2012 WTA Tournments

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam doesn't tend to like these Asian courts but really she should be beating Schiavone here, I like her draw to make the quarters. Funny that a GS final matchup from only 2 years ago gets put on Court 1 over there.

Nah, it was on Court 1 so no coverage, she's on centre Court tomorrow, 2nd on so approz. around 2pm, won't be on Europsort but maybe a stream. If she's getting taken 7-5 in the third aagainst schiavone right now i suggest the match wasn't that pretty. Cibulkova is another matchup she should enjoy (like her French QF this year) but this is Sam.

I saw that Sam was 3-1 down in the 3rd when I peeked at the scores so I didn't bother to continue following, so I was a bit surprised to see she got up in the end. Also good to see she managed to win from a set down which she seldom does (unless she's pissfarting around against some lesserlite and decides to come back). This sort of match might blow the cobwebs out a bit.

Also I saw that Kvitova lost to Martic in straights. IIRC she didn't do badly in NY but it looks like she's really hit the skids a bit. Everyone thought she was gonna take over this year.

Also I saw that Kvitova lost to Martic in straights. IIRC she didn't do badly in NY but it looks like she's really hit the skids a bit. Everyone thought she was gonna take over this year.

If she played to her potential and cut a little bit of weight she really should be the best player in the world. Nobody hits it bigger then Kvitova with Serena maybe being the only one close. Should come with time and the right coach behind you would hope. I don't tend to read too much into results during the asian swing but yeah it hasn't been as good as we hoped.

Good for sam that li lost today. Li is #8 in the race, Sam #9 amd realistically she is the only player she can catch. so she will need to outperform her at every tournament for the next 3 or 4 weeks

She'll need a lot of help I think, tbh I think the bigger chance will be someone pulling out at the last minute, she does has a semi to defend at YEC.

Realistically she will have to win or make the final in Tokyo or China to be a good chance of making it.

She has started well against Sharapova, winning the first set 6-4 after being down 4-3 and a break in the set. Now 2-2 in the 2nd set.

Sam wins 6-4 7-6, but she tried hard to lose the 2nd set from so many winning opportunities.

Sam served for the match at 5-3 in the 2nd set, lost serve to love and then Sharapova served to love to get it back to 5 all. Then in the TB Sam had 5 match points and was in with a chance in in all of those points, but made UE on each of the match points. Except for the final point where Sharapova hit a backhand wide.

But with a 1-10 h2h record, getting the win is a great result and she will be really happy.

Now faces Petrova and Sam is a big chance of winning the title with only Petrova, Wozniacki, Radwanska and Kerber left in the tournament.

Huge win for Sam. As the head to head going on was 10-1. Even know Sharapova hasn't been plying well Sam should still take a lot of confidence out of this.

Lol Sam and her bloody match points. Anyway a win's a win, I only saw the first couple of games and she did seem to be playing well. That Azarenka loss at the USO was effectively as good as a win IMO. I think she realised something mentally in that match. I think some of these matches against the bean poles she used to lose before the match even started.

Sam was actually in her god mode for a little while in this match, was striking the ball beautifully, than at 5-3 in the 2nd she went into Sam mode and lol at that tiebreaker, WTA at it's finest.

Very happys he was able to Sharapova, hope she doesn't blow her shot at the title. Arguably matchup wise Petrova is the toughest (or maybe Kerber) but she can beat everyone left in the draw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam drops the first game of 2nd set on serve. Missed an easy open court winner.
To many errors she'll probably lose this match.

Sam went off the court for an injury time out in the first, it might explain something because she's playing rather crappily.
Petrova is so agro though, she cracks the shits even when she's winning. Cannot believe she played doubles with Sam at one point. All in all a good week with gaining a few points and a win over Sharapova, but I think she was planning to play quite a bit before YEC to try and get some points, so hopefully the injury doesn't cause her any issues.

Sam went off the court for an injury time out in the first, it might explain something because she's playing rather crappily.
Petrova is so agro though, she cracks the shits even when she's winning. Cannot believe she played doubles with Sam at one point. All in all a good week with gaining a few points and a win over Sharapova, but I think she was planning to play quite a bit before YEC to try and get some points, so hopefully the injury doesn't cause her any issues.

what was the injury. She seems to be moving fine. She just double faulted than for the 2nd time.

what was the injury. She seems to be moving fine. She just double faulted than for the 2nd time.

I'm not sure, the way she was being stretched maybe a side or back issue. I can't recall Sam really taking too many medical timeouts in her time either. Nonetheless, Petrova is playing very well today, but I don't understand why she gets so frustrated when she's winning....

Stosur in Beijing this week. She has a bye in the first round and either King/Goerges in the second. Goerges is a tought match up for Sam but has been in bad form so Sam should be able to get through if her injury isn't too bad.

Sam is on Europsort right now, just lost the first set 7-6 against Georges, played a pretty lol tiebreaker, has been a hit or miss match by both players so far.

And with Li beating Petrova and moving through to the 3rd round, it is looking highly unlikely that sam will qualify for the YEC in the #8 spot. Of course she may play a match as an alternate, but won't be able to defend her semi final points from last year. So hopefully she can accumulate some points in the next couple of tournaments.

I just started watching the last few games or so. Sam is not playing very well, Goerges has hardly won a match since the Olympics, she only just snuck past King in the last round, who herself has hardly won of late. Also, I hear she got another code violation, always swearing these days, how much do you get fined?:p

She yelled the f-bomb, very odd to see, I think she has been watching my tennis matches or something.

Sums up the year this loss, close but not good enough. 9th is the end of the ranking she deserves, the 8 ahead have had betters eason (well, duh)

I agree Matt. At the end of the day, she's been a lot more consistent than Stosur so she probably deserves to be there more. Lots of DFs today as well, not sure if that's injury related or not, she didn't appear to bothered by anything whilst I was watching. Maybe time to put the cue in the rack for the year if there's an issue...

She's still in Osaka and Moscow I beileve, if she won both of thsoe suppsoedly she could still be a shot at no.8 (providing Li loses soon). But let's just laugh at the possiblity of that happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back