2013 IAAF World Championships in Moscow

Remove this Banner Ad

The great Ezeikel Kemboi won the 3,000m steeplechase to give him 3 world champs gold to go with his 3 silvers and 2 Olympic golds and goes down as the greatest steeplechaser of all time.

It was a bit tighter than 2012 and 2011 victories as per the videos I put up in my earlier posts but he still ended up in lane 3 or 4 as he crossed the finish line.

Gutsy effort from Zoe Buckman, finishing 7th in the 1500m final. She was right up there for the majority of the race, just faded a bit over the last 150m.

Effort she can definitely be proud of. Only 24, so a bright future ahead if she can replicate and improve on her performances at these world champs!

Kirani James 7th in 400m final :eek:

incredible. haven't seen it. seems like he just blew up.

what do you guys reckon of sally's chances? was gonna put a bit on her for a bit of fun but $3 is way to under for mine. $4.50+ should be about right.

The american's have carved up the track but that US Championships meeting seems a bit of a false economy for mine. Times across the board in that meet were top drawer and the only one that's improved at the top end has been LeShawn Merritt in the 400.

12.26 has Rollins leading all comers this year but can't see her getting close to that. Harper yet to be beaten in the Diamond League and the won to beat IMO.

I think she's a bit of an outsider - just too many injuries to get her speed up. Hasn't been able to do the work. These days, it's almost impossible to hit you peak without an injury-free season. Being just a couple of percent under done turns you from being a potential medallist to a hopeful semi-finalist. Look at Aires Merrett - unbeatable last year, World Record - this year, lucky to make the final (an only got there because about 4 other top-liners were missing).
I agree with what you say about the times at the US champs - Eugene has always thrown up some ridiculous times. Of course, part of the reason for that is the US champs (sprints) are pretty much at the level of a World Champs - and you have to finish in the Top 3. Managing your season to peak twice (US Champs and World Champs/Olympics) brings a few undone. It becomes a long season.

The relay run. The first baton change was poor by us and Russia yet we finished 2nd and they finished 1st. Great run by 400m hurdler Tristian Thomas.

Heat 3

Interview

All 3 relay heats

Sally ran a season best 12.62 to win her heat by 0.09 and second fastest to Rollins in 12.55 in the heats.

The Javelin girls did well both throwing auto qualifiers with their 2nd throw. Kim Mickle threw a PB 65.73m in heat B and Kathryn Mitchell threw 62.80m a season best in heat A. Mickle won her heat and Mitchell 3rd in hers but 5 other girls only needed one throw to automatically qualify.

65 metres will go close to winning a bronze.

The men's high jump was insane last night. Bondarenko passed on 2.38 and ended up jumping 2.41 and missing out on the wr after 2 really good attempts. Very impressive performance by my man barshim to get 2nd.

mo farah winning so surprises there. i haven't seen it but good for my punters club as we had him backed in. what about the time? you just simply can't beat farah going at such a slow pace. he's always going to be too quick coming home, they ran the last 600 in 1.22 which is blisteringly fast. the first 3k was in 8 and a half minutes.

with 3 really good kenyan runners in the race they need to attack, stretch him out and not allow him to come home with that sort of speed. hagos gabriwehet at 19 is going to be some runner in years to come. another ethiopian taking over from gabresellesie and bekele.

Finally, Pearson runs something close to her best form. Her semi was far, far better than her heat (although only .12 faster). Looking like she's getting back to form.

Should be good final - Rollins is still the one to beat, and Harper showed that of the top 2 slip up at all, she'll pounce. Bob Kersee (Harper's coach) is an absolute genius at getting his athletes to run their best when it counts.

Yeah both were clean but Rollins looked so much smoother.

I think a 12.35 --> 1240 will win it. Harper pushed Sally for 8 or 9 hurdles before Sally open up a metre gap.

The Ethiopians didnt let Dibaba and Defar compete against each other at the World Champs. They wanted to guarantee 2 golds and said Dibaba only ran the 10,000m.

Defar 5,000m record

Olympics
2004 Gold
2008 Bronze
2012 Gold

World Champs
2003 heats - 19 years old born November 1983
2005 Silver
2007 Gold
2009 Bronze
2011 Bronze
2013 Gold

Ran 10,000m in 2009 and finished 5th

Dibaba
Olympics 5,000m
2004 Bronze
2008 Gold
2012 Bronze

World Champs
2003 Gold - 18 years old born June 1985
2005 Gold

Olympics 10,000m
2008 Gold
2012 Gold

World Champs
2005 Gold
2007 Gold
2013 Gold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow start from Rollins but caught sally on the 8th hurdle

Sally did a season best and Porter from Great Britain did a PB for bronze.

Reaction times were interesting
Rollins 0.263........ 12.44
Pearson 0.154.......12.50
Porter 0.149..........12.55

Kenyan throwing for bronze in the men's javelin. I think that might be a first for me to see a Kenyan win a field medal at Olymics or world champs.

Rollins just too fast today - no excuses.

And Bolt is now completely taking the piss - he even jogged the final! He's just far too good. He ran hard for 120 metres, cruised for 50, and then had a light walk.

Great effort by Kimberley Mickle to take silver in the women's Javelin. Threw a PB 65.73 by more than a metre to make the final and the another PB 66.25 in her second throw and 66.60 for her final throw to win silver. Also big effort by team mate Kathyrn Mitchell to throw 63.77 a season best and only half a metre shy of her PB to take 5th spot. The Russian and favourite Abakumova who threw 69m with her first and only throw to auto matically qualify but in the final threw 65m with her first throw and struggled from there on and only threw 58m on her final throw.

Rollins just too fast today - no excuses.

And Bolt is now completely taking the piss - he even jogged the final! He's just far too good. He ran hard for 120 metres, cruised for 50, and then had a light walk.

Bolt ran a 19.66 the world leading time and probably could have run a 19.40ish. By my TV he ran the first 100 in 9.8, an amazing bend. Here are his splits for Beijing 19.30 and Berlin 19.19

http://speedendurance.com/2009/08/21/usain-bolt-200-meter-splits-speed-reserve-and-speed-endurance/

berlin2009beijing2008usainbolt200msplits-thumb.jpg

The Jamaicans win the men's relay but it was a little shaky. 37.36 is the 6th fastest of all time. 4 of the other 5 are Jamaican relay run with the USA's 37.04 in London for silver being equal second with the 2011 Daegu world champs time of Jamaica.

The Brits were in front in the back straight but they stuffed up their 2nd change over. The Jamaicans 2nd change over wasn't smooth and the yanks were about 1m in front before the final change over.The yanks change over wasn't great. Pretty sure Gatlin went into Bolt's lane and almost hit him but Bolt in no time put 3m on him and that was the winning margin. The relays Bolt doesn't show boat and strethes and leans at the end.

Bolt now has done the treble 4 times 2 x at Olympics and 2 x at World champs
2008 Beijing 100m WR, 200m WR, 4x100m WR

2009 Berlin 100m WR, 200m WR, 4x100m 2nd fastest at the time

2012 London 100m (2nd fastest ever), 200m (= 4th fastest ever) 4x100m WR

2013 Moscow 100m world leading for 2013, top 20 ever, 200m world leading top 20 ever, 4 x 100m world leading time and 6th fastest ever

Even in 2011 Dageu when he stuffed up the 100m his 200m time of 19.40 was then the 4th fastest - Blake ran the 2nd fastest a 19.26 a couple of weeks later and 4 x 100m was a WR.

The relay was missing Blake, Powell and Michael Frater.

So Bolt is slowing down a bit but still dominates.

He now has 8 gold and 2 silver at world champs which outstrips King Carl's 8 and 1 and Michael Johnson's 8 gold and zero minor medals.

King Carl will be whinging he lost his title and will probably go on about how 1983-87-91 were 4 year gaps and only got benefit of 1993 being 2 years. He didn't go to 1995 but went to Atlanta 1996 and only competed in long jump and won that for 4th consecutive time.

Here is an interesting article from SpeedEndurance.com on why Kirani James might have run so poorly. LaShawn Meritt's 43.74 was a PB for him.

Why Did Kirani James Lose?

If you saw the race, you probably had your jaw wide open in disbelief, Kirani James finishing 7th in 44.99!
Mine was too, until I checked their splits.

I had LaShawn Merritt split the first 200m in 21.2 when he normally goes out in 21.5 or slightly higer.
21.2 is fine when your PB for 200 is 19.98. Kirani James 200m PB is 20.41.

With Kirani James one lane behind Merritt, he was keying off him, but I’ll bet he didn’t expect the pace to go that fast.

Running a successful 400m depends on several factors, most notably, (1) speed reserve, (2) good lactate tolerance, and (3) running your 200m splits with the differential that is best for your body.
I’ve covered the importance of speed reserve in several articles.

One has to look back at Innocent Egbunike “pulling” Butch Reynolds to a World Record (back then it was 43.29) with a suicidal opening fast 200m.

So I think Kirani just ran out of gas the last 60 meters because he ran that first 200-250m too hard. He’s human, these things happen.

In most cases, you run your first 200m one full second slower than your 200m season best (not personal best). LaShawn Merritt usually runs it 1.5 seconds slower, but today he ran that first leg less than one second slowerthan his 200m best. He may have taken a gamble, and possibly dying on the homestretch, but his training with coach Loren Seagrave proved otherwise. He knew his splits. He knew what he was capable of. And just executed.

The IAAF installed RFID chips in the bibs, and set up 4 sensors at each 100m mark, so hopefully we will get the IAAF official splits.

Why Did Kirani James Lose?

Interesting. I always like to see a race won using a bit of nous. You are supposed to 'run your own race' - but if you can get into the head of your opponent and make him NOT run his race - I reckon that's good. It's not just time-trials. James isn't the first, and he won't be the last to get caught up in the moment and forget how to run. (Rick Mitchell 1980 - that one still hurts).

The American women lost the 4x400 by not knowing the rules. The third runner tried to pass the Russian on the inside of the home straight, didn't get past, and had to drop back to pass to her team-mate who was standing in Lane 2 (correctly according to rules). Lost about 5 metres on the change-over - lost race by 2 metres. The Russian might have baited her, by leaving a bit of a gap.
What is interesting is reading the Track And Field News forum where plenty of posters are arguing about the rules and saying 'We don't have that rule in our college champs!'. Well, derr, - if you run in an International comp, you have to obey the International rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back