 13 I would hope Dallas swoop on him. A big centre with a ton of skill. I know he has that russian factor, but there is talent is too much to pass up for me.

Here a quick mock draft of how i think it could go...without any trades..

1. Edmonton - Nail Yakupov
2. Columbus - Alex Galchenyuk
3. Montreal - Filip Forsberg
4. New York Isle - Ryan Murray
5. Toronto - Mikhail Girgorenko
6. Anaheim - Griffen Reinhart
7. Minnesota- Jacob Trouba
8. Carolina- Radek Faksa
9. Winnipeg- Matt Dumba
10. Tampa- Morgan Rielly
11. Washington - Teuvo Teravainen
12. Buffalo - Cody Ceci
13. Dallas - Zemgus Girgensons
14. Calgary - Olli Maata
15. Ottawa - Hampus Lindholm
16. Washington - Derrick Pouliot
17. San Jose - Tomas Hertl
18. Chicago - Malcom Subban
19. Tampa - Brendan Gaunce
20. Philadelphia-Slater Koekkoek
21. Buffalo- Sebastian Collberg
22. Pittsburgh- Pontus Aberg
23. Florida-Matt Finn
24. Boston- Dalton Thrower
25. St louis-Henrik Samuelsson
26. Vancouver- Colton Sissons
27. Phoenix- Stefan Matteau
28. New York Rang- Martin Frk
29. New Jersey- Andrei Vasilevski
30. LA- Tom Wilson

Possible trades..Toronto really wanting galchenyuk, so burke trades up to 2 with columbus. Maybe offer schenn?

Could also see one of the teams who have two first rounders (Tampa 10,19 Buffalo 12,21 Washington 11,16) trade up to get the player they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Howson is happy with his d-men. Via trade or draft he's going to want someone to replace Nash.

Agree with Subban to Chicago.

If he can get JVR plus phillys 1st for Nash that would be a good get.

Then hed have the option of keeping pick 2 and drafting Galchenyuk or forsberg. Or trading down to 5 and hoping one of those two slip, then he could acquire Luke Schenn (hypothetical)..or at 5 draft reinhart or murray and use pick 20 for get another big centre like Girgensons or Hertl.

basically lose Nash.

add

Schenn
Reinhart
JVR
Girgensons

or

galchenyuk or forsberg
JVR
Koekoek or Finn

Catters, I very much doubt the Sharks go European.. we haven't since Kaspar was a failure.

I understand being weary of a russian factor, but i think it would be stupid of any club to ignore a player just because he comes from sweden or finland or the czechs.

IM not saying hertl is definately the BPA at around that range ( the mock was just my view of the best players i think are there), but if he was to be the best there at 17 it would be silly of any team to ignore him just because he's not from North America.

I understand being weary of a russian factor, but i think it would be stupid of any club to ignore a player just because he comes from sweden or finland or the czechs.

IM not saying hertl is definately the BPA at around that range ( the mock was just my view of the best players i think are there), but if he was to be the best there at 17 it would be silly of any team to ignore him just because he's not from North America.
Yeah.. but this is the Sharks. The last European drafted by us in the first round was Kaspar in 2004. We drafted a Russian last year who was sadly on the plane that went down. Before that it was 1996. Our scouting staff is too heavily based in the OHL and New England areas. Just as rare as Swedish players for us and we know how good they can be. We actually pick more Americans than anything it seems.

Yeah.. but this is the Sharks. The last European drafted by us in the first round was Kaspar in 2004. We drafted a Russian last year who was sadly on the plane that went down. Before that it was 1996. Our scouting staff is too heavily based in the OHL and New England areas. Just as rare as Swedish players for us and we know how good they can be. We actually pick more Americans than anything it seems.
Interesting. didnt know that. will be interested to see the way they go at 17

Norris - Erik Karlsson
Ted Lindsay (Pearson Trophy) - Geno Malkin
Jack Adams - Ken Hitchcock
Jennings - Elliott and Halak
Rocket - Steve Stamkos
Art Ross - Geno
Calder - Gabriel Landeskog
GM OTY - Doug Armstrong
EA Sports cover - Bambi Giroux
Selke - Patrice Bergeron
Bill Masterton - Max Pacioretty
King Clancy - Daniel Alfredsson (who should have won the Masterton as well just quietly)
NHL Foundation Player Award - Mike Fisher
Messier Leadership Award - Shane Doan
Lady Byng - Brian Campbell
Not an award but Play of the Year - Geno's goal against the Lightning where he slalomed through the whole team and scored.
Vezina - Henrik Lundqvist
Hart - Geno Malkin (of course)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back