Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bulldogs should of been patient with Boyd

If I was in charge would of waited 1 more season, get the best of both worlds

Kept Pick 6, and poss got 2nd Rd pick from GWS that Demons gave them in exchange for Griffen

Giving Dogs pick 6 and three 2nd rd picks

Wait one more season whilst every club knows he wants to leave and will be offering him similar money? An entire year of speculation, Gws knows he's leaving the whole time.Maybe Carltons 'handshake agreement' comes to fruition. 40% chance we get him if we wait a year. We bit the bullet and got the best result we could and I'm stoked we did.

Wait one more season whilst every club knows he wants to leave and will be offering him similar money? An entire year of speculation, Gws knows he's leaving the whole time.Maybe Carltons 'handshake agreement' comes to fruition. 40% chance we get him if we wait a year. We bit the bullet and got the best result we could and I'm stoked we did.

Maybe your right, just figured no team would be able to match Bulldogs offer including Blues

I just see teams love to look for the next Carey at every opportunity, often selecting the young KPF's ahead of the players who become much better footballers, in this case I at least had the balls (or stupidity) to name a few players who I think will have better careers and become the better player.
a bit of fun looking back in years to come, I could be right who knows.

You had the balls to make the call? so brave. Every team in the league would have taken Boyd where they did so are you saying you have more cajones than every AFL club?

I do get what you are doing though. However I could say Caleb Daniel will be top five in this draft retrospectively too. I wouldn't call that a "fun" call, just ambitious.

You had the balls to make the call? so brave. Every team in the league would have taken Boyd where they did so are you saying you have more cajones than every AFL club?

I do get what you are doing though. However I could say Caleb Daniel will be top five in this draft retrospectively too. I wouldn't call that a "fun" call, just ambitious.

AFL clubs get it wrong regarding KPF's all the time, Kosi, Fraser, Bradley, Gumby, Hansen, Watts, Kreuzer, Thorp, Dowler These are just a few top 6 picks, AFL clubs reach too much for KPF's because they want the next Carey, truth be told often the young mids who go early end up the better players, whether Boyd would have been selected by all 18 clubs is not the point, maybe they all would have who knows, but the true question is will Boyd be the best player from his draft which I doubt he will be, just hope Boyd lives up to the hype because most fail to do so.

Honestly I believe Bontempelli will be close to the best from 2013 AFL draft, this kid has it all, if he puts in the hard yards he will leave Boyd in his wake.

Caleb Daniel should have been a 1st round pick, there's no question in my mind, the kid gets so much footy which is a great start, Swan, Priddis, Watson, Rockliff recruiters all seen their negatives, without looking at how they read the game.

The thing with most young KPF's is they have massive holes in their game, in the TAC Cup there are rules that preventtall players from being exposed to AFL style defensive structures and plays (ie. double teams).

Development is even more crucial with a tall than with a mid sized player.

In the case of pretty much all talls taken early you can see why they were taken at that pick, but through poor development they don't always become the player they could.

I also picked Salem over Moore, reason being I just don't think Moore has the ability to read the play, lacks footy smarts, which is why the doesn't get much footy.

from a earlier post of mine

I will put it out there, I would take Lever, Petracca and Langford ahead of Boyd, unpopular opinion? yes, but to me they look like they will be the better players, hell I also think Collingwood got it wrong picking Moore at 9, I believe Langford will be the better player, (not because he's at Essendon either), Moore struggles to read the play something Langford does extremely well, a skill often overlooked, stats will also clearly show the discrepancy. I honestly don't think Moore will make it as a forward at AFL level.
But that's just my opinion, without the benefit of hindsight.

The Reason Moore did not get much of the Footy is because he played most of his Game down back and a Purer Shut Down defender and Majority of the Time he just did that. Did the same thing when he Played his 1 game in VFL. Played as Purer Stopper and did not worry about getting the Footy.

Moore has some great Footy Smarts. His last 2 games in the Finals at CHF was massive and was a Massive Reason why they won those 2 games.

I read the Moore does read the ball very well.

Info Here:

“He is just a very competitive player and I think he is very proud of his performances and there is no doubt he reads the ball very well in flight, where he has able to defend strongly or mark the ball. His athleticism enables him to get back on to the ball quickly and get involved in the next contest. He’s got exceptional leg speed for his height and athleticism so he can play in both areas of the ground. It will be interesting to see where he forges his career because he is very capable at playing either end,” – Mark Smart, Oakleigh Chargers regional manager, Herald Sun, 6 October 2014.

The thing with most young KPF's is they have massive holes in their game, in the TAC Cup there are rules that preventtall players from being exposed to AFL style defensive structures and plays (ie. double teams).

Development is even more crucial with a tall than with a mid sized player.

In the case of pretty much all talls taken early you can see why they were taken at that pick, but through poor development they don't always become the player they could.

I never blame the development, the player is responsible for his own career, if they put in the hard work it ends up paying off.

I never blame the development, the player is responsible for his own career, if they put in the hard work it ends up paying off.

A player doesn't inherently know how to play AFL football, they need direction - obviously good development and a lazy player won't equal a good player though.

Maybe your right, just figured no team would be able to match Bulldogs offer including Blues
I reckon Carlton and St Kilda would of offered what we did for a start.

If we waited twelve months I'm almost certain we wouldn't of got him.

I reckon Carlton and St Kilda would of offered what we did for a start.

If we waited twelve months I'm almost certain we wouldn't of got him.

Probs right. Tom Boyd's old man did have a handshake agreement with Sticks that Tom was coming to Blues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No real proof just word of mouth, your probs right might not of ever happened

Well at Christain Pettrecca pretty much said at the Draft Combine he would love to Play for Collingwood.

Though I am 99.9% sure he won’t be Traded to Collingwood at end of the Year.

Kids love to play for the Team the Barrack for but chance of that Happening is Highly Unlikely

Well at Christain Pettrecca pretty much said at the Draft Combine he would love to Play for Collingwood.

Though I am 99.9% sure he won’t be Traded to Collingwood at end of the Year.

Kids love to play for the Team the Barrack for but chance of that Happening is Highly Unlikely
Once they're in the system, it doesn't really mean anything.

Nathan Hrovat was mad Collingwood. He extended his contract with us within a year and he already wants to sign again. Declan Hamilton was a Crows fan (nephew of the Jarmans) and he was stoked to get out of South Australia.

Once they're in the system, it doesn't really mean anything.

Nathan Hrovat was mad Collingwood. He extended his contract with us within a year and he already wants to sign again. Declan Hamilton was a Crows fan (nephew of the Jarmans) and he was stoked to get out of South Australia.

Agree - Once in the System Players never really ask to be Traded to the Team they Barracked for.

I can’t think of many players that done that.

Hrovat might be tad Pissed we Picked Kennedy and Broomhead ahead of him

Agree - Once in the System Players never really ask to be Traded to the Team they Barracked for.

I can’t think of many players that done that.

Hrovat might be tad Pissed we Picked Kennedy and Broomhead ahead of him
You choose really weird times to use a capital letter.

Just going to do the top 10

1 - Boyd v McCartin > McCartin - His attitude we see him very quickly go past Boyd and stay there
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Petracca - Big bodied midfielder who loves to kick goals, yes please
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Brayshaw - This was lineball, really would be happy with either one
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bontempelli - Bonts is pure magic
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > Kolodashnij - Based purely on his name, doesn't get any better than that.
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Marchbank - Injuries decided this one
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish - What a steal at 7
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald - F/S pick, would have gone top 3 for sure
9 - Salem v Moore > Salem - Cool as a cucumber,
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Cockatoo - I friggen love this kid and I think he will end up being the best from this draft

Just for giggles:

1 - Boyd v McCartin > Boyd - Consensus no 1 unlike McCartin, bigger and was far more dominant as a junior
2 - Kelly v Petracca > Kelly - Going against the grain a little, Kelly is a running machine and super-professional
3 - Billings v Brayshaw > Billings - Billings just looks to have that little bit of undefined special quality
4 - Bontempelli v Pickett > Bontempelli - Bonti is a freak. 196cm now!
5 - Kolodashnij v De Goey > Kolodashnij already looks settled into senior AFL football
6 - Sharenberg v Marchbank > Sharenberg if he can beat injury, freak
7 - Aish v Ahern > Aish is a gun, slid
8 - McDonald v Wright > McDonald in a canter. Big fan of this kid
9 - Salem v Moore > Moore, lineball
10 - Freeman v Cockatoo > Cockatoo - Freeman had far more exposed form as a junior and looks set for a big one

Maybe i misread, but what was the 'Carton handshake deal with GWS' all about?

Some fan fiction on BF about how Carlton had a deal in place to get Boyd at the end of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back