2016/17 Perth Glory Thread-20 Years of Glory..Castro for Premier!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keogh is a good signing for you guys. Rated him quite a bit when he was at Wolves. At 28, his best shouldn't be physically past him yet. Could be a very nice replacement for Smeltz.

Anyone who can play more than 5 games a season is a nice replacement for Smeltz.

Perth Glory FC is pleased to announce that terms have been agreed with Serie A club, AS Roma, under which AS Roma has secured the right to sign exciting young midfielder, Danny De Silva, at the conclusion of the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League season for an undisclosed fee.

De Silva, who became the Club’s youngest ever professional player, when he signed for Glory in February 2013, and made his debut as a 15 year old the following month in a 2-1 home win over Sydney FC. He has since gone on to make a further 13 Hyundai A-League appearances for the Club and has already represented Australia at both U17 and U20 level, scoring his first goal for his country in a man of the match performance against Colombia during the 2013 FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey in a game that ended in a 1-1 draw.

The signing of the agreement with AS Roma was concluded last night after terms were agreed by both Perth Glory and De Silva with the Serie A club, and after a series of detailed discussions and meetings with the club in Rome during March.

Perth Glory CEO Jason Brewer said "This is a great opportunity for Daniel and is a clear indication of the talent that he has.”

“To have Daniel remain with Perth Glory for the upcoming 2014/15 Hyundai A-League season, is also a great result for the Club and I hope that our fans will get the opportunity to see him in plenty of action this year. This is also an important season for Daniel, who will be looking to establish himself in the Perth Glory team and will also want to impress ahead of the FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand next year. To start the season with this all now finalised is fantastic news,” Brewer added.

Perth Glory Chairman Tony Sage said "This is great news for Daniel and also great news for Perth Glory fans. Daniel will continue to play for Perth Glory this coming season as he continues to develop into one of the best footballing talents this country has ever produced."

De Silva will join up with the new Perth Glory squad for pre-season training in preparation for the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League on 18 June 2014

Perth Glory FC is pleased to confirm the appointment of former Club captain Jacob Burns as General Manager of Football.

Burns who retired as a Perth Glory player at the end of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season, will be responsible for a wide range of key areas within the Club’s expanded Football Department including youth development, player management, player research and football staff recruitment as well as key corporate partnerships and sponsorship arrangements with the A-League team.

In addition, Burns who has completed his AFC ‘B’ Coaching Licence, will work within the Club’s broadened coaching structure providing support to the Club’s newly appointed Head of Youth Football Development, John Gibson and will assist in a coaching role with the Club’s increased elite player pathway commitments and participation in the WA National Premier League and Foxtel National Youth League competitions, as well as the Club’s proposed Youth Academy structure.

"I feel extremely privileged to be continuing in a role at the Club that I'm so passionate about,” Jacob Burns said.

“I believe my experience and knowledge of playing top flight football over the past 20 years can add real value to the Club’s coaching structure and Football Department moving forward - providing strategic advice and Football knowledge and strengthening the link between the Football and administrative department.’ Burns added.

“To be able to be involved in Football and with Perth Glory after retiring last season is something I've always had ambitions to pursue. To get to continue to work with Kenny Lowe and the coaching team and be involved in the Club’s youth development as well as football administration is a wonderful opportunity. I have a Sports Administration Diploma and Business Diploma whilst currently doing my MBA to support such a move into the administrative side of the game.”

Glory CEO Jason Brewer was delighted to be able to confirm the appointment and believes that Burns can have as big an impact off the field as he did on it.

“It is immensely important to keep a person of Jacob's quality and ambitions at Glory. He is highly respected in the Football community both as a person and player. He is a great ambassador and role model for our Club, for our young players and for the game here in Perth. I am positive he will become a major asset for this Club in the years to come.”

“With Jacob joining the Football Department, we have addressed some of the key areas identified in our review of the Club’s coaching structure and Football department and ongoing operational requirements. I believe Jacob’s exceptionally high standards and work ethic, will assist the Club in regaining its winning mentality and creating the stability necessary for future successes.” Brewer added

Agree. Even though Edwards wasn't great I was willing to write off this season to see us develop our youngsters and game plan. Now that has gone out the window with these new plebs we signed who are taking their spots.

Sage needs to take his finger out his arse and sign a qualified coach with experience. We are never going to get anywhere by continually promoting assistants.

Also heard a rumour that the reason Burns holds so much power is because he has been offered a coaching role at the club once he retired as him and Tony seem to be good buds.
Called it a while back.

Naven also unfortunately gone. From what I heard he was a highly rated coach by many of of Glory players but was never one of Lowe's lads.

Oh dear.

Just over 1 year ago, they brought in Edwards who brought in Naven and Miller as assistants. Promise of long term plans with a youth policy and attractive football.

Now, we have Kenny Lowe and Jacob Burns.

At least I don't have to worry about going to ever watch them, ever again.

And another one of the boys club is staying on. I don't mind Stevie though and I think he will do alright in this role. He is a great bloke so working with the community is great for him.

Perth Glory FC is pleased to confirm the appointment of Steven McGarry in a dual role, as a member of the Club’s expanded Community Department and in a coaching role supporting the Club’s newly appointed Head of Youth Football Development, John Gibson.

McGarry, who joined Perth Glory in 2010, made 115 appearances for the Club, winning the Most Glorious Player Award in season 2012/13 and the Golden Boot Award last season. Prior to his move to Glory, he played over 300 Scottish Premier League games for St Mirren, Ross County and Motherwell. As a member of the Club’s Community Department he will work alongside Department Head Callum Salmon in expanding Perth Glory’s “Glory in the Community” programs. His appointment further reflects the dedication the Club has towards youth development, community engagement and the progression of Football in Western Australia. As part of his appointment he will also assume the role of Perth Glory FC Membership Ambassador for this seasons membership drive.

“I’d like to welcome Steven McGarry to his role with the Community Department of Perth Glory. Steve has fantastic experience of the game at all levels and has played with distinction throughout his career in the Hyundai A-League. He brings a very strong work ethic and has already shown his ability to connect and engage with the community and children from all backgrounds. He is a first class addition to our community team.” Community Department Head Callum Salmon said.

"I’m really excited and very much looking forward to starting my new role at the Club. It’s a fantastic opportunity to continue my involvement in Football and Perth Glory.” Steve McGarry said

“I’ve been working closely with the community team over the past few years and have been getting involved with the many initiatives they run. It’s imperative that the Club maintains and builds its strong links with the community and that’s something I really want to add to.”

“Whilst in the UK over the past month, I spent time at several clubs looking at how active their community departments are and what programs they are running. I hope in the coming months to be able to implement some of these fresh ideas and initiatives to strengthen our ties with the community further.” McGarry added.

In addition to his role in the Community Department, McGarry, who has also completed his UEFA ‘B’ Coaching Licence, will work within the Club’s broadened coaching structure providing support to the Club’s newly appointed Head of Youth Football Development, John Gibson and assisting with the Club’s WA National Premier League and Foxtel National Youth League teams.

“Western Australia has a fantastic track record of producing good young players, I've played with some great examples of this during my time at Perth Glory and I'm looking forward to working within the new coaching structure to produce the next generation of young stars under John Gibson and alongside Jacob Burns.” McGarry said of his coaching role.

Glory CEO Jason Brewer was pleased to keep McGarry involved at the Club and believes that his involvement in the Club’s youth development and community programs will further strengthen the Club in years to come.

“It’s great to have Steve still involved at the Club and in particular having him work with John Gibson in our restructured coaching and football department, as well as with Callum Salmon in the Community Department.

I honestly am unsure. I think the defense picks itself.

Vukovic

Jamieson, Thwaite, Clisby, Risdon

The midfield and strikers I am really unsure on. I'd say the only 3 in those positions that are probably certain starters are Sindei, Keogh and Hersi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All well and good signing these players. Does the club have the coach that can put it all together or do we just have an English fire and brimstone pleb.

Malaga friendly has been confirmed.

Perth Glory FC is pleased to announce that it has reached agreement with Spanish La Liga team, Málaga CF, to play them in a pre-season match at nib Stadium on Sunday 27 July.

The game, which is part of the 2014 LFP World Club Challenge, will be the first time Western Australia has hosted a La Liga team and will be the first opportunity Glory fans will have to watch the Club’s new signings including Mitch Nichols, Youssouf Hersi, Andy Keogh and Diogo Ferreira take the field with their new Perth Glory team mates in a competitive match.

Málaga, which was founded in 1904, is one of Spain’s oldest clubs. The club has played in the La Liga for 33 years and finished 11th in the league last season. Winners of the UEFA Intertoto Cup in 2002, Málaga qualified for the following season's UEFA Cup reaching the quarterfinal stages. They also qualified for the UEFA Champions League in 2012/13 under current Manchester City coach, Manuel Pellegrinio, where again they made it through to the quarterfinals losing out to eventual Finalist, Borussia Dortmond.
“It’s fantastic that ‘Los Boquerones’ will be coming to Australia for the first time in their 110-year history and that Glory fans will get the chance to see a top flight Spanish club playing here in Perth against their team” Jason Brewer, Glory CEO said.

“They’re going to be bringing a very strong squad to Australia, and this should make for an exciting and entertaining game, particularly given the new signings Kenny Lowe has made here at Perth Glory” Brewer added.

“We already have a tough preseason planned and we have been looking for a good challenge for the team ahead of the Westfield FFA cup game in Newcastle and this will be just that.”

“The La Liga is one of the strongest and most popular leagues in the world and I’m sure all football fans in Perth and each and every Glory supporter will relish the opportunity to see their team take on Málaga” Brewer added.

Kenny Lowe was also excited at the chance to test his team against the Spanish and said

“It will be a great test for the lads when we face Málaga, and will come just 3 days after our overseas preseason tour in Asia. It will be another step up for us as we prepare for our FFA tie with Newcastle Jets.”

“With the many new faces in the squad it will give the Glory fans an opportunity to get a glimpse of what we are looking to do, come the start of the season. It may just be a preseason friendly but we have every intention of going out there, showing the fans what we are all about and get ourselves a result against a Málaga” added Lowe.

The match against Málaga is part of the 2014 LFP World Club Challenge, which will also see Adelaide United take on Spanish team in Adelaide on 25 July. The matches, in celebration of the 85th anniversary of La Liga, will involve some of Spain’s top teams challenging top local opposition in Europe, South America, North America and Asia as a framework of a global “Spain Experience” to promote the worldwide values of football and Spanish culture.

Look out next week for the announcement of one of Norwich's favourite sons being named as a new signing too. Washed uo old pom we don't need but better than nothing I guess.

I kind of don't. I think we have a big enough squad and would prefer Mclaren to be back up rather than an 'old fashioned centre forward'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back