Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

The way I remember it he was one of the least talked about of the top 15. There was talk aswell that if he wasn't picked at 11 by West Coast he could have slid into the second round. His Larke Medal won him some hype but after that broken collarbone he slipped under the radar.

Inside mids rarely come good in the first year, but Sheed's was pretty underwhelming even considering. Looked slow and a bit of a squib. Hopefully that's just some lasting effect of his collarbone which will wear off. He seems to be in much better condition than this time twelve months ago so hopefully that leads to some improvement. I don't think he is that comparable to Priddis as alot of people suggest but the fact that he is slow and an average kick doesn't bode well. :p

IIRC a few respected junior watchers here placed him very high in their rankings. He was a bit of a BF lovechild, hopefully he starts to show why in years to come.

To be Richmond indulgent for a minute, interesting that majority of posters so far have rated Lennon above Ellis. Lennon has a divine skill set but seemed a bit meek at the contest in his first year. Ellis is more of a contested player but has a similar skill set, as such I think he'll be the better player long term.

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Petracca
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Brayshaw
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bontempelli
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > De Goey
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Scharenberg
7 - Aish v Ahern > Ahern
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald
9 - Salem v Moore > Moore
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Freeman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11 - Sheed v Duggan > Duggan
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Lennon
13 - Cripps v Weller > Weller
14 - McCarthy v Lever > Lever
15 - Jones v Garlett > Jones
16 - Lang v Durdin > Durdin
17 - Apeness v Langford > Langford
18 - Dunstan v Heeney > Heeney
19 - Acres v Boekhorst > Acres
20 - Leslie v Laverde > Laverde
21 - Impey v Goddard > Goddard

2 - Kelly v Petracca > Kelly
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Marchbank
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish
8 - McDonald v Wright > Wright
9 - Salem v Moore > Salem
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Cockatoo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Ellis
15 - Jones v Garlett > Garlett
17 - Apeness v Langford > Apeness

I know.

Tom Boyd's playing stocks have dipped considerably since he elected to come home. It's quite funny reading the criticism of him - apparently an 18 year old KPF should dominate right off the bat. And if he doesn't then he's no good.

Go back to the GFC board around 08 - 11. You will see what people think of a developing KPF. He got murdered. He had some supports but just as many tore him apart. And im sure that the every other board is the same too with plenty of examples.

Of course now, they are all on board. But get used to it, the fickle monday morning armchair QB's have a lot to say.

GO Catters

6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Marchbank
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish
8 - McDonald v Wright > Wright
9 - Salem v Moore > Salem
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12 - Lennon v Ellis > Ellis
17 - Apeness v Langford > Apeness
Why would you take Brayshaw ahead of billings?

Going purely off u18 form you would have to take Brayshaw. Billings has looked like a gun though. I saw a stat the other day that showed he was the most accurate kick in the AFL. You can't complain with that.

Personally I find the Aish vs Ahern one interesting. I think they are similar players but Ahern is more damaging and hits the scoreboard more often - but everyone seems to think Aish.

No disrespect to Billings, I just think Brayshaw will be a very good footballer. A Travis Boak type. Billings wouldn't be far behind though - reminds me of Nathan Brown a bit. It could easily go either way really, like most of these comparisons.

Going purely off u18 form you would have to take Brayshaw. Billings has looked like a gun though. I saw a stat the other day that showed he was the most accurate kick in the AFL. You can't complain with that.

Personally I find the Aish vs Ahern one interesting. I think they are similar players but Ahern is more damaging and hits the scoreboard more often - but everyone seems to think Aish.

How can you say that. Billings and Aish were both dual AA underagers. That's AA as under agers and in there draft year. Runs on the board one would think.

Boyd vs MaCartin >Boyd
Kelly vs CP > Kelly
Billings vs Brayshaw > Billings
Bonty vs Pickett > Bonty
Kolo vs DeGoey > kolo
Sharenberg vs Marchbank > Marchbank
Aish vs Ahern > Aish
Macca vs Wright > Macca
Salem vs Moore > Salem
Freeman vs Cocky > Cocky
Sheed vs Duggan > Sheed
Lennon vs Ellis > Lennon
Cripps vs Weller > Cripps
MaCarthy vs Lever > MaCarthy
Jones vs Garlett > Jones
Lang vs Durdin > Lang
Apeness vs Langford > Apeness
Dunstan vs Heeney > Heeney
Acers vs Boekhorst > Boekhorst
Leslie vs Laverde > Laverde

Darcy Lang will be an absolute rip snorter!
I know we all pump up our own if given the opportunity but having watched this kid play a couple of times last year, he has something special. Tough kid too. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he in Geelong's best 22 by the end of the season. Capable of playing a multitude of different roles which is becoming a rarity for players 183cm in size these days.

Was very happy to see Lang have a good hit out Vs GCS. Many have listed Durdin as their preferred and Durdin may well be very good but Lang will surprise many I feel.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > KK
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Scharenberg
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald
9 - Salem v Moore > Moore

12 - Lennon v Ellis > Lennon
17 - Apeness v Langford > Langford
21 - Impey v Goddard > Goddard

The way I remember it he was one of the least talked about of the top 15. There was talk aswell that if he wasn't picked at 11 by West Coast he could have slid into the second round. His Larke Medal won him some hype but after that broken collarbone he slipped under the radar.

Inside mids rarely come good in the first year, but Sheed's was pretty underwhelming even considering. Looked slow and a bit of a squib. Hopefully that's just some lasting effect of his collarbone which will wear off. He seems to be in much better condition than this time twelve months ago so hopefully that leads to some improvement. I don't think he is that comparable to Priddis as alot of people suggest but the fact that he is slow and an average kick doesn't bode well. :p
He is a pretty damn good kick. It stands out at training and so far this preseason. Like Gaff but with better vision and length

How did he go in your Nab/ intra club games. Go for many four bounce runs kick any goals from well outside 50 from a set shot.

Boekhorst is a gun and will be in our senior team very early in the season.

How did he go in your Nab/ intra club games. Go for many four bounce runs kick any goals from well outside 50 from a set shot.

Boekhorst is a gun and will be in our senior team very early in the season.
Yes because we measure Acres talent on his intraclub & practice match form.
And sorry mate, but Boekhorst isn't a gun.

Yes because we measure Acres talent on his intraclub & practice match form.
And sorry mate, but Boekhorst isn't a gun.

So how have you measured his talent. From what I've seen he looks ok but doesn't have any real standout attribute.
I would say he got a good kick on him and is an ok mark. Not overly quick for a player who is more outside then inside correct me if wrong.
BB can play and he has some real weapons.
If he buys into what Mick and Co would saying and use his pace as defensive weapon too we will have a player.
He has real speed and can kick the footy really well at full pace.

How has Acres preseason been is he best 22 if so where will he be played this year?

So how have you measured his talent. From what I've seen he looks ok but doesn't have any real standout attribute.
I would say he got a good kick on him and is an ok mark. Not overly quick for a player who is more outside then inside correct me if wrong.
BB can play and he has some real weapons.
If he buys into what Mick and Co would saying and use his pace as defensive weapon too we will have a player.
He has real speed and can kick the footy really well at full pace.

How has Acres preseason been is he best 22 if so where will he be played this year?
So Acres looks ok, but a guy who has yet to play AFL 'can play and has some real weapons'.....
I'm glad you're happy with him mate, it allowed Goddard to slide to us and we are stoked with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back