2014/15 Capital One Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a quick squiz at the match report and they played a pretty strong side on paper (though definitely probably rotated/selected the team with an eye on future fixtures). That being said, after losing on the weekend, you'd have expected they wouldn't want to bounce back with a 3-0 loss either!

Tim Howard
Tony Hibbert
Bryan Oviedo
Antolin Alcaraz
Sylvain Distin
Aiden McGeady
Darron Gibson
Luke Garbutt
Muhamed Besic
Christian Atsu
Samuel Eto'o
Romelu Lukaku (s 46')
James McCarthy (s 58')
Leon Osman (s 81')

Geeze, more embarrassing for Everton than I thought.

Geeze, more embarrassing for Everton than I thought.

Hibbert hasn't started in forever, Gibson's been out for a year, it was Atsu's second game, Oviedo was on the brink of forced retirement, first start for Besic, it was about Garbutt's second game & Alcaraz is Alcaraz. If anything it was expected

Hibbert hasn't started in forever, Gibson's been out for a year, it was Atsu's second game, Oviedo was on the brink of forced retirement, first start for Besic, it was about Garbutt's second game & Alcaraz is Alcaraz. If anything it was expected

Howard, Distin, McGeady, and Eto'o are all pretty capable, with Lukaku, Mccarthy and Osman off the bench hardly slouches.

How strong was the Swansea line up?

Howard, Distin, McGeady, and Eto'o are all pretty capable, with Lukaku, Mccarthy and Osman off the bench hardly slouches.

How strong was the Swansea line up?

Back up keeper played & a couple of other fringe players, but I'd say stronger than we did. Dyer is in some kind of form too

Back up keeper played & a couple of other fringe players, but I'd say stronger than we did. Dyer is in some kind of form too

Fair enough then, like I mentioned originally though I doubt you guys were taking it too seriously regardless of your line up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hibbo is timeless, like fine wine.

willy
sagna demi nasty clichy
lampard evans
sinclair pozo kolarov
dzeko

is something i expect to line up. possibly fofana in place of evans. pozo has been included in the squad so it's safe to assume he'll be involved somewhat. always cool to see the youngsters, so a few more might be involved.

If we weren’t in such poor form I think a couple of kids might have got a run. Hopefully this side gets the job done early and any good performers can come into the starting XI for Saturday’s game.

Vorm
Naughton – Kaboul – Fazio – Davies
Stambouli – Paulinho - Bentaleb
Townsend – Soldado – Lennon

With two defensive type midfielders around him surely Paulinho won’t put in another ghost performance and might put his hand up for a game in the league. Neither of the two English wingers should get a look in so they should get 90 minutes here. A good performance from Naughton, Davies or Stambouli could see them come in for Dier, Rose and Dembele who have been pretty average of late (harsh on Dier as he is being played out of position).

We're no shot to win the league so may aswell win a cup. If those three teams get knocked out, it will be easier to do so.

I agree with this. It's a genuine chance of silverware, one of four trophies on offer each season.

I understand the view of "it's good we're out, now we can focus on the other competitions", but from an Arsenal point of view, this has never been vindicated. What's the point in saying "yes, now we can focus on the league/champions league" when we never win either of them. Once again, our only genuine chance of a trophy this season is the FA Cup.

Personally, I think it's a bit arrogant for some clubs to think they're 'above' the League Cup. There's no sense of entitlement when it comes to trophies IMO.

A club with our resources should have the ambition and ability to challenge for every single trophy on the table.

Well this is awkward...

City put 7 past Sheffield Wednesday. It was 0-0 at half time :eek:

Hull went down 3-2 to WBA.

Yeah I woke up at 5, saw our line up, tried to get a radio stream, and snoozed through it with just the goal alerts on Sky Sports to tell me when there were goals. Was hardly surprised to lose but to concede two right at the end was a bit annoying. Not much correlation to our recent league chokes because it was an entirely different 11, but I question bringing Maguire on for Meyler right at the end which was right before the 2 goals. Should have brought Huddlestone on rather than change shape with a debutant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back