2013 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the Chris25 and snoop call. Don't want to go on about her too much but let's just say she holds herself in very high regard.
Fair enough, I don't really know anything about her so can't comment one way or the other but you aren't the first person I've heard say things along those lines.

Have a feeling we may be beaten to Acres by Sydney..
You need to lose that feeling.

If he gets taken before we get a chance it'll just confirm to me that, despite missing a lot of the year, the kid can play.

I'm trying Piv. Those old Geelong feelings of negativity and pessimism never completely leave you though :(
Remember back to the days of exams.

You've done all you can, now just relax and see how it all unfolds.

In a midfielder's draft, Wells will probably take two tall forwards and a ruckman. :D

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wells go with Dunstan. He's a "safe" pick. Captain of the SA U/18, he has leadership written all over him. He would be a great fit down at the cattery, and will develop into a great player and leader if drafted by us IMO.
Could go a multitude of ways.

I've heard us being linked to Acres, Dunstan certainly has his fans and now we're seeing some groundswell for Jones.

So Wells will call out a name that'll make us all instantly post - "who??" :eek:

I was reading the AFL website at work today and saw that Cal Twomey had Zak Jones down as our pick 16 in his phantom draft. If Zak Jones ends up being anywhere near as good as his older brother, then I think we'll get value from our 2013 first round draft pick should we select him. Considering that Nathan has played all of his footy at Melbourne, one wonders whether he was one of the lucky few in the last decade drafted by Melbourne whose potential wasn't chewed up and spat out by their system, or whether he still somewhat stagnated to some degree despite his football achievements so far.

One thing I am pretty sure about is that had we drafted Nathan Jones, he'd right now be one of the premier midfielders in the competition. Zak may or may not be anything like his brother, and it's certainly fallacious to predict his worth based solely on his brother's achievements, but it's interesting to speculate nonetheless that if he's at all similar to his brother, then it's not unreasonable to hope for a player of similar ilk and same bloodline to develop to a level under our system which would be commensurate with our expectations of a first round draft pick at the very least.

I was reading the AFL website at work today and saw that Cal Twomey had Zak Jones down as our pick 16 in his phantom draft. If Zak Jones ends up being anywhere near as good as his older brother, then I think we'll get value from our 2013 first round draft pick should we select him. Considering that Nathan has played all of his footy at Melbourne, one wonders whether he was one of the lucky few in the last decade drafted by Melbourne whose potential wasn't chewed up and spat out by their system, or whether he still somewhat stagnated to some degree despite his football achievements so far.

One thing I am pretty sure about is that had we drafted Nathan Jones, he'd right now be one of the premier midfielders in the competition. Zak may or may not be anything like his brother, and it's certainly fallacious to predict his worth based solely on his brother's achievements, but it's interesting to speculate nonetheless that if he's at all similar to his brother, then it's not unreasonable to hope for a player of similar ilk and same bloodline to develop to a level under our system which would be commensurate with our expectations of a first round draft pick at the very least.

Twomey has updated his draft to Acres for our first choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Taylor has a couple of fans in here (unless people have pulled a Twomey) but I have to say I'd be disappointed if we took him and Acres, Dunstan, McCarthy or even Jones were still on the table.

He just doesn't do it for me.

I know Taylor has a couple of fans in here (unless people have pulled a Twomey) but I have to say I'd be disappointed if we took him and Acres, Dunstan, McCarthy or even Jones were still on the table.

I think someone like the Dees might jump on him, lest he be regarded as this year's Selwood. I don't mind him he just looks like a littler Sam Mitchell. But that's the problem.

Yeah, agree. As always having the Wells stamp of approval goes some way but he just doesn't seem a great fit.

If available, I'm expecting Geelong to select in this order:

Sheed - 99% sure he will go at picks 10 or 11.
Freeman - Confident Collingwood will look at him. Potential to slide, but don't hold your breath.
Dunstan - Huge chance to be in the hoops tomorrow. Great leadership, great contested player. All the traits Stephen Wells looks for in a footballer.
Dumont - Similar to Dunstan, except I think the fact Dunstan has natural leadership and captained SA in the championships will appeal.
Acres - Not unlike Wells to select a bloke like this, but I think he will start replicating the 01 formula. We have Duncan, Motlop, Murdoch etc so our outside run isn't looking too bad. We need some contested players to give Selwood, Caddy, Christensen a chop out in the middle.
Crouch - Averaged 37 possessions a game at TAC level. Not polished, but he's accomplished. An outside chance.
Z Jones - I'm not buying into the hype just yet, Nathan was a considerably better player at the same age IMO.

If available, I'm expecting Geelong to select in this order:

Sheed - 99% sure he will go at picks 10 or 11.
Freeman - Confident Collingwood will look at him. Potential to slide, but don't hold your breath.
Dunstan - Huge chance to be in the hoops tomorrow. Great leadership, great contested player. All the traits Stephen Wells looks for in a footballer.
Dumont - Similar to Dunstan, except I think the fact Dunstan has natural leadership and captained SA in the championships will appeal.
Acres - Not unlike Wells to select a bloke like this, but I think he will start replicating the 01 formula. We have Duncan, Motlop, Murdoch etc so our outside run isn't looking too bad. We need some contested players to give Selwood, Caddy, Christensen a chop out in the middle.
Crouch - Averaged 37 possessions a game at TAC level. Not polished, but he's accomplished. An outside chance.
Z Jones - I'm not buying into the hype just yet, Nathan was a considerably better player at the same age IMO.

Acres can win inside ball. He didn't this year because he was playing with a damaged shoulder.

Yeah, agree. As always having the Wells stamp of approval goes some way but he just doesn't seem a great fit.
I certainly don't hate Taylor but I just prefer others to him.

If Wells thinks Taylor is the guy then I'm not one to challenge but...well, I suppose all will be revealed soon enough.

I wonder what my chances are of seeing a key defender's name called out? Gardiner might be sliding a bit. Does he slide down to #36?

Wouldn't be a bad snaffle.

I certainly don't hate Taylor but I just prefer others to him.

If Wells thinks Taylor is the guy then I'm not one to challenge but...well, I suppose all will be revealed soon enough.

I wonder what my chances are of seeing a key defender's name called out? Gardiner might be sliding a bit. Does he slide down to #36?

Wouldn't be a bad snaffle.

Giles at 36? Sully at 41?

Acres can win inside ball. He didn't this year because he was playing with a damaged shoulder.

As an inside player, Acres has nothing on Dunstan/Dumont/Crouch IMO.

But he has more inside/outside than any of them.

Our focus should be the best contested mid at our pick - and in that case there should be better than Acres available.

This is all my opinion.

As an inside player, Acres has nothing on Dunstan/Dumont/Crouch IMO.

But he has more inside/outside than any of them.

Our focus should be the best contested mid at our pick - and in that case there should be better than Acres available.

This is all my opinion.

Acres played this year with a busted shoulder and even after hurting it again in the champs played out the game. Pretty hard to display your inside game when you are being played outside to preserve the shoulder. Last year his inside game was excellent, he is fearless and runs straight lines. Is he as good a pure inside as the others? Probably not, but when you add in the other things he can do the others can't, I'd rather that than a one trick pony like Crouch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back