WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes
Having finally seen the video and not just read eyewitness accounts, I have to say that Shanny did get Nolan's non-suspension right, as much as it pains me to say it as a 'Yotes fan. Nothing more to do but wish Rusty a speedy recovery. (And shake my head and smile forlornly at Bisonnette.)

On a tangentially related note, I've always wondered if the NHL is slowly (very slowly) but surely moving towards a zero-tolerance, cut-and-dry type of situation, much like high tackles in the AFL? I've always liked how there's zero gray area with hits to the head are in footy, but on the other hand, the rule probably wouldn't translate to hockey quite as well, since a free kick and a two-minute minor are definitely not equivalent. So I suppose I've just talked myself in a circle and ended up back where I started.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Florida and Nashville "huge crowd" at their pre-season game today....

http://deadspin.com/the-florida-panthers-really-packed-em-in-for-their-pre-1327111553

You gotta be starving for hockey to watch pre-season hockey. But considering that this is Florida we're talking about, at 2.30 on a Monday afternoon in September, that's the sort of 'crowd' everyone would expect.

Gotta wait till the Snowbirds come in from Toronto before the Panthers and Bolts get crowds.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Oilers young brigade showing a glimpse into what could be an exciting future after dominating the Canucks in the 1st period.

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Miller in a fight... Never thought I'd see the day! Predictably, he got beat pretty well. Kessel's two-handed slash is certainly by no means inexcusable, and the match penalty is well-deserved, but Scott provided pretty much the perfect example of the instigator penalty, and before the puck dropped, no less. All in all, neither Kessel nor Scott handled themselves like pros out there, but it sure does make me love the Leafs/Sabres rivalry even more!

I was about to wrap up by saying it's a shame that the NHL, being the NHL, certainly won't release any fight footage from the two helmet cams the ref and linesman were wearing, but then it crossed my mind that perhaps those were HBO cameras following the Leafs for 24/7, so perhaps we will get to revisit this brawl from that perspective after all. Keeping my fingers crossed for that...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guys, unashamed plug for the feature I wrote at US Sports Down Under about the night I got to hang with Hall of Famer legends/Stanley Cup champs Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull!

http://ussportsdownunder.com/nhl-opinion/opinion-greatest-hockey-moment-life/

Nice moment there! And an even nicer avatar.

Rangers really need a good showing tonight in Vegas. Henrik's slow starts to the season is looking a big possibility, which combined with the Rangers road trip could be a recipe for disaster.

Can we score some goals for once?

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Rangers really need a good showing tonight in Vegas. Henrik's slow starts to the season is looking a big possibility, which combined with the Rangers road trip could be a recipe for disaster.

Can we score some goals for once?

I've been trying to convince myself that this poor preseason showing won't carry over to the regular season the way you just mentioned... Last night was just painful. I'd been hoping the lack of goal-scoring was a Torts thing, not a Rangers thing, and then, well, that game happened. Glad we've finally got Stepan back with the team, though, and Callahan can't be back in the lineup fast enough.

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
I've been trying to convince myself that this poor preseason showing won't carry over to the regular season the way you just mentioned... Last night was just painful. I'd been hoping the lack of goal-scoring was a Torts thing, not a Rangers thing, and then, well, that game happened. Glad we've finally got Stepan back with the team, though, and Callahan can't be back in the lineup fast enough.
Hard to gauge pre-season form with line-ups all over the place. Must admit I've been surprised by the number of fights and general "goon" stuff that has gone on though....

WLD42

Debutant
Sep 14, 2013
New York, USA
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hard to gauge pre-season form with line-ups all over the place. Must admit I've been surprised by the number of fights and general "goon" stuff that has gone on though....

Buffalo vs. Toronto was an anomaly, but other than that it's been pretty standard fare from what I've seen. Not sure how familiar you are with preseasons, but oftentimes kids (and others) will view fighting as a way to make an impact on a coach. Whether or not it actually makes a difference on their chances of making the cut, I couldn't tell you, but the preseason generally sees quite a few willing combatants.

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

It's a good thing Cally's recovery has been quicker than anticipated. Yeah the lack of scoring is concerning given AV's system but with Hagelin's speed, Cally's grinding and Step's play making, fingers crossed we get more quality looks.

I'm not really concerned about the goals against, as our defense is stacked with Girardi, MacTruck, MDZ, Stall, J.Moore and Stralman in front of the King.

Nash needs to pull his head out of his ass but.

Looking forward to seeing a top two line combo of:

Hagelin Stepan Nash
Callahan Brassard Zuccarello

Do you get to many games WLD?

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a good thing Cally's recovery has been quicker than anticipated. Yeah the lack of scoring is concerning given AV's system but with Hagelin's speed, Cally's grinding and Step's play making, fingers crossed we get more quality looks.

I'm not really concerned about the goals against, as our defense is stacked with Girardi, MacTruck, MDZ, Stall, J.Moore and Stralman in front of the King.

Nash needs to pull his head out of his ass but.

Looking forward to seeing a top two line combo of:

Hagelin Stepan Nash
Callahan Brassard Zuccarello

Do you get to many games WLD?

Hard to imagine an AV side that can't score goals. Lots of BC boys think he was hard done by to get the sack. Give him six months but I'd be amazed if they don't make the top three in the Metro division.

RuFiO

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2006
Neverland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
\m/ Babymetal \m/ New York Rangers
Hard to imagine an AV side that can't score goals. Lots of BC boys think he was hard done by to get the sack. Give him six months but I'd be amazed if they don't make the top three in the Metro division.
Don't know if you've watch us a lot or not, but we can't even score on an empty net.
We're so inept offensively it's not even funny.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not seen much hockey yet this season with the AFL finals happening...watched some Leafs but it's just preseason stuff. See what happens when the season starts.. just looked at what the NYR start with...ohh nasty roadtrip! Is MSG getting renovated?

Kitch85

Team Captain
May 10, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Rangers, Giants, USC, Lakers
Not seen much hockey yet this season with the AFL finals happening...watched some Leafs but it's just preseason stuff. See what happens when the season starts.. just looked at what the NYR start with...ohh nasty roadtrip! Is MSG getting renovated?

The final stage started this summer. Will be awesome inside when it's done!

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The final stage started this summer. Will be awesome inside when it's done!

I've been to the Garden pre transformation and after phase 2. The difference was incredible, the new sky bridges they have up will be interesting in addition to the sweet new screen.

10qbb48.jpg

2lazrs6.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back