2012 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if you have any chance of upgrading a first round pick it would be with GWS. Picks 12 or 13 may be attainable if you offered the right package. Though to go from 15 to 12? It's a bit unusual to do a deal just to go up 3 picks. If we received a pick around 25 during the trade period and were prepared to offer up Horlin-Smith, we may be able to upgrade that one of those 12/13 picks perhaps.

Personally I'd prefer to keep H-S and see if he can become part of our midfield rotation for the next 10 years.

Spot-on. Can't believe people are talking of cutting loose Mitch brown or George burbury to advance 2-3 places, albeit in the low teens. I would've thought you'd package the two for a pick 12, as both have plenty of upside IMO. Particularly as I can see Menzel2 falling around that mark.

Where have you been? Everyone wants to keep Burbury...or do you mean keep him on as a rookie??

I'm in agreement on Simpkin & Sherringham...I think both can offer other clubs something but not too sure anyone will bite.

If anything I'm probably in the monority in that I'd look to trade out Burbury.

What I meant was Piv was Burbury for me is a true rookie type - and given his background he might be worth keeping him as a Rookie for one more year - and we see what happens. His value might even go up if he improves his game - which he could with more experience in the VFL.

Simpkin and Sheringham I do not think have as much upsise as Burbury - so if I was going to delist or trade a Rookie (or two) this year I would start with them first.

Belisarius, yep, in total agreement about Burbury being the 'classic' rookie selection. As I've mentioned a few times, I'm not as sold on him as many others but keeping him on as a rookie doesn't do any harm. The fact he came later to footy suggests he should have more upside than a few others...it is that potential that may have other clubs sniffing around him.

If he stays and blossoms, good for us and chalk up another 'win' for Wells and team.

I posted this in another thread but it might be more relevant in here:

I think I would still like to have 2 live picks in this draft. But saying that our 4th rounder is a bit late to be making our second selection.
Maybe Wells, Balme & co. could bundle up our pick 15, Brown (assuming he still wants out) & Gilles for something like:
- St Kilda's pick 13 + pick 24/34
- Richmond's pick 9 + pick 29/31

Even a swap of Brown to the dogs for pick 21 (probably a bit overs for a kid with only potential).

I am aware these picks might be slightly out now that the FA compo's are released but you get my drift.
It would be a shame to not bring in a couple of talent youngsters IMO.

Further to add to this, if we could pull one of the above trades off I would be happy with any of Wines, Vlastuin, O'Rourke, Stringer, Menzel, Gartlett or Macrae with our first pick and maybe someone like Towers, Haynes or pretty much anyone Wells rates highly enough with our second pick. You will have to forgive me with my lack of knowledge on this years crop the above group I have rated purely on what I have read in various phantom drafts etc.
Then if we could target a couple of project ruck/KPD's in the rookie draft I would be a very happy man.

Far too much time to ponder in the off season!

This is a bit left of field, but I noticed Melbourne delisted Matthew Bate among many others. I've always had a soft spot for him and when I've seen him play I thought he was a real goer. I know we've got a lot of honest tryers, but before you say stuff like "why would we consider a Melbourne reject" I reckon he's a lot better than the like of Simpkin, Sheringham et al and could really help Selwood out in the midfield as he is strong, quick and has reasonable skills. Just a thought... Oh and he's a ranga too! ;)

This is a bit left of field, but I noticed Melbourne delisted Matthew Bate among many others. I've always had a soft spot for him and when I've seen him play I thought he was a real goer. I know we've got a lot of honest tryers, but before you say stuff like "why would we consider a Melbourne reject" I reckon he's a lot better than the like of Simpkin, Sheringham et al and could really help Selwood out in the midfield as he is strong, quick and has reasonable skills. Just a thought... Oh and he's a ranga too! ;)

I just don't think we have any spots on the list. We are only taking 3 draft picks i think with one of them Stringer so i just dont think he would fit in unless we rookied him which is unlikely or had him in our VFL side which is even more unlikely.

With the recruitment guys not trading 16 for two higher picks as they have in the past, and us having 79, makes me think two things. The first is Wells has a guy in mind he thinks may be available at 16 who will hopefully turn out to be a gun. (Hopefully he thinks Stringer will slide and the players taken with picks before 16 will be seen as less risk to other clubs) The second is he has a smoky in mind for 79, someone that no one else will see as a player, might be an over ager who can come in straight away. I hope it works out like this, its always exciting when Wells has a pick inside 20.

With the recruitment guys not trading 16 for two higher picks as they have in the past, and us having 79, makes me think two things. The first is Wells has a guy in mind he thinks may be available at 16 who will hopefully turn out to be a gun. (Hopefully he thinks Stringer will slide and the players taken with picks before 16 will be seen as less risk to other clubs) The second is he has a smoky in mind for 79, someone that no one else will see as a player, might be an over ager who can come in straight away. I hope it works out like this, its always exciting when Wells has a pick inside 20.

Mega , I believe they almost had a deal swapping 16 for 25 & 26 with the Saints , so Im not sure that the case.

So it seems the only real interest is who get with Pick 16 and to see if get the Big S at pick 79.

I have only read posts about the guys on the table - and I hope we get one of Simpson, Stringer or Menzel. They all seem to bring some different to the table. Hopefully one gets down to pick 16.

My personal draft wish-list in order of preference for pick 16 at the moment is:
1. Stringer
2. Menzel 2.0
Knowing these are extremely likely to be both gone before our pick, my next choices would be:
3. Vlastuin
4. Any slider that happens to be an inside midfielder
5. Clurey
6. Someone like Simpson or Garlett
7. Another smokey like Hamling.

To be honest I'm happy with whatever we get, seeing as we got Caddy.

Plus the dark lord at 79.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sound confident , like you are in possession of info. This would surprise me , as SW has a reputation for secrecy

Mate i wish i had some inside info. All i will say is i may actually be attending the draft, should be fun. Always wanted to go.

Mate i wish i had some inside info. All i will say is i may actually be attending the draft, should be fun. Always wanted to go.
If that's the case you'll probably be able to provide better coverage than Fox do...god I hate the way they televise it. I don't wanna hear the guys selected early being interviewed, I want to hear the names called, get a brief synopsis and move to the next.

Viewer's Choice says: click red to listen to interviews. :mad:

If that's the case you'll probably be able to provide better coverage than Fox do...god I hate the way they televise it. I don't wanna hear the guys selected early being interviewed, I want to hear the names called, get a brief synopsis and move to the next.

Viewer's Choice says: click red to listen to interviews. :mad:

Yep totally agree i think it took me a while to figure out the red button was there last year. Hopefully i get to go, all things at this stage say i can, so fingers crossed. Do you reckon Wellsy would like a hand.

Who here actually believes that Jake Stringer might slip to 16?

I read in an article today on the AFL website about Stringer that the Cats were the keenest on him last year (pre leg break) when he looked a certainty to go into the GWS mini-draft. So it's reasonable to assume that they'll nab him if they get the chance. However it seems to me that every club with a first round pick thinks they're going to pick him up. My money would be on GWS with their pick in the early teens.

Who here actually believes that Jake Stringer might slip to 16?

I read in an article today on the AFL website about Stringer that the Cats were the keenest on him last year (pre leg break) when he looked a certainty to go into the GWS mini-draft. So it's reasonable to assume that they'll nab him if they get the chance. However it seems to me that every club with a first round pick thinks they're going to pick him up. My money would be on GWS with their pick in the early teens.

I am not sure it is a matter of anyone believing he will slip to pick 16 i think HOPING is more apt.

I am not sure it is a matter of anyone believing he will slip to pick 16 i think HOPING is more apt.

Very true. You never know though. I'm sure Geelong could not believe their luck when nobody picked up Selwood in 06

Very true. You never know though. I'm sure Geelong could not believe their luck when nobody picked up Selwood in 06

Id love to see footage of this.

I picture Wells laughing like a villain with thunder and lightening in the background.

"MUHUHUHAHAHA. Player number 48739, Joel Selwood."

Id love to see footage of this.

I picture Wells laughing like a villain with thunder and lightening in the background.

"MUHUHUHAHAHA. Player number 48739, Joel Selwood."

Have a feeling he may have chipped a tooth, couldn't get to the microphone quick enough :thumbsu:

Probably thought he'd fallen asleep and missed a round or two when Mitch Thorps name got read out, thanks Dawks :p

Yep totally agree i think it took me a while to figure out the red button was there last year. Hopefully i get to go, all things at this stage say i can, so fingers crossed. Do you reckon Wellsy would like a hand.

Might want someone to grab him a coffee between our first and last pick ;)

Probably thought he'd fallen asleep and missed a round or two when Mitch Thorps name got read out, thanks Dawks :p
Funny to think about this now in hindsight isn't it. I remember that Thorpe was hot property in pre-draft talks on here at the time. Most had him going top 5 easily and would've jumped to take him at our pick 7. Selwood was certainly not a lock for us on this forum with his injury history. It'll be interesting to see which of the top 10 this year turn out to be duds too.

On a side, but slightly related note, having not seen much of Jake Stringer except for the youtube/afl highlights, he seems much bigger than all the other kids on the ground. Could it be that he just appears dominant because he's so much bigger at the moment? Might this not translate to the AFL as well as most would hope? Inflationary maybe - but can anyone clarify for me?

On a side, but slightly related note, having not seen much of Jake Stringer except for the youtube/afl highlights, he seems much bigger than all the other kids on the ground. Could it be that he just appears dominant because he's so much bigger at the moment? Might this not translate to the AFL as well as most would hope? Inflationary maybe - but can anyone clarify for me?

Interesting thought that. I think a similar thing happened with Daniel Rich. His body developed into a more AFL like frame almost immediately, making him seem like some breath taking made-for-AFL at the get go type. Only come second, third years as his fellow youngsters start to physically mature, he's already hit his structural ceiling. Probably why his first year seemed unrivalled, but he ain't done much since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back