Not open for further replies.

polo9

All Australian
Dec 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Interesting that they've got a fair few foreign players in that side, still expecting a comfortable win though.

lol @ "foreign players"

without even looking at the page, i bet most of these foreigners are born here or lived here the majority of their life

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Socceroo Mark Milligan signs a new deal as Melbourne Victory’s Australian marquee player

SOCCEROO midfielder Mark Milligan will become Melbourne Victory’s Australian marquee after the parties agreed a new three-year contract.

Milligan, 28, is aiming to overcome the disappointment of the World Cup, where injury saw him take no further part after the opening game against Chile.

The Victory captain, who is taking a well-earnt break, had a year to run on his deal but it’s understood Victory promised him an improved deal when they rejected several overseas offers last season.

Milligan, who was tempted first by a dream move to Premier League side Crystal Palace then a lucrative deal to the Middle East, said it would take a super opportunity to lure him away now.

While there were months of tense negotiations, his new deal — which runs until 2017 — supersedes his old one and sees him replace Archie Thompson as Victory’s marquee, after the veteran striker signed a reduced deal.

“I’ll be at Melbourne Victory next season. We negotiated a contract before I went away (to Brazil) and I’ll sort that out once I get home,’’ Milligan said.

“I’m really happy and they’ve come with a very good offer for me and I’m very excited about this season.
“We all consider things that come but now it would take a lot to lure me away.
“I’ve spoken to Kevin (Muscat) and the club and as I’ve said all along it was going to have to be something pretty special to uproot my family and leave Melbourne. ‘’

Milligan, who had been to two World Cups but not played a minute, was gutted when a hamstring strain ruled him out of the Netherlands game- he was an unused sub against Spain.

He felt the twinge at training after whipping in some crosses ahead of a likely move to right-back against the Dutch.

“I pulled up tight after the Chile game and then at training I did some things I’m not really used to and my body didn’t react,’’ he said.

“I don’t normally whip in a lot of crosses and my body was in shock.

“I was so close, if I had another day or two it would have been easier.

“It wasn’t something so serious that I had to go home, but it was serious enough to keep me out and that was the most frustrating thing.’’

Injury kep Milligan to one game in Brazil. Source: AFP
The arrivals of Carl Valeri and Besart Berisha, who fills the international marquee position, marks the start of the Kevin Muscat rebuild.

Whether Victory reverts to a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it will signal the end of the ‘false 9’ system introduced by Ange Postecoglou, with Milligan set to partner the intelligent Valeri in midfield.

“I’m very happy where I am, the signings we’ve made, we’re going to be very competitive this year,’’ Milligan said.

“Hopefully the World Cup has excited the people about our game again. I don’t think it was heading in the wrong direction, but it may have plateaued a bit, so hopefully this gets the excitement back.

“It’s not just what we’ve done but when players like David Villa are coming to Australia it’s absolutely massive.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...972771514?nk=b804a0d2dada707e7a76a46936688597

Great news!! Sure he is an underwhelming marquee but he has earned it I say lets hope he stays injury free!!

does anyone think our logo is boring and requires upgrade?

this is interesting

750px-Orlando_City_2012.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...City_2012.svg/750px-Orlando_City_2012.svg.png

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Well he'll be entertaining one way or another.

He Sure will be, he's what we have been missing sense Muscat retired aggression and *******!! Willing to sacrifice, doing whatever it takes.

Not to the extremes of Muscat on Zhara through but wearing his heart on his sleeve type if you know what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Whats the word on this Frenchie CB?

I dont get excited about CB's coming as I like Ansell as a player, but I do concede depth is good and we are weak in this spot.

Still need an attacking left sided player (to replace Troisi) IMO.

4-5-1 with the two holding mids, Gui in the middle, Barba and the new left footed maestro yet to be named on the wings and the Boss up front.

Probably more a 4-3-3 but you get the idea.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Our new centre back! Hopefully he makes less stuff ups then the previous guy.

Victory signs French ace

Experienced French defender Matthieu Delpierre will call Melbourne home for the next year, with Melbourne Victory confirming it has signed the 33-year-old defender to a one-year-deal.

At six-foot-four inches tall, Delpierre has proven himself as a commanding centre-back of the highest quality, having played 162 games with VfB Stuttgart in the Bundesliga, including leading the club to the League title in 2006/07 as captain, before most recently making an impact in Holland’s Eredevisie with FC Utrecht in the latter part of last season.

Melbourne Victory Coach Kevin Muscat said Delpierre’s time in Europe would add invaluable experience and leadership to his squad, having such a strong European football background, including captaining his club in the UEFA Champions League against some of the biggest football names, including Lionel Messi.

“Matthieu is a proven performer with experience at the highest level against some of the best strikers in Europe, so we know he has what it takes to be successful in the A-League,” Muscat said.

“I’ve certainly been tracking Matthieu’s progress over the past season and have been itching to get him to join us in the A-League, so now I am thrilled we are able to have a Bundesliga winner with us in our 10th anniversary season.

“He will provide real quality to our squad, while also imparting his football knowledge on to the younger players It’s also a bonus that he will be with us for pre-season and can be part of our FFA Cup campaign.

“We know he will have a big impact when we get underway in October, but first of all we’re looking forward to welcoming him to Australia and helping him settle here in Melbourne."

The Frenchman joins star striker Besart Berisha and midfielder Carl Valeri as new additions to Victory’s 2014/15 squad.

Delpierre said he was looking forward to making the move to Melbourne.

“I am really excited about playing in Australia and I’ve already heard so many great things about the fans and the Club,” Delpierre said.

“I know moving to the A-League will be a big challenge, but it is one that I am really happy about and I can’t wait to get started with Kevin and all the Melbourne Victory players."

Matthieu Delpierre
DOB: April 26, 1981
Height: 193cm (6’ 4”)
Position: Centre-back
Previous clubs:
FC Utrecht (Netherlands) - 2014
TSG 1899 Hoffenheim (Germany) - 2012 – 2014
VfB Stuttgart (Germany) - 2004 – 2012
Lille (France) - 1999 – 2004

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbournevictory/news-display/Victory-signs-French-ace/91077

polo9

All Australian
Dec 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
all this talk about Melb City yet we've signed 3 very good players that will make the stem of our team

an experienced CB that has played at the top level for years
a midfielder that has played 50 times for Australia
a striker that has been one of the best if not the best in the league for a few years now

oh and all 3 of these players will be playing past December :)

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
all this talk about Melb City yet we've signed 3 very good players that will make the stem of our team

an experienced CB that has played at the top level for years
a midfielder that has played 50 times for Australia
a striker that has been one of the best if not the best in the league for a few years now

oh and all 3 of these players will be playing past December :)

Thats the way. Looking forward to rolling City even when they have Villa + Lampard. Rest of their squad is rubbish.

I see all this talk of City.... But as I said to a mate yesterday. It's all well and good to get these stars, but what happens after the 10 games are up?
The arse falls out of the team again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back