2014-15 EPL Matchday 16

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be Arsenal. It's always Arsenal. They'll get their s**t together when they really need to.

1) If we can manage to get a full strength team on the pitch we could probably get some form going.

2) We just have to buy in the Jan window. We need another Center back and another midfielder.

I'm probably the most optimistic Arsenal fan on here and even i cant see us making 4th without new players.

I don't think United are assured a top 3 finish. We aren't playing good football. It's messy and a whole lot of luck so far. Still not close to our best 11 either.

We're getting results though, at the end of the day that's all that matters.

At the end of the day yes but it would be nice to look dominant.

Not even close IMO. Can't see beyond City, Chelsea and United for top 3. 4th spot is a battle between who out of 3 or 4 sides wants to bottle it the least.
Arsenal mate. Give me your bank account details and I'll transfer you fifty bucks if the top four at the end of the season isn't (in no particular order) City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal...

All this talk of transfer committee being at fault is just ridiculous, if Rodgers has his way even more than now, he'd have Ashley Williams, Michel Vorm, Lovren and Bertrand in defense. It can't get more midtable than that

Allen and Borini are absolutely hopeless, too. The guy needs sacking, he's out of his depth

All this talk of transfer committee being at fault is just ridiculous, if Rodgers has his way even more than now, he'd have Ashley Williams, Michel Vorm, Lovren and Bertrand in defense. It can't get more midtable than that

Allen and Borini are absolutely hopeless, too. The guy needs sacking, he's out of his depth
Commolli looking ok right about now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DDG was man of the match but really apart from that one save from Balo, none were world class stops. We consistently had 1 v 1's and hit the ball right at him.

He does what Schmeichel used to do, which is stay on his feet until the absolute last second, meaning the attacker has to commit to where he wants to put the ball (which will often lead to a weak or misplaced shot, as a good striker will always wait for the 'keeper to move first). It's a cat and mouse game and the ability and nerve to stay upright is a trait only the best 'keepers have.

It's not a coincidence that so many one on ones and clear chances get hit at him.

Lovren cost Liverpool 17m + Agger.
Getting rid of Agger was one of BR's biggest mistakes. He may not have played much but his leadership would be significant right now off the field, in training as well as the dressing room. Outside of Gerrard, Henderson and perhaps Skrtel there isn't anyone who comes across as a leader to help fix whatever is going wrong.

Lamela is a walking red card. Everything he's learned in Serie A is the antithesis of the Premier League. Could have been sent off three times tonight...

That two-footed studs up tackle was outrageous. Very lucky he didn't make contact with Montero. The elbow (also on Montero) and that tackle were at least as worthy of yellow cards and he should of been off.

Getting rid of Agger was one of BR's biggest mistakes. He may not have played much but his leadership would be significant right now off the field, in training as well as the dressing room. Outside of Gerrard, Henderson and perhaps Skrtel there isn't anyone who comes across as a leader to help fix whatever is going wrong.

Agree with this. If you look back at our record under Benitez and later under Dalglish we were always known for being one of the more difficult sides to break down defensively. First with Hyypia marshalling the defence, when he retired Carragher stepped in to organise the back 4, Carragher retired and Agger filled that void. The ability to read the play and organise his team mates was one of Agger's biggest strengths, we've brought in Lovren to replace him and it seems as though he can't even organise his own shoe laces, let alone the positioning of his team mates.

Individually the players we have back there have shown in the past that they aren't bad footballers, but collectively they just look an absolute mess - it seems none of them are willing or capable of taking responsibility, providing that on-field leadership and organising the defence. It's no coincidence that we've brought in half a dozen new defenders over the last few years and none of them have looked comfortable, I've been saying it for a while but in my opinion our defensive problems come down to communication and organisation - 2 qualities which are even more important when you play a system that is as attacking as ours as the decision making needs to happen that much quicker.

Liverpool under Houllier, Benitez and Dalglish played a much deeper defensive line. Focus was on not conceding, and defenders love playing in that sort of setup.

Put Liverpools back 4 in a Mourinho side and I reckon they'd be fine. They'd have a couple of midfielders helping them out, and they would be midfielders that can defend (hi welsh xavi).

Only the best players are capable of thriving in an attack focussed style of play. We had one (Nastasic) that looked great under Mancini, but clueless under the more attacking play favoured by Pellegrini.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back