Opinion 2014-15 Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He's improved a great deal since our last tour to England and was likely our bowler of the series.

Would be very harsh not to take him, not to mention who are our other options at Test level?
He appeared better this series. Had a lot of help from foot holes (which all spinners will capitalise on) but Lyons problem is he's an absolute bunny when he has no assistance in the pitch.

Guys like boyce, doherty, agar etc need/needed extended chances like Lyon was given for no reason.

Guys like boyce, doherty, agar etc need/needed extended chances like Lyon was given for no reason.

Sure I can understand that, but we have 2-test matches before the Ashes - not enough time to give anyone else an extended go.

He appeared better this series. Had a lot of help from foot holes (which all spinners will capitalise on) but Lyons problem is he's an absolute bunny when he has no assistance in the pitch.

Agar no with terrible first class bowling figures, Doherty has poor recent red ball record, Boyce yes, but his first class form is world defining/beater.

Sure I can understand that, but we have 2-test matches before the Ashes - not enough time to give anyone else an extended go.
And that's exactly what I mean.

We can't NOT play Lyon now because he has been left in the side even though he can't spin the ball on a track that doesn't have potholes in it.

Speaks more of an error of the selection committee than anything.

Plenty of young spinners coming through that should be groomed for the role because they're seriously dangerous on any track.

And that's exactly what I mean.

We can't NOT play Lyon now because he has been left in the side even though he can't spin the ball on a track that doesn't have potholes in it.

Speaks more of an error of the selection committee than anything.

Plenty of young spinners coming through that should be groomed for the role because they're seriously dangerous on any track.

I generally like your cricket opinions, you're pretty spot-on, but you seriously think Dudherty should have been given a longer run in the test team? The very fact that he got anywhere near the Australian test team was an abomination...

I generally like your cricket opinions, you're pretty spot-on, but you seriously think Dudherty should have been given a longer run in the test team? The very fact that he got anywhere near the Australian test team was an abomination...
Doherty could of been anything, in his hey day was an absolute ripper. Never got a shot though.

At State level Doherty and Lyon were very even, but Lyon got the shot.

Not saying he should get a shot now, talking years back.

Will concede he's gone down hill quickly in recent years. Still a ripper in T20 though.

Boyce is my choice, is a wicket taker and a dangerous spinner.

On a different note, how about some of the work of the fielders near the rope in the BBL?

Even Dougie Bollinger having the presence of mind to avoid contact with the rope while touching the ball. And Wessels all but took an amazing outfield catch but had to deliberately grass the ball because he was going to land on the rope and concede a boundary.

Amazing quick thinking by the fielders. They must practice this stuff.:eek:

On a different note, how about some of the work of the fielders near the rope in the BBL?

Even Dougie Bollinger having the presence of mind to avoid contact with the rope while touching the ball. And Wessels all but took an amazing outfield catch but had to deliberately grass the ball because he was going to land on the rope and concede a boundary.

Amazing quick thinking by the fielders. They must practice this stuff.:eek:
They field better than the test team do.

As a general rule I hate 20/20 cricket but I seen a little of the game between Sth Africa and West Indies very late last night and Chris Gayle was absolutely smoking them. Sth Africa made an enormous 231 and the West Indies chased it down with 4 wickets to spare with du Plessis making 119 off 56 balls, Gayle making 90 off 41 and Samuels making 60 off 39. The West Indies were 70 off just 5 overs. It's only a matter of time until a team makes 300 in a 20/20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see Pattinson bowling well and Cummings aswell hope we see them bowling in Tests in the near future...

All out for 80! Game should be over pretty quick, pretty much the reason why I'm not a fan of 20/20
You're aware this doesn't happen often right?

Heat are like the bangladesh/dees of the BBL

20/20 is a game of extremes. Extremely brilliant fielding - extremely bad mistakes, extremely innovative shots - what a goose!, he's bowling hand grenades - he's bowling pies. Mistakes are magnified. Last night there were a couple of crazy run outs that you wouldn't see in park cricket.

I'm a traditionalist but I love the BBL too. It's heaps better than 50/50. I don't really follow any team - I'd probably follow the Stars were it not for their chairman - so it makes for a relaxing experience.

Also, it's only a matter of time before someone (bowler on the follow through, youngster, oldie in the crowd) gets cleaned up by a lightning bolt shot from a batsman. Last night it was nearly Dan Christian but he ''caught'' it inches from his face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back