Game Day 2012 Prelim Hawthorn v Adelaide

Macjoe

Got your Back
Apr 14, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
... "a lot of on field success in the last 7 or 8 years"
The BIG divide! GFs v Wins at our home ground?

0 GFs (although we have been in the finals for 4 of the last 8 years) vs 62% win rate in the games most of us actually go to. No point in debating this - you are either one of those hard-liners who think anything other than a GF appearance is a failure, or you are a normal, reasonable Crows supporter who likes watching our team win :D.

Whatever you think, you are NOT going to convince the other mob that you are right!

It's a fair point.
When people look back on history do they remember the also rans?
Who lost the 2001 preliminary finals? I sure don't remember.

The point I'm trying to make, is we've not been an absolute rabble. We have beaten teams, we have knocked teams out of the finals. Before this year, we had knocked Fremantle out the finals the last two times they had played. Which reiterates my point: teams hate us. I've met Bulldogs fans who despise us because of the Preliminary finals, I've met Freo fans who hate us for knocking them out also. Bitter fans mean we have beaten them in some way. If opposition supporters have a soft spot for us, it proves we are a soft team.

0 GFs (although we have been in the finals for 4 of the last 8 years) vs 62% win rate in the games most of us actually go to. No point in debating this - you are either one of those hard-liners who think anything other than a GF appearance is a failure, or you are a normal, reasonable Crows supporter who likes watching our team win :D.

You're right. Why do we even agree to play in the finals once they're not at home?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

You seem to be suggesting that a match for you is a nice day outing, rather than a competitive contest?

You're probably not the only one who feels that way though

May 3, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The point I'm trying to make, is we've not been an absolute rabble. We have beaten teams, we have knocked teams out of the finals. Before this year, we had knocked Fremantle out the finals the last two times they had played. Which reiterates my point: teams hate us. I've met Bulldogs fans who despise us because of the Preliminary finals, I've met Freo fans who hate us for knocking them out also. Bitter fans mean we have beaten them in some way. If opposition supporters have a soft spot for us, it proves we are a soft team.

Man I hate Collingwood...

amer

Cancelled
Nov 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
You seem to be suggesting that a match for you is a nice day outing, rather than a competitive contest?

You're probably not the only one who feels that way though

It's more of an American thing as an archetype, but you get them everywhere for sure.

Adelaide's problem is more the "sit down!" crew when we've just kicked a goal to get through to a preliminary final (would say GF, but I wanted an example grounded in the real world).

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
An interesting point...not sure if anyone's already raised it. This year's prelim was within a kick of the same score of last year. 2012...Haw 13-19 97, Adel 14-8 92, 2013...Haw 14-18 102, Geel 15-7 97. Both 5 point margins, and same scoring shots for each team.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
An interesting point...not sure if anyone's already raised it. This year's prelim was within a kick of the same score of last year. 2012...Haw 13-19 97, Adel 14-8 92, 2013...Haw 14-18 102, Geel 15-7 97. Both 5 point margins, and same scoring shots for each team.

I thought exactly the same way. I was also thinking to myself, its just so hard to make a Grand Final. Usually in at least one of the preliminary finals there is no way out of the close game trap. Just need luck to go your way and play as hard as you can. Geelong and Hawthorn have been there and done it before, 6 of the last 7 Grand Finals for 4 premierships and probably more to come. If you want to get success you have to earn it, get over the line, success brings more belief into teams and next year we have to do it all over again after losing the belief this year, make the top 4 and hope for the best in Finals.

Crows_United_FC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Can't stop watching the highlights of this game and I keep thinking 'what if' when Danger had the ball in the 50 and was tackled. It's strange. 9/10 times danger would beat his opponents in those situations and that's when he needed to the most. The umpiring decisions in that match were shocking and you could say that they cost us the match.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't stop watching the highlights of this game and I keep thinking 'what if' when Danger had the ball in the 50 and was tackled. It's strange. 9/10 times danger would beat his opponents in those situations and that's when he needed to the most. The umpiring decisions in that match were shocking and you could say that they cost us the match.

I think he could have dove to take the mark on the lead, instead of taking it on the half volley and having to do a u-turn which is the hardest move in the book.

Plenty of defining moments in that game though.

You'd have to think that we would've lost the next week to Sydney in any case.

Crows_United_FC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
I think he could have dove to take the mark on the lead, instead of taking it on the half volley and having to do a u-turn which is the hardest move in the book.

Plenty of defining moments in that game though.

You'd have to think that we would've lost the next week to Sydney in any case.

I reckon he should have given the ball off to Sloane who was running on his own behind him!

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Or Luke Thomson could have kept his feet in a marking contest with that gorilla Cyril Rioli :cool:

Heartbreaking loss but I just don't think we would've beaten the Swans the following week. They touched us up in the QF and having played out of our skins against the Hawks (and the Swans playing at home the night before), they probably would've run over us in the end.

threefa9

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heartbreaking loss but I just don't think we would've beaten the Swans the following week. They touched us up in the QF and having played out of our skins against the Hawks (and the Swans playing at home the night before), they probably would've run over us in the end.
Yeah you don't know that though. Swans would have been preparing to play Hawks not us.

Yeah you don't know that though. Swans would have been preparing to play Hawks not us.
Still happy we didn't win the flag, given the whole Tippett saga, Vlad would have more than likely stripped us of the flag had we won.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still happy we didn't win the flag, given the whole Tippett saga, Vlad would have more than likely stripped us of the flag had we won.

I doubt it. More likely he would have just had us play for no premiership points in the following season.

Having a hole in the history book forever under his reign is not something Vlad would want.

Back