2013 SEQAFL Division 4 Central

Jun 2, 2007
Well Round 1 has been and gone with only 2 matches and it looks to be another year of blowouts with some sides barely giving a yelp.

This system where you can't move up a Division if you don't have the numbers for a Reserves side is really making a mockery of the div 4 comp as a result, with some clubs simply too strong.

Round 1 results

Colly Park beat Kenmore by 95 points

Redbacks beat UQ by 154 points

Agreed. Coll Park might be big improvers based on that result. The Devs are looking forward to our first hit out against Kenmore. Bring on season 2013!

Ominous start to the season by Zillmere- watch out, they'll only get better.

Agreed. It was a great start, as we felt we fielded a decent team and just couldn't get the job done.

It was a really enjoyable contest, and despite the scoreline I felt it wasn't just one way traffic all day. Zillmere were just much cleaner with the ball, had very strong structures in place and at one point had 14.1 on the board! Very hard to break through that full ground press with a wet footy and we just couldn't do it.

Really good bunch of blokes too, we stuck around for a few beers afterwards and even a free bit of cake! Had a good chat about the umpires too, its hard to be critical of blokes for being 'too good' but we had a couple of blokes obviously used to umpiring a higher standard and they were plucking free kicks and 50m penalties from every where, both sides had no idea what was going on.

the protected area rule needs to allow for us old slow blokes to get the hell out of there before we get pinged, we can't all run like Patty Dangerfield!

Zillmere certainly laid the benchmark though and gave us something to aim at, we were missing about 6/7 from our best side - so its hard to guess how close we could get, but certainly would have made no difference to the result on the night. It was ominous early when Danny Dickfos clunked 2 big grabs when the ball was like a cake of soap, but our CHB had a great game on him in the end.

Looking forward to cracking in again a few more times this season.

Well it was a bit of a slog in our first game. Lots of water, but our second oval held up ok underneath the surface water. Kenmore showed plenty of fight and based on their first game score have already begun to improve. Our boys played well after getting our discipline under control 3 x 50 penalties resulting in 3 shots on goal did not help. But overall it was a pretty even contest. Our boys maybe had a bit more in the legs in the last quarter over the older bears players. Their coach 'Killer' played a handy sweeping roll across half back while their ruckman is a big unit. A good spread of good players across the park for us with our backline solid through the match. Looking forward to our next game against the woodsmen.

In other results I was a little surprised with the UQ v Coll Park result after the round 1 scores. Could be an interesting race for final spots after Zillmere.

I think there will always be surprising results and margin in this division due to the massive gap between a teams best side and worst side.

This year we have 40 players, which is a great result. (Although even by Round 1 we only had 25 available!)

With everyone paying fees, and the way we like to operate our club - its not just about picking the best 22, everyone has to get a game, otherwise we will never attract anyone new.

So one week we might have 22 decent experienced footballers and the next week we might have a mix of blokes who have never played before, a mix of golden oldies and a few guys in their 2nd year, and everything inbetween.

I'm sure most Div 4 clubs are exactly the same, so until finals come around its very hard to get a good guide as to what each clubs best 22 looks like.

We want guys to come down who have never played before, we basically want anyone who wants to be part of our group that is a good bloke - but they won't come along to pay fees and sit around and watch, so we have to (and want to) pick them.

Zillmere certainly had an impressive array of talent, both young and old though! Old Dickfos running about the arc with little 15 year old wingers who have never had a cramp ripping us to bits!

So despite there being 2 rounds completed, looks like an 8th side is going to be added to Div 4 this season.

Despite this probably causing some administrative dramas, I reckon it's a great decision by AFLQ to allow it to happen.

Welcome Kedron!

So despite there being 2 rounds completed, looks like an 8th side is going to be added to Div 4 this season.

Despite this probably causing some administrative dramas, I reckon it's a great decision by AFLQ to allow it to happen.

Welcome Kedron!

Will they be entering straight away? or will they wait till all teams have had a bye before allowing kedron in?

Ghee this page is quiet. A good win by the devs on Friday against long time rivals Jimboomba. Not sure I've ever been involved in a win over them before. And I've been around for a long time. Thommo I see you guys had a good win over local rivals in Kenmore. The competition is shaping up nicely with every team on the board with a win. Interested in seeing how the new boys in UQ and Kedron go. But first a big game this Friday against Collingwood Park.

It's going to be a year of inconsistent results I think, with sides having good numbers and a huge variance between their best and worst sides and everything inbetween.

we were certainly surprised to read about Yeronga getting one over the Redbacks, well done! We haven't beaten them since the 2009 GF and Semi Final wins I don't think, or not that I can recall.

As an example about the inconsistencies. We have 40 players this year, possibly more. We made 15 changes from Round 2 to Round 3 and we don't have much of a clue what our best side looks like at this stage!

We got 3 or 4 back on Friday that we would consider in our best half dozen though, and that made an enormous difference. However, we also left out 3 or 4 that are definitely in our best 22, just so everyone gets a game. Its a hard balance to find at this point, but history tells us that numbers will drop off due to injury and other committments during the year - so its good to get everyone a game early.

It's rubbish if you take rego off a bloke, have him down at training every week and never play him though - so we will always endeavour to rotate our squad to ensure fairness to our players, no matter how good or bad.

Even though the scoreboard shows we accounted for Kenmore easily, it didn't feel like it. Felt like an enjoyable game, good contest - just we had a bit more polish up front and our half back line was very hard to penetrate.

I think the days of regular 100 point beltings being the rule, rather than the exception are gone in Div 4, which is great. It was only a few years back when there were 6 sides, 3 competitive with each other and games against the remaining 3 were training runs where you would move your entire backline to the forward line for the 2nd half just to ensure they raised a sweat.

few more rounds in and Zillmere juggernaught showing no signs of slowing with another 25 goal win on the weekend.

From memory Round 5 saw Devils take out Colly Park by around 100 points, Woodsmen get one over Jimboomba away from home (which was a sweet victory) & Kedron put up a good performance against Kenmore.

Hopefully we can all keep improving and a few clubs give Zillmere a good hitout, not much fun playing for 2nd!

This Div is looking a lot healthier these days. More teams, More competitive results. Obviously its Zillmeres to lose at present. Good to see the GF teams haven't been decided in April for a change. Hopefully Woodsmen and Yeronga can bridge the gap to make a watchable final series.

Zillmeres best 22 appears untouchable with multiple former AFL listed players playing Div 4!

But those old bodies may not get through the season, then again they have a bunch of gun 16 year olds too!

Multiple? Who's the others apart from Danny? Looking forward to our match up with them. But first we have our first clash against UQ at home. 6pm Friday start will be interesting. Hope my boss gives me an early mark.

Matt Waters was drafted by Brisbane in 96, but I don't think he ever played a senior game.

Pretty sure there is another one, but his name escapes me.

They also have Zeidler, who must be in his 40's by now, but hasn't gotten any smaller or softer. Still a big bruising hard nut and a solid 6'5+ ruck that can still get around the ground. Played in flags for Wests in the mid 90's so he aint a spring chicken!

Fuller/Rogerson are decent players and some of their young blokes are lightening quick and very skilful. I reckon we should change the rules to minimum Age 18 in Div 4!

Edit: Yep, Waters drafted in 95, not 96. Never played a game though. He's bloody good though!

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-brisbane-lions?year=1995

Cheers mate. Plenty to keep an eye on. A few games to worry about before them. Got the undefeated Kedron coming up soon too. Exciting times for Div 4.

A public service announcement:

If you would like to catch a local game of football this evening, there is a Triple Header at Yeronga:

* Div 2 Seniors - Yeronga V Caboolture - Downs Oval (Field 1), 7:45pm
* Div 2 Reserves - Yeronga V Caboolture - Stevenson Oval (Field 2), 7:00pm
* Div 4 Central - Yeronga V UQ - Downs Oval (Field 1), 6:00pm

We're looking forward to a top night of community football. Hopefully, we may see some of you there.

Matt Waters was drafted by Brisbane in 96, but I don't think he ever played a senior game.

Pretty sure there is another one, but his name escapes me.

They also have Zeidler, who must be in his 40's by now, but hasn't gotten any smaller or softer. Still a big bruising hard nut and a solid 6'5+ ruck that can still get around the ground. Played in flags for Wests in the mid 90's so he aint a spring chicken!

Fuller/Rogerson are decent players and some of their young blokes are lightening quick and very skilful. I reckon we should change the rules to minimum Age 18 in Div 4!

Edit: Yep, Waters drafted in 95, not 96. Never played a game though. He's bloody good though!

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-brisbane-lions?year=1995

They appear to be rotating a few of the older blokes in and out of the side. I saw Peter Wolfe played a couple of weeks ago - arguably the best midfielder in the local comp in his day.

This raises an interesting question if Zillmere goes on its merry way to a Div 4 premiership. My understanding is they can't move up to Div 2 or 3 without having a reserves side. I know they want to progress up the ranks, but how much longer can they rely on the old blokes?

As far as I understand it, the main reason for re-starting the senior side was to give their youngsters a chance to stay at the club. I don't know that they have promotion as a real aim. Having said that, giving out 20 goal thrashings each week probably isn't great for the youngsters' development either.

However, you are right that they can't rely on 40+ year olds for ever. That club has relied on those stalwarts for a really long time. Dan Dickfos and Matt Waters played in the Eagles' premiership side 18 years ago!