2013 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing quite like starting early chaps...

Good article out of SA regarding their top prospects.

Most would already know about Aish and Matt Scharenberg popped up last year as an under ager.

For some reason Alex Spina is ringing some bells but I can't put my finger on why.

Anyway, here is the article to kick off this year's thread.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ls-class-of-2013/story-e6freckc-1226598534290

I'm hearing that there's going to be a lot of quality coming from South Oz this year. Hopefully some come our way. We have drafted so many talented players from SA over the last 15 years.

Should be a really intriguing year - (relatively) uncompromised draft, potential for a fair few spots opening on our list, and some positional needs going forward. I would think a ruck of some description would be a priority, although it'll be interesting to see whether or not Wells goes high or low in the order for him.

Is the accepted consensus, 4 rucks on the main list or 4 + 1 rookie?

I said it last year, I really think Vardy is more forward so taking another ruck wouldn't be a biggie imo.

That said, I suspect Simpson is gone at year's end unless he does something amazing later in the season so that would ensure a ruckman is drafted or traded for.

That's my feeling. McIntosh's acquisition gives some breathing space because you'd assume they'd rather play him as No 1 with one of West or Vardy at No 2; means a future No 1, which Simpson would presumably be, could be given further development in the VFL. But if this back problem persists...might be time to move him on and hit the well again. Could also depend on whether or not Pods hangs up the boots at the end of this year. If he does it allows Vardy to be played at CHF and they could draft another ruck even if Simpson stays on.

As you guys have alluded to I reckon much of our draft strategy will be dependant on our injury status by the end of the year. If all of Simpson, McIntosh and Vardy have ongoing concerns then we will be forced to go tall - in fact we will be forced to either trade or get a ruck as a FA. I would imagine that Pods will be encouraged to go another year if Vardy doesn't come up. I suppose you have Kersten in the wings but I see him more as a 3rd tall rather than KP.

Who do you see coming off the list at years end? Corey, Chappy, Cowan, Simpson....?

Corey I think will hang up the boots.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Enright also hinted this might be the last time he goes around.

Chapman seemed to think he had two years left in him (hence the desire to secure a 2 year deal). Form & injury might determine his fate.

Simpson I reckon is gone (personally I would have tried to off-load him last year during the trade period and kept Stephenson as the back-up 4th choice).

Cowan is in real danger with his latest set-back.

Schroder I suspect is in the gun a bit (shame as I think he can play).

I also still have some concerns about Brown as well...particularly about how he fits in to the side. His pre-season form has made me eat my words a bit but I still struggle to work out where he fits when we don't have many injuries. He might very well ask to be traded if he doesn't get much of a go this year. What happens with Pods might drive this decision a bit.

That's me spit-balling.

Forgot about Brown. He's a tough one to assess. Is a future forward line comprising Hawkins, Brown and Kersten as the "talls" workable?
Add Vardy into that equation as well.

Brown's under contract for next year, but I agree that there's a strong chance of him requesting to be traded again. But on current form you'd think he's a good chance to play 6+ games this season either forward or back - for mine he's been the standout with GHS of the younger brigade this preseason.

All of Chappy, Corey, Enright, Hunt and Pods are out of contract IIRC. I think all could go or all could stay (real insight, I know). If all go though you'd think Schroder and Cowan would survive, unless the later's achilles problem is terminal.

EDIT: Maybe not actually. The Roar has our FAs as Corey, Chapman, Enright and Stokes.

EDIT Mk II: The Hun has Hunt on that list as well, which makes sense. I assume Pods hasn't played enough to qualify.

I don't know if 6 or so games would cool Brown's heels if he did indeed request a trade.

Should be interesting. Got no issue with Brown's form (and coming from me that is something as I'm not one of his flag wavers) but I really struggle to find a place for him either forward or back.

One of the big issues of having a deep list, people don't get chances. I can understand why he might look elsewhere, especially if his body is right and he continually plays well in the VFL (and no doubt some clubs would come knocking as well).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be a consensus , that at years end we will be going tall. What type of tall probably depends on the confidence they have in West, Vardy etc. If they feel they have someone who can do the job they can bak a kid for a year or two. If not then Id say FA type , or at least some one who can ruck to the level immediately. Previous years we have thought we were weak in certain areas and with in a season our whole mindset has changed.
So lets hope that all 4 come good fast and stay good , and Blitz can become icing.

I don't know if 6 or so games would cool Brown's heels if he did indeed request a trade.

Should be interesting. Got no issue with Brown's form (and coming from me that is something as I'm not one of his flag wavers) but I really struggle to find a place for him either forward or back.

One of the big issues of having a deep list, people don't get chances. I can understand why he might look elsewhere, especially if his body is right and he continually plays well in the VFL (and no doubt some clubs would come knocking as well).
I think if he gets 6 games as a block and the coaches are able to say 'This is where and how we see you playing over the next 3-4 years' it might help. Although he's playing a lot better than I expected I'm still slightly frustrated with the Rivers signing, as it's exactly that kind of role that Brown would be playing.

I think if he gets 6 games as a block and the coaches are able to say 'This is where and how we see you playing over the next 3-4 years' it might help. Although he's playing a lot better than I expected I'm still slightly frustrated with the Rivers signing, as it's exactly that kind of role that Brown would be playing.

I think, to be fair, that when they signed Rivers they knew they need someone immediately to fill that role, but that there had to be real doubts about whether Brown would have the ability or physical aggression necessary to do it immediately, if ever.

After 2012 , I wonder if this regular , annual thread should be draft , trade and Free Agent Watch?

Looking at the list currently , the FA players available at years end there seems few rucks. Cox the only name that stands out.

On Brown , he should play as often as possible. Rivers and Taylor have shown an ability to play further up the ground , id not be against the idea of using them further forward at times and having Brown cover them. The advantage is when playing him back with them still in the side , we have a fall back position if he starts to get knuckled. No one doubts his talent and if we can convert him into a player then our rebuild does become a little easier, as it means less long term tallish picks. The same probably applies to Blitz. If he really can become , it really frees them up.. for them to just pick who ever appeals. (I do think we will looking at ruck options)

Come years end (2013) , as much as we all think something , do we really expect Wells and team to go for something other than another Enright, Duncan, Thurlow type? He has shown a preference , has he not and its hard to disagree. They seem so flexible, so adaptable that it gives our pick the best chance of success, even when a late R1. Perhaps another to replace Corey , a tough running tallish mid ... any ideas who that will be this year? Gee that Vlastuin(Rich) last year would have been handy.

Come years end (2013) , as much as we all think something , do we really expect Wells and team to go for something other than another Enright, Duncan, Thurlow type? He has shown a preference , has he not and its hard to disagree. They seem so flexible, so adaptable that it gives our pick the best chance of success, even when a late R1. Perhaps another to replace Corey , a tough running tallish mid ... any ideas who that will be this year? Gee that Vlastuin(Rich) last year would have been handy.

Chris Scott has made it clear that he requires his players to be flexible. He has thrown Harry Taylor forward with some success, and Pods in defense. Travis Varcoe and Motlop have been tried at 1/2 back to generate run. And there may be others that I cannot recall off the top of my head. But so far Scott has been true to his word on bringing on the youth and trying out some players in different positions.

I think that the thing with talented Med talls like Thurlow, Menzel and Duncan is their versatility. Menzel has shown that he can play back or forward (although I think that he is a natural attacking player and prefer him forward), and I think that Thurlow will be similar after a season at the Cats and a summer in the gym. They could probably all be able to have a run in the center too. (don't mention the knees).

As for Vlastuin, I don't know if it was Piv or Jester who was pumping him up prior to the draft but a strong bodied "in and under" mid of similar ilk would be on the radar for the next draft I would think. Especially if someone like Schroder does not prove to be a candidate for AFL this season.

Don't be surprised if we go after a GWS kid that might want to return home. Wells has shown a preparedness to trade a first round pick for a highly rated young kid - I wonder whether Wells will look at enticing someone like Shiel or Hoskin-Elliott or Tyson or Treloar to the club. That would pretty much complete our young midfield group with Selwood, Caddy, Christensen, Duncan, T.Hunt, Horlin-Smith, Varcoe, Guthrie, Smedts and Thurlow.

We do need to look at another ruck and a tall backman.

The recruitment of Rivers has bought us time, and we have Hamling developing nicely, but we will lose all of Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers within a few years of each other (remembering both Lonergan and Rivers turn 30 next year) so we really need to be looking at taking another tall kid soon. Brown might be a option but he might be that third tall as Jester has suggested rather than a really big bodied back that we will need.

Another ruck is essential too whilst we have 3 on our list that have ongoing injury concerns. Simpson you would think is in his last year if he can't get on the park. McIntosh is really just a band-aid solution for a few years. Vardy looks to me more likely to play as a KPF or at best second ruck/resting forward. I'm not convinced that West will be a long term solution as a first ruck - he is more your second ruck which he did so well in 2011.

Didn't a lot of their "gun" talent re-sign recently?

I seem to recall a big announcement where a number of their players were trotted out stating they had signed extensions.

I know trades can still occur but we'd have to do something special...and I don't expect us to have a top 10 pick at year's end.

Another ruck is essential too whilst we have 3 on our list that have ongoing injury concerns. Simpson you would think is in his last year if he can't get on the park. McIntosh is really just a band-aid solution for a few years. Vardy looks to me more likely to play as a KPF or at best second ruck/resting forward. I'm not convinced that West will be a long term solution as a first ruck - he is more your second ruck which he did so well in 2011.
Don't be silly mate, Dawson Simpson is the f**king second coming of Polly Farmer the way some of our posters crap on about him.

Why the hell would we need another ruckman??

Oh yeah, probably because Simpson (unless he actually shows something when/if he ever gets on the park this year) is likely to be cut at year's end.

...but a strong bodied "in and under" mid of similar ilk would be on the radar for the next draft I would think.
I know people don't see it but I still maintain that Shane Kersten could potentially be transformed into this sort of player.

People lack imagination at times. His path is similar to Ling, he has a similar body shape to Ling when the Paddle Pop lion arrived at the Cattery.

One thing Kersten has that Ling doesn't though is a bit of toe (at least over a short distance).

I SO can see Kersten playing as a midfielder in the future if he is open to the idea.

Especially if someone like Schroder does not prove to be a candidate for AFL this season.
Schroder breaks my heart. I really think he can play and is the type of guy you're suggesting.

A big bodied, inside clearance player.

But he has been passed by and I'm struggling to see him remaining at Geelong next season.

I wonder if he is fit enough (or has worked on his fitness enough - a tough call considering it is coming from a guy sitting at a keyboard who hasn't really done any serious fitness work for a while).

If he could get fitter....if only he was fitter....

After 2012 , I wonder if this regular , annual thread should be draft , trade and Free Agent Watch?
Yep, especially after our work in the F/A period.

I wonder whether 2012 was our go at FA for a little while? If we don't win the flag this year will we continue to rebuild through the youth rather than "top up" through free agency? You'd think so.

I reckon Pivot that there is a chance Kersten could be used as a mid. Depends I suppose how you see our forward setup into the future? He certainly resembles Pavlich in body shape who has been successfully used in stints in the midfield. I think though he's a fair way back in the pecking order at the moment. I see him more likely to get senior game time this year anyway as a third tall forward. It would be good though if he had the tank to be part of our midfield rotation at times.

Piv , very early on after his drafting I mentioned a similar line of thought on Kersten. So I'm totally onboard with you.He seems the type (Lingish) that could really mess up opponents with his midfield mark , float forward and goal (Lingish) but to add perhaps longer kick and a bit more pace.

At a min , it would give him another way into the side. He desperately needs that "in" imo. Even when Pods goes , we could see Hawk & Vardy playing as talls , Menzel as the "inter" forward type and plenty to choose from for smalls. Once in the side he can blend in.

YOTC , I tend to think we will attempt to use FA as a way to fill immediate holes in our side. We will still build long term so I see the "top up" still occurring when our kids look like they have failed or have fallen over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back